cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Jeirgen111
Adept I

6800xt sometimes work sometimes doesn't.

I'm reposting here, because I didn't receieve any reply in reddit. 

I'm encountering a problem with my PC and could use some advice. When I start my PC from a cold boot, it crashes after 5-10 minutes. After crashing, it won't boot up, showing "no signal" on my monitor, and the VGA light on the motherboard lights up. During this state, the GPU fans stop spinning.

However, if I turn off the PC and wait for 10-15 minutes, I can boot it up and use it for long periods without any issues. I benchmarked for 20 minutes and was able to play games without errors, yesterday I used it for 12hours straight. I'm also able to restart the PC normally without it crashing, when it's working normally. This problem repeats when I start the PC the next day or wait long periods of time.

This issue started to become a problem just 6 days ago. I've searched for problems like this, but none of the fixes worked, or some posts never updated how they fixed it.

* GPU: 6800XT (bought second hand a month ago)

**Troubleshooting Steps I've Taken:**

* Reset CMOS
* Replaced the motherboard
* Reseated the GPU and RAM
* Tested with different CPU
* Tested with different PSU
* Tested with different RAM
* Tried different DisplayPort ports and cables
* Plugged into a different power outlet
* Used DDU to reinstall GPU drivers
* Downgraded to previous GPU drivers
* Monitored temps (not overheating)
* Turning XMP on and off

I'm hesitant to update the BIOS again because I accidentally bricked my previous motherboard attempting to fix this issue, leading to the purchase of a new one.

Given all the steps I've taken, I'm starting to worry that my GPU might be faulty. If anyone has experienced similar issues or has suggestions on what I could try next, I'd really appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: After downgrading to 23.12.1 and restarting windows with files kept, pc now crashes within a minute of booting, not the usual 5-10mins.

Edit: Also sometimes when I shutdown and open the pc for a couple of times due to no signal and I am able to boot, the gpu drivers are disabled and have the Error 31 when I enable it. I fix this issue by using Driver Booster to update or fix the faulty driver

MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI, AMD Ryzen 5 5600, XFX Merc 319 6800xt, Cooler Master MWE 750W Bronze V2, TFORCE Dark Za 32(16x2)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Jeirgen111
Adept I

GPU was faulty

MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI, AMD Ryzen 5 5600, XFX Merc 319 6800xt, Cooler Master MWE 750W Bronze V2, TFORCE Dark Za 32(16x2)

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Hardwood
Paragon

Good question. Do I have an answer? No. But I'm leaning heavily into bad gpu. When you buy used you roll the dice.

I see you're new here. It would help a LOT if you posted your system specs. There's a spot in your profile to make it permanent and added to your posts.

good luck!

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB
0 Likes

I see. What's unusual is that I'm currently using the PC without any errors, after having to turn it on and off a couple of times due to the issue. *I just added my system specs, thanks.

0 Likes
ulieq
Adept III

Plug into another PCI slot instead of the main PCI slot and try to see if its your mobo

0 Likes

My motherboard only has 1 PCI-E X16 slot, unfortunately.

0 Likes
Jeirgen111
Adept I

I don't know why, but when I boot it from hibernate today, it didn't crash.

0 Likes

Nope, after working for 3 days. It crashed during my boot from hibernate today

0 Likes
Jeirgen111
Adept I

GPU was faulty

0 Likes