cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

user3
Journeyman III

6750 XT - Do I have a bottleneck?

I got a MSI 6750 XT yesterday, but I've been having pretty bad performance in games.

My PC:

i5-7400 @ 3.00 GHz

Asus H110M-CS

2x8 GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz

XPG Pylon 650W

I understand there's a big bottleneck with this CPU, but I'm just not sure if it’s just that. I'm not knowlegeable enough to understand the metrics I'm getting. 

I get 65 FPS in Witcher 3 (DX11) with Low settings, everything turned off and at 720p, with occasional stutterings. CPU utilization is above 95%, GPU doesn't seem to go beyond 30%.

Going to Ultra+ at the same resolution gets me about 35 FPS, with the rest staying the same. 1080p as well, except the GPU goes up to about 50%.

I also ran two benchmarks: 3DMark's Time Spy and Furmark, and got the average scores this GPU gets. 

What I've tried so far:

- DDU in Safe Mode

- Update BIOS 

- Reset BIOS

- Undervolt GPU (through the Auto setting in Adrenalin) 

- Turn off IGPU in BIOS

- Disable MPO

- Everything is up-to-date

So, is this just a bottleneck? How can I be sure?

I wasn't feeling like buying new parts right now, but since I just got this GPU, I'd like to know if I should return it or wait until I can buy a new Mobo and CPU. 

0 Likes
7 Replies
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

Its not just your CPU, your current system does not support pci gen 4 so your card will be running at pci gen 3. While average fps doesnt have a big difference the lows might have. 

So that would explain stuttering. 

The first time I came across this very symptons we still had AGP slots and PCi e was starting to be the way to go.

I stubbornly sticked with a flagship AGP Radeon at the time instead of PCi version. Average fps was great but the stuttering was noticeable. 

Keep in mind this is just one theory, you could have another problem. 

Conclusion, start thinking on a up to date system, if you live near a microcenter, an affordable B550 and a 5600x3d would do wonders. 

Good luck 

The Englishman
0 Likes

Is there something else I can do to be sure it's a bottleneck?

I'd hate to spend money on a new system and realize I just have a faulty GPU that I can't return. 

0 Likes

Hi again,
I'm sorry, I skipped this part, sometimes phone browsing its not that easy.

@user3 wrote:

I get 65 FPS in Witcher 3 (DX11) with Low settings, everything turned off and at 720p, with occasional stutterings. CPU utilization is above 95%, GPU doesn't seem to go beyond 30%.

This demonstrates 100% sure bottlenecking. CPU is trying to deliver as fast as possible while GPU is waiting. 

@user3 wrote:

I also ran two benchmarks: 3DMark's Time Spy and Furmark, and got the average scores this GPU gets. 

Because those are synthetic benchmarks made to test the GPU only, since you get average scores for the 6750XT it indicates the GPU is performing as it should. That is a good sign, for the GPU of course.

Lastly:
If you have a friend with a newer system, you can try your GPU there. At least you will clear your mind and avoid spending money.

The Englishman
0 Likes
backFireX64
Forerunner

The bottleneck is the cpu and ram.

0 Likes

Went to this FPS/BOTTLENECK website that gives you a general idea of your FPS in various games and amount of CPU or GPU Bottleneck involved: https://www.cpuagent.com/build-compare/intel-core-i5-7400-vs-intel-core-i9-13900k/summary/amd-radeon...

The website doesn't show a Radeon RX6750XT so I use the next closest GPU card the Radeon RX6700XT with your CPU and RAM inputted:

Screenshot 2023-07-08 152846.png

Screenshot 2023-07-09 124231.png

Seems to be your CPU is too under-powered for your GPU card plus there also due to your RAM speed there is some Memory bottle-necking also involved.

NOTE: In other website about Bottle-necking mentions anything above 10% is considered to be bottle-necking.

0 Likes
user3
Journeyman III

Thank you all for the help. 

I was waiting for DDR5 to become more popular and cheaper before upgrading my system, and I hoped the 6750 would help me hold on for a while until that happened. It saddens me to be getting such poor performance, though. 

Is it worth it to upgrade right now? I should say, I live in Brazil, and PC parts here are really expensive, so I need to consider that as well. 

0 Likes

I would say yes but keep it simple and playable, don't go for a massive upgrade if you are tight on money.

Brazil is not an easy market I know.

Maybe a B550 Am4 board, a 5600 non X and 16Gb to go. This is around the same price as Portugal.

This list is not the cheapest of them all but I would say its spot on. I'll let you decide.

See some youtubers playing the same games as you do and check their opinions.

Boa Sorte!

johnnyenglish_1-1689000454313.png

The Englishman