cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Windows 11 worth the upgrade?

Is Windows 11 still a mess for Ryzen 3000 CPUs or has the experience smoothed out? I don't want to upgrade to Windows 11 if it is going to be as buggy as Windows 8. Is there even a reason beyond being on the most updated OS to upgrade? I know Windows 10 will be phased out in the next 4 years but what does Windows 11 have to offer that Windows 10 doesn't? Are all of my games going to be compatible? Are the drivers more stable? What is the purpose of Windows 11? Am I missing something or is Windows 11 offering something that I just don't know about yet? I am genuinely curious and want to know what Windows 11 offers that I don't get with Windows 10? Any answers would be helpful. 

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
17 Replies
vialli100
Forerunner

I have had Win 11 since the Beta with a 3700x and had zero problems..

All the games I play are compatible and some are really old..

Everything is stable, I find it faster than Win 10..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I heard about stutters involving the fTPM settings required for secure boot. Is it an actual issue or is that fixed?

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes

Personally no stutters..

Only time I had any was with Asus GPU Tweak installed..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.

Fixed in AGESA 1.2.0.7.

0 Likes
GreatnessRD
Miniboss

I've been on Win11 about two months with a 3700x. I haven't noticed any stutters or anything and I play a mixture of new and old. GTA, Apex, Cyberpunk, etc. I do have a slight microstutter when I use a USB cord with my DS4 controller, but when I use it wirelessly via bluetooth, I don't have any problems. So I don't know if its the USB thing AMD had or if its a short in the cord/DS4 port. But since I've switched strictly to wireless play, I don't have any problems whatsoever and Win11 is stable and no issues for me personally.

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)

That sounds great I'm running the installer now through Windows update. We will see how this goes. Will I need to reinstall games or will steam still be there?

0 Likes

As long as you didn't choose a complete fresh install through the Windows update installer, you should be good to go. I personally did a fresh install though. I did the updater install last year on my laptop when it was in its infancy, and everything was still there and fine, no issues.

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)

I don't game much at all, but in normal usage for browsing the Internet and things of this nature, Windows 11 seems to respond just like Windows 10.  I don't see any reason to upgrade all of my computers to Windows 11 at this point, but once they stop supporting it with security updates (which Microsoft claimed would not happen with Windows 10 originally), then I will worry about my older machines.  I have seven computers running Windows 11 and about six running Windows 10.

One of my LAN parties from 2021.One of my LAN parties from 2021.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

It seems to be a bit snappier than Windows 10 as of right now and the update method left all the programs I usually use. I will be heavily using this OS for the next week or two and post an update with any issues I run into if I do run into any. We will see how things go compatibility wise. Thank you for your posts. 

A good site for OS help/tweaks/tutorials, https://www.elevenforum.com/

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
CN50
Adept III

@cpurpe91 

I don't see the point myself,  you have until  2025 to decide but then again I read their will be another windows coming out  number 12 and something like a 3 year cycle after that.

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

So far I have had zero issues with Windows 11. It functions like a reskinned Windows 10. This is good because I know how to navigate Windows 10 and Windows 11 is about as easy to navigate with a couple things that are different here and there. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

windows 11 has better directx12 features and autoHDR stuff i guess. so its better for gaming.

importantly its more secure-ish sort of. more hardware fingerprintey encrypted stuff so that if criminals try impersonate you online the secure boot stuff should let them know which devices is which and which OS is whose and which is the true OS and boot drive.

the reason heaps of haters hate on upgrading windows is often criminals and hackers take a while to decrypt and disable and bypass security features and some exploits or hacks might be closed. so they tend to attack it and try force it out of existence and make the OS attack itself causing slow downs. that and while microsoft cant legally go 'full apple icloud' because its probably against the law, what with them having your stuff on their computer and you not having it, means its theirs not yours and you cant ever ask for it back if they decide to shut down the icloud they could even sell it.. but it seems more and more like thats happening which pisses off criminal idiots who are like "oooh no microsoft will know what domain names or IP addresses i visited and sell it to their business partners. Oooh no! my usage statistics like how many times i opened solitaire and mine sweeper or minecraft on my actual really high spec computer i spent real money dollars on instead of using the cheapest of android tablets for that junk. i hate becoming a number or a statistic us criminals gotta make everybody else into crime statistics. " - says every criminal idiot ever probably.

