cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Kagenomure
Adept I

2 Monitor set up safe operating temp

Hello. I am curious as i am trying to google i t but i cant seem to find the right info as i seem to find mixed information. I currently have in my pc an AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT 8gig dual fan card.  I like to run 2 monitors on my pc at time when i play a game. so i can have my game on one monitor and youtube on the other (i tend to need something in the background so i dont fall asleep). I use a program called MSI after burner to keep an eye on the temp and it shows me GPU temp (2 of them) so im guessing there for both monitors. one monitor average between 62 to 75 and the other shows between 68 to 85 (once it hit 93 but then both droped and average 63) So i am not sure if that is normal or not. Also for my card in particual what is the max safe operating temp that it can run at

0 Likes
1 Solution

Someone else with gaming experience can help you with your question.

You can input that info in this website that will tell you in a general way how many FPS in various games and if there will be any bottlenecking from either your GPU or CPU: FPS & Bottleneck Calculator 

I decided to input the following in the above Calculater:

I5-10400 Intel processor

AMD Radeon RX 5500XT

16GB RAM @ 3600Mhz

This is the result it shows:

Screenshot 2023-09-02 151016.png

Screenshot 2023-09-02 151258.png

From another bottleneck website it states anything at or above 10% is considered to be bottleneck.

You can check out various games FPS at various Resolutions that website tested to give a general idea how well your hardware will function in various games.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
13 Replies

The 5000 series GPU cards have a Maximum Operating Temperature of 110c. That means once any of the various thermal sensors in the GPU card reaches 110c Hot Spot temperature the GPU card will automatically start to throttle to keep the temperature at 110c or below.

So anything below 100c is fine as far as temperatures goes. The GPU card is engineered to run at 110c but best to try and keep it below 100c in my opinion.

0 Likes

that is what i try to do, but for a while before you answered i did not know the temp so even with 2 monitors as long as the temps dont go above 100 c i should be good?

0 Likes

Actually as long as your GPU card Hot spot doesn't reach 110c or above you are okay.

But keeping the hot spot below 100c is better than having the temperature reach 110c. In another words the cooler you run the GPU card the better.

But the GPU card is made to run normally up to 110c.

0 Likes

what is the hotspot exactly, i have never heard of it before

0 Likes

This tech article gives you an in-depth explanation of what a GPU Hot Spot is and how to prevent it from overheating: https://robots.net/tech/what-is-gpu-hotspot-temperature/

0 Likes

Ok. i found the amd software on the pc to help monitor the gpu temp. One last question. Is there a way to find out what the hotspot temp should be so when i monitor it i can keep an eye on it

0 Likes

Um, have you been reading my previous posts in this thread?

Your maximum GPU Card Hotspot Temperature is 110c. That is what you should be keeping an eye on. 

Make sure the temperature never goes above 110c. Otherwise you will need to start troubleshooting to find out why it is overheating.

Besides keeping an eye on your GPU card's overall performance. That it doesn't decrease for some reason.

0 Likes

Oh, i saw that but i thought when you said it had a hotspot temp that it was something different. I am sorry i must have miss read it when i read it the first time

0 Likes

Thanks I sorta figured you had misunderstood me.

No problem.

It best to try run your GPU card as cool as possible even though it was manufactured to run at 110c.

Anyway post if you have any issues connecting your 2 monitors in the future.

Take care.

0 Likes

So far the hotspot temp seems to be hovering when i am just watching youtbe and netflix to be about 40-41, and when i game it goes between 55 to 77c (sometimes 80) but nothing higher then that so far, i will be getting a 3rd fan in it soon but for now are those good temps

Those are very good Hotspot temps for gaming. You GPU card fans are doing a good job at keeping your card fairly cool under heavy loads.

0 Likes

That's good, my panic is over then for that. But just curious, can the following specs on a pc handle gaming and streaming. I5 10400 with 16gb of ram, Radeon Rx 5500 xt 8gb card on windows 11

0 Likes

Someone else with gaming experience can help you with your question.

You can input that info in this website that will tell you in a general way how many FPS in various games and if there will be any bottlenecking from either your GPU or CPU: FPS & Bottleneck Calculator 

I decided to input the following in the above Calculater:

I5-10400 Intel processor

AMD Radeon RX 5500XT

16GB RAM @ 3600Mhz

This is the result it shows:

Screenshot 2023-09-02 151016.png

Screenshot 2023-09-02 151258.png

From another bottleneck website it states anything at or above 10% is considered to be bottleneck.

You can check out various games FPS at various Resolutions that website tested to give a general idea how well your hardware will function in various games.

0 Likes