cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

roco_smith
Journeyman III

Re: X370 needs Zen3 too!

At least they should give support for the top of the line X370 boards , for the AM4 socket . When AM5 socket it the market the upgrade to a new motherboard and CPU will be more pleasant 

niki4xxxxx
Journeyman III

Indeed, there is no reason x370 should be left without Zen 3. There is no sense in buying new mobo just for pci4, but buying new Zen3 instead of used Zen2 is profitable for both clients and AMD.

Asus Roh Crosshair VI Extreme / Hero are worth to be able to run Zen3. Maybe other mobos as well, but it's just I use C6E )

mito1172
Journeyman III

I bought c6h trusting AMD but amd cheated on us

kzampog
Journeyman III

I bought my X370 Taichi in 2017 trusting future proofness promises that included 2020, and I also went through all the hoops the original author mentions...

lfx64
Adept III

I have a X370 board and I disagree. We've had Zen, Zen+ and Zen 2. A Zen 2 chip will last ages now. I just think some AMD users are becoming spoilt. Don't ruin a good thing by harping on AMD to give you more than they already do. My 3700X will last me years and I've already had my motherboard for two and half years already. By the time I need a new CPU my board will likely be 5+ years old.

Nobody forces people into early adoption of new platforms. X370 is still good. If you want to upgrade that often then you're almost beyond the typical consumer and should be buying new boards anyway if you're wanting to buy new chips every few years. There are limitations to X370 and we've had lots of time with this chipset. It's time to stop being greedy and either A) stick with Zen 2 - which is more than powerful enough not to bottleneck modern high-end GPUs - or B) get a new board and a new Zen 3 chip and keep the old setup as a spare or sell it.

0 Likes
john1000
Adept II

Since Zen 3's announcement, I've been doing Google searches on x370 & Zen3 and I'm surprised on the number of people talking about X370 and hoping for Zen 3 compatibility.  I read WCCFTech's article on the announcement and in the second paragraph, he indicates that motherboard "manufacturers have independently confirmed that even some 300 series boards would be supported through a BETA BIOS."

I think that's encouraging.  If my motherboards get BIOS support, I'd upgrade my 1800x to a 5800x and my 2700x to a 5950x.

Not going to happen. AMD has already confirmed they will not give AIBs the required code in order to implement Zen 3 support on 300 series chipsets.

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

The problem with the older motherboards, the BIOS chip is 16MB and there is not enough room. The X570 come with a 32MB chip which does have more room, and the B550 also has the larger 32MB chip.

MSI has released some MAX line boards with B450 and X470 with more CPU compatibility as they have the larger 32MB chips on them,

0 Likes
john1000
Adept II

They changed their mind on 400 series, maybe they will for 300 series as well.  MSI had launched a bunch of Max motherboards with 32MB BIOS sizes promising future compatibility with all AM4 CPU's back in 2019.  I think that issue had a fair bit to do with the reversal of AMD to change their minds in supporting 400 series boards.  

By the way, one of those Max motherboards was the A320M-A Pro Max.  Maybe that will be the only 300 series chipset to be supported by Zen 3.

ajlueke
Grandmaster

The major problem is a lot of the X370 motherboards weren't designed for the power draw of the newer processors.  

AMD probably feels some users would burn up their boards.  The X570 boards are better quality pretty much all around.

0 Likes