cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Windows 10 2004: We're already looking into these 10 issues, says Microsoft

From ZDNET: Windows 10 2004: We're already looking into these 10 issues, says Microsoft | ZDNet .

Looks like Windows 2004 is not compatible with Intel integrated Graphics also. When I upgraded to Windows 2004 my Haupphage TV Tuner drivers were gone and so was my TV Tuner from Device Manager. Needed to physically remove and re-install the TV Tuner for Windows to recognized the PCIe card. plus some other minor settings I needed to reconfigure again. 

I imagine that many Users who updated to Windows 2004 will be posting at AMD Forums believing it is their GPU or AMD Drivers to blame when in fact it is Microsoft and Windows 2004 upgrade who is to blame.

Below is the beginning of the ZDNET Article:

Despite extra testing of the Windows 10 May 2020 update, the rollout has already thrown up multiple driver problems.

Microsoft only began rolling out the Windows 10 May 2020 Update, version 2004, to mainstream users yesterday, but the company is already investigating multiple issues.

So far, Microsoft has listed 10 open investigations into a range of bugs affecting peripherals, Bluetooth, mouse input, and GPU driver and display issues.    

How widespread each issue is remains unknown, and while Microsoft hasn't yet confirmed the problems, it has provided workarounds for some of them and has implemented compatibility holds for nine of them. For each of the compatibility holds, Microsoft advises against manually installing Windows 10 2004. 

It's not uncommon for driver compatibility issues to arise early after a major Windows 10 rollout. However, it was hoped that Windows 10 2004 would be a smooth update given Microsoft spent an extra six months testing it with Windows Insiders and hasn't added any major new features since ending development in December. 

After the botched Windows 10 1809 rollout, Microsoft revealed that the Windows driver ecosystem consisted of 16 million "unique hardware/driver combinations".

Microsoft has found that certain versions of drivers for Realtek Bluetooth radios aren't compatible with Windows 10 2004. It's implemented a block on the Windows 10 2004 rollout to devices with affected Realtek drivers until they've been updated. 

Microsoft advises against using the 'Update now' button or the Media Creation Tool until the Bluetooth issue is resolved. 

Synaptics and Microsoft have found incompatibility issues with some versions of the drivers for Conexant or Synaptics audio devices and Windows 10 2004. 

"To safeguard your update experience, we have applied a compatibility hold on Windows 10 devices with affected Conexant or Synaptics audio drivers installed from being offered Windows 10, version 2004 or Windows Server, version 2004 until the driver has been updated," Microsoft said on the Windows 10 2004 known-issues page. 

Microsoft is also blocking the Windows 10 2004 update for PCs with Intel integrated graphics processing units. The companies are working on a fix in an upcoming release. 

There's a stop error with a blue screen that occurs when plugging or unplugging a Thunderbolt dock with certain settings enabled.

Again, Intel and Microsoft have found compatibility issues with Windows 10 2004. Affected PCs include those with a Thunderbolt port and with Kernel DMA Protection enabled and Windows Hypervisor Platform disabled. Microsoft has provided instructions for how to check the status of each feature.  

Even Microsoft's own Surface Pro 7 and Surface Laptop 3 could be seeing errors and unexpected shutdowns after installing Windows 2004 due to an issue with the Always On, Always Connected feature. It affects devices with more than one Always On, Always Connected capable network adapter. 

Microsoft has also found a compatibility issue with some games using Game Input Redistributable and Windows 10 2004 that prevents mouse input on affected games. 

And there's a problem with apps or drivers using certain versions of aksfridge.sys or aksdf.sys and Windows 10 2004. The issue can prevent an installation of Windows or cause the system to fail to start up after updating. 

Finally, Microsoft is looking into an glitch with Windows 10 2004 and some older drivers for Nvidia display adapters. 

"Windows 10 devices with affected Nvidia display driver versions might receive a stop error with a blue screen or other issues during or after installing the update to Windows 10, version 2004. The affected drivers are any version lower than 358.00," Microsoft notes. 

14 Replies

" It's not uncommon for driver compatibility issues to arise early after a major Windows 10 rollout. However, it was hoped that Windows 10 2004 would be a smooth update given Microsoft spent an extra six months testing it with Windows Insiders and hasn't added any major new features since ending development in December. "

Another example of the uselessness of the "Insiders". Most are idiots. Instead of finding a fault/issue and reporting it to Microsoft..they complain to the vendor of the app/program. Seen it many times on this forum.

So the people who install the 'upgrade' get a load of bovine scat. Now the real testing begins...from all of us.

...and 'reinstall it' isn't going to help.

I recall when I upgraded (ingrade like always), I believe, version 1809 when Windows started the installation process it warned me of a driver that was incompatible and needed to be removed before Windows can continue the installation. 

