cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

JCrombe
Adept I

6800 XT, Full system Black Screen crash in some games

I've experienced black screen crashes in various games. Primarily Hunt: Showdown and Valheim.

Crashes are an intermittent, unpredictable, between 5 mins to 2 hours after launching a game. Crashing to a black screen. Audio continues for 2-10 seconds afterwards. I can broadcast on Discord for around 1s after crash. Recovery requires a hard restart.

Things I've tested and eliminated:

-2 CPUs (Air and water-cooled)

-2 Motherboards

-Different RAM, XMP on and Off

-Windows Reinstall

-CPU voltage settings, Overvolt, Undervolt, Locked, Boosting

-GPU settings, Overvolt, Undervolt, Underclock, Fully stressed (1440p 144hz High settings), Unstressed (1080p 60fps cap, Low settings)

-Drivers 20.12.3, 21.2.1, 21.3.2, and without Adrenaline software suite

System Specs:R7 1700, and R7 5800x
Gigabyte AB350n, and Asus B550-I
Gskill 3000 mhz 16x2 Trident RGB, Gskill 3000mhz 16x1 Ripjaws V
LianLi 750w SFX PSU (64GB 12v rail)
Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD (additional SATA SSD And HDD as well)

I have not been able to test without the riser cable I have installed. But given the similar symptoms others have experienced, I hope that isn't the issue. I have also not been able to test with a different PSU.

This is all on the newest 103 / 49 vbios. MSI Gaming X Trio AMD 6800 XT. I installed the MSI Live updated and it shows fully updated.

Further observations, there appears to be 2 different crashes to black screen that require a soft reboot. One while in menus, audio stops immediately, fans continue then coast to a stop.One in game where the audio continues for several seconds and the fans ramp up to full.

0 Likes
1 Solution

MSI just released a new VBIOS. I'm testing now. Its been ok for the last hour or so. But I never know when the crashes are coming.

Vbios 104 / BIOS Version 020.001.000.060

Check your manufacturers VBIOS update tools

View solution in original post

0 Likes
14 Replies
Lukk
Adept I

Have that same problem with 6900XT , system reboot when playing Outsiders , after 4h , 6h,1h,5s etc....

Dirt 4 crash to windows after +/- 50m of gaming....

Try everything  

Any solution???

0 Likes

MSI just released a new VBIOS. I'm testing now. Its been ok for the last hour or so. But I never know when the crashes are coming.

Vbios 104 / BIOS Version 020.001.000.060

Check your manufacturers VBIOS update tools

0 Likes

there is no new bios for my card so its no solution form me

0 Likes

A solution that worked for me was to enable a custom overclocking profile and limit the max boost frequency to a stock 2250mhz.  Newer drivers were taking my card up past 2300+mhz and I'm thinking select cards just can't handle it. (Kind of like a CPU lottery but for GPUs. If there is such a thing.)

Updating drivers seems to reset my profile or return it to default too, so look out for that... It's infuriating when you final get a good match of Halo going only to crash to a hard lock up....

My symptoms were identical to OPs, complete with the 2-10 of discord broadcasting. Just enough time to tell the boyz I've crashed and they are on there own!

0 Likes
Lukk
Adept I

Have that same problem with 6900xt

System Reboot when playing outsiders after 3,5,1h 3s ,5s etc....

Dirt 4 crash to windows after +/- 40-50m of gaming

Try everything....

Any solution???

0 Likes

*** Dirt 5 not 4

0 Likes

I've literally spent 5+ full days trying to debug this issue, with no solution yet. Sorry. 

I'm hoping to get some feedback/support from AMD here.

0 Likes

someone has any ideas??? 

0 Likes

I think the driver has an error, try to delete everything like this ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlArjfV-fEM&t=14s&ab_channel=WePC

0 Likes

Thanks but this is not solution I install fresh system , still that same....

earlier I have 2070 super everything work perfectly , no crash no restarts... so I borrowed 3080 from my friend put inside my pc and... everything work ,no crash no restarts ....

I try a lot of things that I find on internet , still that same problem....
Change PSU , try different Ram , CPU.... problem is a GPU , the restarts starts when I I bought 6900XT 

Any ideas ?

0 Likes

I had the same problems with my aorus 5700 xt ...
When you are in the game what is your temperature? I mean gpu junctions, when my temperature exceeded 90C it happened that my pc restarted. If your temperature reaches 90C, try to increase the fan speed. At the moment, I have solved the problem that way, I plan to change the thermal paste and thermal drops.
I use google translator, don't blame me if something is wrong with the text, but I wanted to help because we have the same trouble. Good luck

0 Likes

nope , its not the solution .....   but thanks

0 Likes

Change firmware or reinstall drivers

0 Likes

hi. i apologise if i am stating teh obvious here ---  i can only guess this is driver issue. your system i'm sure you connected everything proper. once had this issue with my RX480 when i first installed it. happened few days after installation of a driver AMD software. it seems to happen frequently with AMD cards. for some reason a re-install of teh software used on previous card helped. later i updated to a non beta software update and no issues like that. any crash i get is game related rather than software. for example Doom eternal will sometimes just crash and close but an other game like Cyberpunk works fine. 

0 Likes