cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

joyan
Journeyman III

Why is my RX 6700 XT underperforming relative to the average user?

GPU: RX 6700 XT GIGABYTE EAGLE 12 GB

CPU: RYZEN 5 5600 (NON X)

Motherboard: GIGABYTE B550M K

RAM: 16GB 3000MHZ CL16

PSU: XPG PYLON 650W 80+ BRONZE

Operating System & Version: WINDOWS 10 PRO

Background Applications: DISCORD, CHROME

Description of Original Problem: My card underperforms alot, I got 10k score from furmark, averaging 175 fps, other users with this card have like average 200 fps and 12k score. what i currently think is the cause is that my cards power consumption seems to be hard locked to 185W and the card usually uses around 200-220W (apparently), literally no power settings are set to save power, they are all performance (windows, amd adrenaline and such

0 Likes
3 Replies
harrywilliams
Journeyman III

Your RX 6700 XT's underperformance might be due to power limits. Check if your PSU and GPU are properly connected and if the BIOS/UEFI settings are restricting power. Ensure your GPU drivers and AMD Adrenaline software are up to date, and consider monitoring your GPU’s performance and power draw with software to see if it's throttling due to power limits.

0 Likes
FunkZ
Exemplar

@joyan wrote:

RAM: 16GB 3000MHZ CL16

what i currently think is the cause is that my cards power consumption seems to be hard locked to 185W and the card usually uses around 200-220W (apparently)

Is that memory 2x8 or 1x16 ? Is it running at the XMP 3000 speed?

What are you observing that indicates the card is limited to 185W?

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

Hi,

@FunkZ brought up a interesting thing and by my experience, memory speeds/latency do impact a lot, more than actual memory size, not even mentioning dual channel.

To be honest, its hard to say that a 6700XT will need to do, always, 12k. Firstly, because there are substancial diferences between AIB cards. Example: You won't find a cooler, as in temperature, than the RoG Strix. In turn, this could allow it to go further where a dual fan "wimpy" heat sink card will struggle to keep pace.

johnnyenglish_0-1722958290308.png

Then theres other components at play. 16gb 3600 CL14 should blast away 3000, in some extreme cases it may be a 10fps difference in games. Is there a quality PSU behind it, 80+ Bronze is not a good standard as in today.

Are others OC'ing? They might. Specially if they have a good AIB card with a good cooler.

And finally, your CPU could be bottlenecking the GPU a bit, hence the power limit looking hard locked.

johnnyenglish_3-1722959488702.png

Try the following:

Use curve optimizer to bump a bit the CPU performance and check if results get better, monitor closely the power draw of the GPU, if it increases, you found whats pulling you back.

Good Luck

The Englishman
0 Likes