After deleting the driver and successfully installed the upgrade I then went and install the deleted driver again without any issues.

Yes, I was surprised that after 6 months of Insider testing that Microsoft wasn't aware of any of the article's problems mentioned. I mean there must be over 1 million Insider Users with the same hardware as having problems.

I agree it sucks that they are having issues. Especially when this update was primarily to fix issues and optimize not to add new features. I am not a fan of early adopting. I try to wait at least 90 days before installing anything on a machine I can't afford to have down. Unfortunately and this is not just Microsoft but the software industry as a whole, you just can't trust that updates will work as intended. 

I should add though as many already know, even applying incremental security or feature fixes the last few years have caused major issues. Microsoft needs to fix whatever they are doing wrong. All I know is back when they followed the service pack model there weren't issues like we have today. 

Actually I had similar thoughts. I remember upgrading Windows 98 all the way to Windows 10 including SP updates with very little issues

But now with Windows upgrading every 6 months it doesn't seem to give Microsoft the time to thoroughly test the next upgrade. 

Maybe Microsoft should temporarily stop the 6 month cycle and wait at least one year for testing and then upgrade. Then start the 6 month cycle again but each 6 month upgrade will have 1 year of testing before going public.

I don't know if this is the case now or not.

For instance the October upgrade actually started testing 1 year before and the next April upgrade started one year before. That way each upgrade will have at least one year worth of testing and fixing issues or improving the upgrade.

I absolutely agree. Too much of a rush to get it wrong. We don't even need a new OS every year. When they used to have a release that lasted 3 to 4 years with security and minor feature updates, it IMHO worked a lot better. 

I had read a while back in a forum and can't remember where for sure, may have been Ten Forums that they blamed the changing of the guard so to speak for the issues. So many of the original programmers that really new the ins and outs of the system have now retired and been replaced by not only inexperienced people but also many not having the work ethic of the previous generation. 

Not sure what causes the issues, I am sure it is many things, but there definitely is an issue. 

I believe I read an article or few back when Windows 10 was released which talked about a paradigm shift within the Windows department at Microsoft. Instead of proper in house bug testing by professionals, they instead created the Windows Insider program which would allow for more configurations to be tested and data gathered to enhance stability (officially), but the real reason was budget cuts, which is why Windows went from having updates which very rarely had issues to chaos.

It was also part of their rationale to force updates onto Home edition users so that if any issues arose within the first three months, they could either pull them or fix them before Pro users got them, which was great for businesses but abysmal for home users, many of whom are tech illiterates. Of course the 90 day period was reduced to 30 in 1809 when they eliminated the choice between Semi-Annual and Semi-Annual (Targeted).

Something else I've heard mentioned is that the current Windows kernel contains quite a lot of baggage from previous versions, since every one since Windows NT has built upon it, there hasn't been a fresh start since Windows XP/2000 when the switch was made to the NT base. For a backwards compatibility standpoint this is a good thing, since it allows Windows 10 to run on antique hardware, albeit with reduced functionality, but the downside is that it creates an ecosystem that's impossible to fully debug an update as large as Windows feature updates.

Maybe with Windows 10X Microsoft will adopt a more Windows 2000 like approach where you get a base OS, and everything else is an added feature, basically the antitheses of Windows 10's approach of trying to be the OS and absolutely everything else as well as the kitchen sink and the factory it was made in.

windows 10 still has paint, but the photo work ^ was done with corel

0 Likes

And here's another one, this time relating to Intel Optane.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-blocking-may-2020-update-for-intel-optane-users-this-is-why

Intel's latest SSD toolkit BSOD crashes my box

0 Likes

I have upgraded a lot of laptop machines refurbishing them for Windows 10 to provide better overall performance

Windows 10 seems to be happy with 8GB or more RAM. 16GB is a tad more expensive and it is not really necessary for basic web development etc.

Photoshop etc need high resolution panels and that falls into the desktop universe. I own a digital tablet with stylus that I use for retouching photos.

Now the same image with a transparent background

0 Likes
pushpsmarty
Adept I

Sometimes I think I should buy a highly overpriced MacBook at least I will not suffer from this pain. Graphics driver is very serious stuff and this latest Windows update broke most of the drivers. If I install AMD drivers from the AMD website then driver works but it get's blue screen after couple of minutes, mostly while using Chrome or new Chromium based Edge browser. Also seen on other Apps too but most of the time with Chromium based browser. With Firefox never seen this error.

And if I use latest driver from Windows update then driver doesn't work, and Windows stops the driver while boot time. So my PC got useless. Thanks to MS and AMD.

0 Likes
Hoover1979
Journeyman III

It's now the end of Feb 2021 and the 2004 update is not compatible with my Ryzen 9 3900x.  I doubt MS will fix this.

0 Likes