cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

dkasak
Journeyman III

Where are the Ryzen ultrabooks?

The only Ryzen-based laptops I've seen retail in Australia have been cheap transplants of an AMD system into an existing Intel-based chassis ( and fairly bulky ones at that ). The max ram I've seen has been 8GB, and this is usually a single chip, soldered to the motherboard. I've been holding out for almost a year, hoping a reasonable AMD-based system would materialise around the Ryzen chip. What I call reasonable: ultrabook ( ie THIN ), 16GB, or at least the ability to upgrade to it ... touchscreen ( needed for live music ). That's it. Not too much to ask. There are SO many Intel-based systems I could pick up for under $1,000 that would do. Why are Ryzen-based systems so slow coming to market, and why are the only ones I'm seeing crippled in various ways ( in particular having a single 8GB stick in a system designed for dual-channel RAM )?

0 Likes
2 Replies

Simple, Intel gives away their mobile processors for free to keep AMD out of the market, that's why the mobile division loses so much money and Intel stopped reporting it independently in their earnings report. However, what about the

HP ENVY x360 - 15z Touch Laptop

HP ENVY x360 - 15z Touch Laptop - Left rear

• Windows 10 Pro 64
  • AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700U (2 GHz, up to 3.8 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)+AMD Radeon™ Vega 10 Graphics
  • 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (2x8GB)
  • 15.6" diagonal FHD UWVA micro-edge WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (1920 x 1080)
  • 256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
  • Full-size island-style backlit keyboard (Dark Ash Silver)
  • HP TrueVision FHD IR Camera with Dual array digital microphone (dark ash silver)
  • 802.11b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 combo(MU-MIMO supported)
  • HP Pen (dark ash silver)

Not available in Australia.

0 Likes