Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Qanatoz
Challenger

RX6500 XT 4 pcie lanes feedback

So it happened.

AMD released GPU for "gamers".

It seem some people inside AMD engineer team hate gamers so much so they cut 8GB to 4gb with only 4 pcie lanes!

For example if you want to play with pcie 4.0 4x you need to buy new motherboard and CPU. If you bought Ryzen APU then you DON'T WANT to buy this GPU.

With pcie 3.0 4x you will lose 40-60% performance in HD games with medium-high settings.

Ryzen APU support only pcie 3.0 for dedicated GPU and other devices.

Say what you think about this one GPU with 500-600 USD prices.

1 Solution

People gotta whine just to whine,don't like it,don't buy it.simple.

View solution in original post

15 Replies

I believe you need a minimum of PCIe 3.0 x 8 slot. 

Please post your computer information especially your motherboard and GPU Make & Model.

Also run GPU-Z and upload the image to see what data it shows for your GPU card and if the AMD driver is properly working.

0 Likes

I want to know opinion of people.

This GPU have only 4 (FOUR) pcie lanes physically.

Qanatoz_0-1642621100590.png

Qanatoz_0-1642621907656.png

0 Likes

LoL, okay.

Obviously you don't understand what PCIe 3.0 x 8 means. I advise you google it to get your answer.

I understand how it affect gaming with low GPU memory capacity. Maybe my English is Bad, but your understanding of issue is worse.

0 Likes

You are the one that has understanding issues concerning PCIe 3.0 and PCIe  4.0.

Like I said to google like I  did and I found what I was looking for: https://www.trentonsystems.com/blog/pcie-gen4-vs-gen3-slots-speeds

Screenshot 2022-01-17 213739.png

PCIe 4.0 x 4 has the same bandwidth as PCIe 3.0 x 8 so if you have the GPU card install in a PCIe 3.0 x 4 slot it will have 50% less bandwidth which will greatly decrease your game playing.

Like I mentioned  you don't understand what PCIe 3.0 and PCIe 4.0 means.

Say. What will happen if your game used all of that 4 GB of memory and used PC RAM for caching?

With 4 lanes PCIE 3.0 you have only 4 GB/s bandwidth. For example we have DDR4 for cache all that foliage that can't fit into 4 GB VRAM.

Qanatoz_0-1642622826229.png

Guess what? It will be limited by 4 GB/s PCIE 3.0 4x.

You will suffer even with 16x, but not that severe as with 4x lanes.

You can check how it playable rx580 vs rx6500 XT with 1440p resolution. Note that Benchmark is not FAIR because RX6500 XT using pcie 4.0 and we need to compare when it limited by pcie 3.0. Because we bought APU Ryzen 5700G for example

PS. No hardware encoding so no streaming because people will see your low end gameplay.

0 Likes

People gotta whine just to whine,don't like it,don't buy it.simple.

@kingfish  Just brought to my attention about your GPU Card being used in PCIe 3.0 slots on a motherboard: https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/330755-amds-new-radeon-rx-6500-xt-tested-with-pcie-3-0-and-the-re...

They will explain about the issues you are having with your RX6500 GPU card on a PCIe 3.0 slot.

rockym20
Adept II

I'm of 2 minds on this card:

1) Due to its limitations, its a card I would never buy, even for my wife who doesn't really game (but does do some content creation).

2) It's kind of a "better than nothing" card.  Due to its limitations, it probably won't get scalped.  As a basic 1080p gaming card for an AMD or new Intel system, it isn't terrible.  It is cheaper than the used market prices for most comparable cards out there right now, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a revision with more VRAM to come out once Ethereum goes POS and the demand for GPU's from miners drops off significantly.

@rockym20 It is already scalped.

Scalpers bought it directly from dealers and now selling it for 400-600 usd.

Our local AMD distributor raised prices to 525-600 usd.

Qanatoz_0-1642785831808.png

One of many funny feedback - "Guys, stop posting about how much trash it is for that price. I can't catch up to you to put like to your post"

@Ryan_SagareThank you for your reply. I personally wont buy this piece of hardware because it is downgrade in comparison to GPU's from 2016.

- You can't use it potential with all Desktop APU from AMD. This one may be usable if AMD's APU's will support PCIE 4.0 but they support only PCIE 3.0.

- If you use performance CPU's(without graphics core but with bigger L3 cache) then you don't have hardware encoder.

- You can't use it with Intel APU's before Rocket Lake for same reason as with ALL AMD's APU.

PS. miners already buying it for Toncoin(1.1 GH/s) and other crypto where you need high frequencies for GPU.

Qanatoz_1-1642788212383.png

The more times people buying - the more they post bad reviews.

Of course gpu's already sold, but they will reappear after people give them back to seller.

So what under cooling system?

0 Likes

There sure is a lot of bad press surrounding this product. I got a chance to talk with Matt Hummel yesterday on Meet the Experts and gained some fantastic insight on the 6500XT. 

Click here if you want to learn more about AMD Radeon™ RX 6500 XT Graphics Cards.

1192606-MTE-radeon-6500-xt-logo-1200x628.jpg

I mean, call it what it is. A really bad card at a worse price. Nvidia has continued to keep production low and demand high while AMD seems to be focusing on supplying consoles > GPU's and that is fine. I suppose the million dollar question is why I wouldn't hold a month and give Intel a chance? I have no problem with AMD changing focus to build less PC GPU's and more consoles. I have no problem with Nvidia taking advantage of that to strangle the supply chain of GPU's and gouging us for every penny. The question is now that another supplier may actually focus on US, the PC gamer, would we ever consider this half baked stop gap solution from people who simply don't have supplying us GPUs as their main focus? It is an honest question but reading between the lines, you'd sure like to have a the GPU market around if we'd somehow just ignore competition for years.

Some streaming experience - 1080p only.

Does not looking good.

I wish AMD will learn from this error.

You can fix encoder/decoder absence with MCM chip package, just build it with mature and cheaper 12-14 nm.
If you building system when you need to use only 4 or less lane then ship it with more VRAM or BIG cache to fix 1% low frame-rate.
Everything(loyalty, reputation, community) will be crashed when your "piece of art" does not meet expectation - people will compare it to other products that close to pricing even if it was old one.
You can cut raytracing in such budget chip, but don't touch features that used commonly by much people.
Every gamer by default a streamer and want to look Netflix, YouTube and else with AV1.

0 Likes

It is worse than Geforce 1650 when your PC support only PCIE 3.0.

0 Likes