Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Julius1
Journeyman III

100% GPU usage at 5/16 GB

Hello,

i have build a pc with the rx6800 and i have one big problem. When i am playing rdr2 my 3D GPU usage goes up to 100% the gpu heats up to almost 80°C but the maximum usage is at 5gb but could use 16gb. What could the problem be? 

Thank you already. 

0 Likes
5 Replies
FunkZ
Paragon

The GPU utilization will vary depending on game settings. Texture quality, effects, lighting, shadows, reflections, anti-aliasing and ray tracing will all impact GPU utilization. Also the display resolution and whether you have a frame cap enabled.

Post your game settings and your monitor refresh rate.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes

my spacs are 

R5 5600x 

B550 Gigabyte Aorus Elite V2 

2x16gb 3600mhz ram 

rx6800 

The problem is that in the game says that i am using 4700 mb of vram and 700mb of vram for windows and stuff like that, so in total arouand 5.4gb of vram but in rdr2 it says that i have 16agb avalible but my in my task manager it looks like the vram is capped. 

In other games it wasnt a problem to use 8 gb vram or more. 

In MW 2 i had the option to say how much vram the game has avalible to use. So if i say, that it can use 16 gb, the whole 16gb will be used by the game even if it just need 3 or something like that. But that option isnt avalible in rdr2.

0 Likes

I asked what your game settings are. Your initial post said GPU was at 100% and temperature was high. Now you state that VRAM utilization is low? At this point I'm not sure what problem you're trying to solve, if there even is a problem? The game will use what it needs to use, based on the settings.

0 Likes

Oh my bad i thought cause you stated them i was supposed to do that to. 

So my refreshrate is set to 144 and my game settings were set to high/ultra. I thought that was the issue and i put ist all the way down to low/medium. The problem then was ist sayed it is using 3200mb of vram and in the task manager it again said 100% but it was only using 4.1 gb of vram. 

The weird thing is, when I am in the loading screen it says it is using 8% of my vram and it is at around 4gb of vram after i loaded in to the game the vram usage didnt change. No matter if it was on ultra or low but trhe usage both times went up to 100% even when it used less vram. 

And yes for shure the game takes what it need but both times either on low or on high settings it says 100% usage even with less vram used. 

Sorry for my missunderstanding and thank you for your help. 

0 Likes
FunkZ
Paragon

Here's a vid of RDR2 on a 6800XT and even at 1080p it sits near 100% utilization.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nxf5uYANd8

0 Likes