cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

evansiaf
Journeyman III

6800xt don’t boot

Before 2 weeks I buy a xfx 6800xt , yesterday when I try to power on my pc didn’t boot. After many try’s I realise then I plug-in the second left 8pin don’t boot. 
My psu is a Corsair 750w and the second 8pin cable are connected with the first 8pin cable. Any suggestion?

0 Likes
9 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I advise using two separate 8pin cables for the 6800 XT.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
evansiaf
Journeyman III

but I wonder why it was working at first. Could this create a problem with the card, for example a short circuit

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Not that I am aware of. The problem would be with the cable not being able to draw enough power. The TGP of my GPU is 264w so only using one cable would only provide the 75w from the PCIe slot and then the 150 from the cable. That only totals to 225w which is not enough to really use the GPU to its fullest abilities. 

I also came across issues where the cable would melt to the 8pin connector because the cables are only rated for 150w each and using both connectors it would try to pull the full 300w and ruin the cable and the GPU.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
evansiaf
Journeyman III

first of all, thank you for the answer. I tried to put two separate 8pins but the problem continues. if the card has no cables connected at all, the card's lights turn on and the computer starts, the same when the card is only connected to the right 8pin, for this reason I fear that the card was working with the wrong connection, causing some damage to the left socket 8pin.

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Are you able to get into the BIOS when both 8pins are connected or does the system just behave as if it has no power running through it. Do fans spin, or lights turn on when both are connected?

0 Likes
evansiaf
Journeyman III

no nothing turns on when both are connected, not even the processor gets power

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

In situations like these I would normally remove hardware until it powers on. You confirmed it behaves like you have power when one of the GPU 8pins is disconnected so I would assume this to be a GPU issue. Do you have access to other machines that you could try using the GPU in?

0 Likes
evansiaf
Journeyman III

Unfortunately I don't have any other machine or psu that I could test if it works. I think it should be seen by a technician. Do you know if I should talk to the brand I bought it from or is there some way to send it directly to amd

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

You would need to speak to the retailer or the company that put it all together.

0 Likes