cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

idiot_prince
Journeyman III

XFX Speedster MERC 310 Black Edition Radeon RX 7900 XT 20 GB Video Card - games crash on launch

I have to apologise if I don't give the right information/write something that obviously shouldn't have been done, I finally decided to stop putting myself in financial ruin with razer laptops so this is my first pc build. Here is a list of the parts I used:

AMD Ryzen 5 7600 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor

Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler

MSI PRO B650-P WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard

G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL30 Memory

Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive

XFX Speedster MERC 310 Black Edition Radeon RX 7900 XT 20 GB Video Card

Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

I have left out the case out as I assume it won't be relevant to this. So my setup was relatively straight forward with the usual beginners hiccups. Once I got to the software stage, I downloaded the MSI wifi, bluetooth and other "utility" drivers manually through a USB. Following this, I bounced around the Windows Updater, MSI Center, Driver Easy (I have a one year subscription off a promo) and the AMD auto-updater (don't remember the exact name) to fill in the gaps. So, when I started running my games off steam I didn't get what I was expecting with this setup. My friend designed the build to be able to run starfield on top graphics, but unless I was playing less "heavy" games like RimWorld, my FPS would crash as soon as I got into the gameplay. Starfield went from 120 to less than 10, additionally Skyrim went from 60 (I put a limit on) to 13. The latter was a test to see if Starfield was just not functioning or it was on my side, suffice to say I got my answer. Anyway, disappointed with the outcome I decided to have a look around my laptop to solve the situation in another way than just repeatedly refreshing my software updaters.

That's when I saw in my default high performance GPU in settings was set at AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics rather than the other option, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT. I selected that one, thinking the system might have defaulted to an integrated Graphics Card for power saving purposes (idk). I then headed off to my games, thinking this would be it. However, now, if I open a game, it crashes within a couple seconds of the game going fullscreen. Note, this happens on any games, even those like RimWorld which worked fine before. Now (and I know nothing about these things), it seems there may be something to changing the default high performance option, but I must have set it up wrong software wise. In any case, I would appreciate any advice whether it is a direct fix to this which comes to mind or more general in nature if anything I've said is inaccurate. Just want to enjoy my first setup and a few new games!

0 Likes
0 Replies