But the true reason is because although AMD and sony and others have maybe been working with directx/vulkan and directx12 hardware and software features for decades. intel and nvidia are still single core single thread 80's trash dumpster fire goods. being decades behind the decades behind stuff.. its not even at the level of cheapness its way worse than that. i mean in some cases they're over 50 years behind. at best they're not even close to being even. just the bit depth alone AMD is trillions of times better mathematically trillions of trillions i cant do anything but understate it. especially when it comes to AMD's lower latency and more cores and vastly higher IPC.. i mean astronomically higher.

even though nvidia and intel just wait a decade or more and resell the older AMD technology and wait for their software to become open sourced because they know its the best stuff in the universe.. everybody else like sony or microsoft do the exact same thing. because advanced microdevices make stuff so amazing that people cant ever afford to licence or purchase it and just wait for it to become 50 years old no copyright stuff. but then instead of waving it around for the real price like 'hey check it out i figured out how to turn on a 50 year old AMD software now its open source.' they instead rename things and pretend its something new.. DLSS.. or efficiency cores.. and so on. the OS can run older software and drivers. but running a single letter of older code means whole OS is single core single thread DOS trash.

the new edge browser with chromium means chrome is no longer needed since its already in the OS and fully integrated. they take the chrome browser nightly dial up its video and audio quality and multimedia and performance for certain things and make it fully integrated into windows OS file explorer and everywhere else and cortana. 

often each windows OS gets like 10 years support, some of them were less stable that others in the past but those were made by 3 different teams without a proper project manager overseer. nowadays its tested via dev channel/beta/pre-release and irons out far more bugs rather than release stuff that crashes after being left running for a few days straight like win98

Zer0GriD
Adept I

Absolutely! the system and security in my opinion is easier and cleaner than 10.

A must for Threadripper pro motherboards unless your an expert developer.{which I am not!}

Asus Sage wrx80 plus, 5955wx pro, 512gb 3200 ram ecc, watercooled, 5tb {2tb 0 raid}, Radeon Pro w6800
MikeySCT
Challenger

This all sounds great, I have Win11 installed in my Lenovo Legion 5 Pro (R7 5800H, 16GB RAM, RTX 3070 140W). Actually, I had upgraded it from Win10 which it originally came with, I surprised myself by going ahead with the upgrade despite the hoopla I'd heard about Win11.

I'm happy to report it was problem free from day 01 of installation. Makes me more confident of updating my main rig, in sig, to Win11 when I get back in February. Oh yeah, the laptop was a sort of experiment with Win11, and so far it's been quite positive.

I'll also be building all AMD rig with my spare 3900X, X570S Aorus Elite AX, 32GB RAM and a Nitro+ RX 6900 XT. Think I'll go Win11 with this one as well.

AM4 R9 5900X | GB X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX |Samsung C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 FS 2 | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | CM H500M | Win11 Pro 22H2
DaBeast02 - AM4 R9 3900X | GB X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Acer XR341CK 34" 21:9 FS | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | SOLDAM XR-1 | Win11 Pro 22H2
DanielJefferson
Journeyman III

Hey there! Windows 11 does offer some improvements over Windows 10, such as better support for touchscreens and a redesigned Start menu. It's also designed to be more secure, with built-in protection against ransomware and other threats. Additionally, Windows 11 has better support for virtual desktops and multiple monitors, which can be great for productivity. Most games and drivers should work just fine on Windows 11. But it's always a good idea to check with the game manufacturer to ensure compatibility. Finally, keep in mind that certain software applications may require a license activation key to work properly on a new operating system like Windows 11. So it's always a good idea to ensure that your license is compatible with the new OS.

Good to know.  I wasn't aware of the potential license activation key concern.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes