cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Windows 10 April 2018 Update Crashes Intel SSD equipped PCs

You would think eventually Microsoft would realize pushing updates automatically is a REALLY BAD IDEA... Just a reminder as well, the Fall update (1709) changed the names of the channels, this is what your update options SHOULD be set to, you get a 60 day grace period by setting to the Semi-Annual, then can delay them another 30 days. Feature updates (which is what this is) get another year of delay, or unlimited if you set your connection to metered.

Now, onto the article

Windows 10's April Update Crashes Systems with Intel SSDs | TomsHardware

Microsoft has announced that it's blocking some systems with Intel SSDs from receiving the Windows 10 April 2018 update. Microsoft's April 2018 update began rolling out to Windows 10 systems on April 30, but the update has caused some systems with Intel SSDs to enter a UEFI screen reboot or crash repeatedly. For now, users with unspecified Intel SSDs will not receive the April update automatically, and they also cannot install the update manually. 

Microsoft has pushed updates to many systems with Intel SSDs already, but it advises impacted users to roll back to Windows 10 version 1709, which you can do by hitting F8 during the boot process and restoring the previous version of the operating system.

But who are the impacted users? Microsoft hasn't shared the specific Intel SSD models that are impacted by the errors. We also aren't sure if the error applies to Intel's beastly Optane SSDs. Microsoft also cites performance and stability issues as key components of the errors, so it's possible that users with the April update can unknowingly suffer from reduced performance if they have an Intel SSD installed in their system. As such, until Microsoft or Intel provides a list of specific models, it might be wise to roll back your operating system to 1709 if you have an Intel SSD.

The company also hasn't shared any technical details about the errors. The errors are surprising given that Intel's SSDs use industry-standard protocols, such as SATA and NVMe, that ensure broad compatibility. We also don't know if these issues pertain only to SSDs that use a certain protocol. Intel does deliver its own custom drivers for some products, so there is a chance that the fix may require a combination of a new Intel driver along with changes from Microsoft.

Windows 10 will receive a "future" update to address the issue, at which point users with Intel SSDs can migrate to the April 2018 update. However, Microsoft has not released a firm arrival date for the fix. We've reached out to Intel and Microsoft for a list of the impacted SSDs. We will follow up as we uncover more information.

0 Likes
3 Replies

actually there have been a lot of problems with the spectre and meltdown bugs which are kernel model problems so expect to see lots of issues

as for ssd problems, i have a few of them and so far nothing has happened to them yet

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Hmmm, I have two systems I set up for my parents that run Intel drives.  Not sure if those systems have auto updated their Windows 10 installs yet.  One is a Phenom II 940 based system with an Intel 160 GB X25-M G2 installed.  The other is and Llano A8-3870K based system that runs an Intel 180 GB 520 series.

0 Likes

So far only the M.2 SSD drives are known in my shop as problematic

0 Likes