cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

RBuck8339
Journeyman III

6800XT Not Being Used

Around last month I got a new Radeon 6800XT graphics card and last night it started to fail on me. Shortly after turning on my PC a black square appeared in the bottom right corner of my screen. I attempted to run some games, and low demand games worked fine but high demand games would refused to run above 4fps. This morning, I figured out that my PC is only running on integrated graphics and is not utilizing the GPU. The device does not appear within BIOS but does appear within device manager and task manager with no usage values. When in BIOS, the card lights up and the fans turn on. I have already taken out and reseated the graphics card multiple times and ensured that all the cables are plugged in. I do not hear any noises when moving the graphics card so I doubt there is a loose part. Thank you for any help.

1 Reply
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

So, I don't see how you could be running on the integrated graphics unless you plugged your monitor cable into the motherboard.  There is simply no other way to get that signal to the monitor.  I suggest you first make sure your HDMI or Display Port cable is plugged into your 6800XT.  Next, boot into the BIOS and check for which graphics (integrated or PCIe) is set to initialize first.  You want the PCIe to be first up.  Also look for the setting of either PCIe 3.0 or 4.0.  Start with PCIe 4.0 first (more bandwidth) and if that causes issues, drop down to the PCIe 3.0 setting.

Now get back to us and let us know if your 6800XT is being used.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes