cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

kalam
Journeyman III

windows 11

we went windows 11 support in ryzen 3 2200g please .........

0 Likes
22 Replies
PocketDerg
Adept II

If your CPU doesn't have a TPM, you will have to get one onto your motherboard.
Otherwise Windows 11 isn't going to run if you don't cheese it to work

radeonpog gaming
0 Likes

Wrong answer, you do not need TPM or a a GPT disk, you do need a 64 Bit hardware platform and 4+ G Ram.

I am running 1 homemade desktop (AMD 8300, 16G Ram), 2 Laptops Dell (M4600 & 7510)  works perfect.

0 Likes

What answer is wrong?... Who mentioned GPT?

0 Likes
impressionville
Journeyman III

Really, It's a great experience using Windows 11, me also want to install on my PC

0 Likes
sammyg
Adept II

Is it 64-bit compatible? Does it have at least 1 GHz and 2 cores? Then it will work.

You will also need 4 GB of RAM, UEFI firmware, Secure Boot, TPM 2.0, at least DirectX 12 GPU, and a 720p display.

Oh and Internet connection! Naturally. So they can force you to create one of them "Microsoft Account" accounts during setup, as opposed to one of them "offline account" accounts.

That's right, starting with Windows 11 you will need Internet access to begin installing it.

At least this is advertised to be true for the "Home" edition, maybe the Pro edition will be different. But I bet Windows 12 will force you to only install with a Microsoft account! More so, it will probably force you to install it rather than something else like a Linux based operating system. Heh, by 2026 Windows itself will morph into a Linux based operating system, with proprietary sugar coating on top of it.

0 Likes

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-300

The Version of AMD Radeon Software You Have Launched Is Not Compatible with Your Currently Installed AMD Graphics Driver

0 Likes
sammyg
Adept II

Looks like you're out of luck. It's not on Microsoft's list of supported AMD processors.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-amd-...

However, I don't know exactly what criteria they use to add processors to that list. It might be that they use "fTPM" (firmware TPM) as a criteria, and if your processor does not have this feature, then maybe they don't list it. Again, I don't know what criteria they use, they just list a bunch of processors, they don't say anything more than that.

If lack of fTPM support is the only reason your 2200G is not supported, then you can simply buy a discrete TPM module and install it on your motherboard. This of course requires that your motherboard has that TPM header, but most high-end and even some mid-range motherboards do. Be sure to buy the correct one, it's either LPC (low pin count) or SPI (serial peripheral interface). I will give you examples of such modules from Asus below.

SPI:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/Accessories/TPM-SPI/

PLC:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/Accessories/TPM-M-R2-0/

Actually I may purchase one of these myself. Even though my processor has firmware based TPM support. I have two Intel processor and two AMD. Intel calls this PTT (Platform Trust Technology). I just want to add some separation of concern and isolation.

0 Likes

Microsoft Windows 11 is not supporting AMD Threadripper 1950X. Why not? No other issue to migrate other than this processor issue? AMD, why are you not putting pressure on Microsoft to support this processor?

Thanks for editing your post and clarifying kingfish. I was going to say congratulations, you've posted a link.

I think I just got lucky.....
0 Likes

Kingfish, what's your take from all that?

I have not read all of it, to be honest, maybe first four paragraphs.

There's too much information in that article, too much jargon and misuse of terms and acronyms for me to take more interest in reading it. I am not going to design my own Windows 11 computer from resistors, transistors, capacitors and diodes to need that kind of detailed information.

Also, it's embarrassing to see that the Microsoft person doesn't know the difference between a processor and a chipset, and that they don't know what makes a second generation AMD Ryzen processor. Not too good source of information there in any case, so best not to read it. That's where I lost interest.

0 Likes

Honestly, this seems like a typical Microsoft roll-out. Confusion, mis-information, and rumors. By 2022 it will 'probably' be sorted.

""Right now, it isn’t even 100 percent clear if this is a CPU problem or a chipset problem. Some Microsoft executives have referred to lockouts as chipset-based:""

0 Likes

I had no idea who Steve Dispensa was until now. But apparently he's a Microsoft chairman. He wrote:

"The chipset requirement is based on a bunch of factors, including supportability, capabilities, quality, and reliability so we can ensure everyone has a great experience. We're working on a blog post with more info, coming soon."

Original source is here: https://twitter.com/dispensa/status/1408577130946994176

[On a side note, why do people take time to create screenshots of these Twitter posts? Twitter posts can't be edited. They worry that the author might remove the post or what? They have a need to prove someone wrong or something, so they collect images as evidence? I think it's silly, and it takes time to create those screenshots, for no good reason. These people are not lousy politicians. They don't try to revise history by modifying or retracting their Twitter posts. No normal person does that. No need to take screenshots. That post is still visible on Twitter as of now, five days later. Anyway...]

[Back on topic!] Here's my experience of Windows 11!

1. I'm a Windows Insider so I got the offer to install it via Windows Update.

2. Trying to install it made the PC Health Bla Bla app tell me (very specifically) that TPM was not support on my PC and therefore the installation was stopped.

3. I don't have a discrete TPM installed, but I have a Core i7 8700 processor with PTT support. So I enabled firmware TPM in UEFI. I just flip a single setting from "Discrete" to "Firmware" and save the changes. PC shuts down once, powers up, shuts down another time, powers up, then boots up. (I have no idea why it goes down twice, it's normally only done once when saving major changes.)

4. Try one more time! Yup, Windows 11 is downloading and installing.

5. Reboot. Booting up... GSOD! Green Screen Of Death! No specific STOP code, just the sad face ":(" and some bla bla text to fill the screen with.

6. Auto rebooted. "Undoing changes made to your computer".

7. I'm back in my normal Windows 10 on Dev branch (build 21390.2025).

8. I reboot and enter UEFI interface and flip back the TPM setting from "Firmware" to "Discrete" and save.

9. I boot up, then I check Windows Update and it starts pulling down Windows 11 once again. **bleep** you Windows! Or so I thought. I allowed it to finish. It did its PC Health bla bla, and surprise, surprise, it did not complain about lack of TPM this time around!? OK... I though. I allowed it to finish installing.

10. Reboot. Tada! I'm in Windows 11. Without TPM!? How is that possible? Maybe it's holding a choke grip on my Intel processor to deliver the firmware goods. Or it simply made some registry change that has been preserved between my on-off switching between discrete TPM and firmware TPM (this is an actual hack you can do, it's been documented). More importantly! No GSOD this time around!

Total Out-of-body experience!

I used Windows 11 for maybe 2 hours. I could not bare to use it longer, before I rolled back to good old Windows 10, even if it's worse incarnations with these ugly looking icons with no support for thumbnails on top of folders that contain images.

I mean Windows 11 was worse still! My productivity was kicked to the curb, and my entire desktop "experience" was turned into TV news reception antenna on one hand – so I can know what's happening in the politics of a country I don't live in – and a call center on the other hand – so I can invite colleagues and "friends" over to disturb and distract me from important work.

Windows 11 is all about the looks. So you can look fabulous while not doing a **bleep** thing. For starters, the start button is in the middle of the monitor, as if it's a phone and not a computer. Thankfully it can be moved back to the left corner where it was previously. In addition, all my pinned apps were removed from the start menu. My second monitor lost its  taskbar. I was able to restore that. All app buttons on the taskbar are now displayed as icons. Labels have been stripped away. There was no option to restore that. I can't stand looking a at a long and empty taskbar where I can have my apps labeled. Just so someone can be impressed by how cute and clean or tidy my desktop is?

For me... Windows 11 is a no no no. No! I will not be missing this till year 2025 when Windows 10 support is ending.

Windows 11 is faster and uses less memory and CPU power..

Looks more up to date..

I got this as soon as I could and have not had any problems, though I did upgrade my PC (due anyway)..

Nothing wrong with 11..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes

To be fair, there is nothing wrong with Windows 10 either. It will be supported until year 2025. I really don't mind if my Windows 10 PC is 42 seconds slower at opening that huge Microsoft Excel spreadsheet. That gives me just enough time to grab a new cup of coffee. I know looks are important, and I also like pretty looking things, but when it really comes down to getting things done I don't mind a slightly more ugly but functional and stable operating system. With that said, I will not say I won't upgrade to Windows 11 ever, I just don't want to be among the first to do so.

You may also find this page helpful:

On Windows 11 system requirements:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_11#System_requirements

On discrete TPM vs. firmware TPM (and others):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Platform_Module#TPM_implementations

siddhartha
Journeyman III

I am using ryzen 3 2200g and I signed up for the windows insider program,it showed it wasn't compatible in the start ,but now it installed windows 11

0 Likes
wiredawg100
Adept I

Any thoughts on Windows 11?  I still have to enable TPM 2.0 on my motherboard...

0 Likes

I like windows 11 so far... I am in the beta testing team so i get the newest updates to try and give feed back to them. and yes i had to enable the tmp and the secure boot on my machine to get it

0 Likes

I have not installed or talked to anyone running Win 11. I was a little miffed that my Ryzen 5 1600x was not supported. Great cpu and very stable build. I usually wait a while to go to a new Microsoft OS. Gives them time to work out the bugs and come out with the first major update. I used Windows 1.0 so I have been through a lot of OS releases from Microsoft. With Win 7 things just sort of jelled for the first time. Win 7 played well with the other kids so now it is kind of expected. From what I read it is not so much an improvement upgrade for Win 10 as it is a security upgrade. I run 2 Ryzen computers via a hdmi kvm switch and am thinking of doing a clean install of Win 10 on the one I upgraded from Win 7 pro so I may install Win 11 to see how it works. I can always go back to Win 10.