cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

Unfair44
Journeyman III

6900XT Causing System To Freeze

My system runs fine for the most part but I'll have these random freezes occur. The audio still works but both of my monitors freeze. When this happens I have to immediately power off the system and if I don't my Adrenalin driver becomes corrupt and needs to be reinstalled. Sometimes I get lucky and it doesn't happen at all for a day or two but then other days it happens constantly. I have no idea what it causing the issue and cannot replicate it due to its random nature. All I can do is attempt possible solution after possible solution and wait to see if it happens again. It used to not do this and my hardware hasn't changed since I first installed the card. It can happen either in games or at idle. There have even been instances where I turned my PC on, left the room, and found it frozen when I returned. I've done numerous searches for a solution attempting everything I can and contacted AMD support and I'm still nowhere even close to a fix.

I have attempted all of the following in attempt to fix this to no avail:

Updated GPU and chipset drivers

Letting Windows update GPU driver and not messing with the Adrenalin software

Prevent Windows from updating the GPU driver and using Adrenalin instead

Overclocked GPU

Undervolted GPU

Rolled back to older GPU drivers

Update BIOS

Update Windows 10

Re-install Windows 10

Perfomed a clean boot

Disabled freesync on my main monitor

Ran /scannow in command prompt. It didn't find any issues.

Disabled hardware acceleration in my web browser.

And I'm sure there are other things I've attempted that I've simply forgotten about because I've tried too many things to count at this point. I've been trying to fix this for the better part of a year now.

There was only one thing that has seemed to work so far and that was using Linux. For reasons unrelated to this issue, I tried switching to it for a bit. I didn't end up liking it and went back to Windows, but the issue didn't occur during that timeframe that I spent on Linux. This tells me that the issue most likely has something to do with something Windows specific that simply doesn't apply in another OS but I have no clue as to what it could possibly be.

Specs:

GPU: Reference model 6900XT

Motherboard: MSI X570 Creation

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X

RAM: 32GB GSkill Trident Z

PSU: Thermaltake 1050w 80+gold

SSD: Samsung 990 Pro 2TB

Everything is water cooled, so temperatures have never been an issue.

If someone could help me finally solve this issue that would be amazing. I really don't want to have to switch back to team green as a last resort since an equivalent card or upgrade wouldn't exactly be cheap.

0 Likes
0 Replies