cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

baepe
Adept III

Why does AMD refuse to invest in fixing the drivers for the 5700XT?

I have been a die hard AMD fan all my life (bought a K8 new) and despite their shortcomings I always try to stick with team red. However this is the last straw. I have never been so disappointed with a graphics card as I was with the 5700XT and it's the drivers that are to blame. Awesome features like FreeSync and boost absolutely ruined by horrible system breaking bugs like black screen during games, insane stuttering and poor performance (due to poorly optimized drivers). It's not like I was an early adopter the card has been out for over 6 months, this level of instability is totally unreasonable. I am not the only one experiencing this and the bugs are consistent and reproducible. This is totally inexcusable and I have totally been let down by you AMD. This is officially the last amd card I will ever buy. Luckily their CPU division does not suffer from the same level of incompetence and I can continue to support them in that way.

5 Replies

AMD has had some internal problems with department not all on the the same page. Management is trying to fix the problems but change is slow.

new drivers surface 2-3 times a month so some patience is needed, not much though

0 Likes

2-3 times a month?? You mean every 2-3 months? The 5700XT is not a new card and has had these problems since release. It's not that AMD can't they literally refuse to fix the drivers.

0 Likes

december had 3 drivers released

0 Likes
moonstar
Adept II

One thing I keep seeing that is a recurring theme...incorrect VBIOS programming.  ASUS has had to release 2-3 revisions because of this.  The other, 3rd party vendors cheaping out on construction.  IE:  ASUS STRIXX heatsink comes loose because the screws cannot be tightened properly.  Add basic driver issues to the mix and it is a recipe for disaster.

Honestly, I think I'll stick with my RX 590 for a while.  I think the greater issue, driver wise, is they are using one driver base to target a wide variety of card models.  Sure they tweak model support, but if the base-line driver was made for a card from 5-10 years back, then of course it will cause trouble for the newer stuff.

0 Likes

moonstar wrote:

One thing I keep seeing that is a recurring theme...incorrect VBIOS programming.  ASUS has had to release 2-3 revisions because of this.  The other, 3rd party vendors cheaping out on construction.  IE:  ASUS STRIXX heatsink comes loose because the screws cannot be tightened properly.  Add basic driver issues to the mix and it is a recipe for disaster.

Honestly, I think I'll stick with my RX 590 for a while.  I think the greater issue, driver wise, is they are using one driver base to target a wide variety of card models.  Sure they tweak model support, but if the base-line driver was made for a card from 5-10 years back, then of course it will cause trouble for the newer stuff.

I have seen many comments over the Asus Strix heatsinks failing.

The BIOS on a video card is pretty basic, not much goes into it.

0 Likes