Did you mean: 

General Discussions

MADZyren
Journeyman III

Re: When is this going to be fixed?

Jump to solution

"Heat sinks Built on RAM."

Yes, but VRAM?

"Same, 100% driver related. Literally AMD pops up with driver errors within it's own self check. Wattman errors all over the map in AMD's own software reporting on stock settings out of the box. Windows event tossing out AMD GPU errors all over the map."

Error messages simply mean there is something wrong, not that it is a driver issue - a bit like if no water comes out of the faucet, it is not necessarily a faucet issue.

If problems occur only on some games, then it can be a driver issue, but I got the impression that it is not just some games. I once had a broken CPU which was a bit like that. Sometimes it worked fine for some time. Sometimes if crashed fast. Finally, I had to reboot computer time and time again and reinstall Windows to get it to run even for a short time. When installing Windows, it usually worked flawlessly and troubles began only after restarting Windows after installation. Perhaps operating system uses some parts of CPU when you actually run operating system that are not used when installing.. maybe some register, cache or something.

In your case, I would install windows and required drivers, no wattman, nothing extra, reset bios (as, if I recall right, wattman overrides bios settings and even if you unistall it, does not necessarily default things), disable XMP. If you have multiple hard drives, unplug the rest except system drive. Unplug power and reset switches from motherboard and all RGB headers, front panel USB too. 

EDIT: A switch might seem to work, but can still cause issues. I think some youtuber who fixes computers also had an example of this.

EDIT2: Check BIOS to confirm that your bus speed is 100.00 and nothing higher as this can cause very weird issues! I would probably set an all-core clockspeed of say 3700MHz to CPU@1.1V (assuming a Ryzen CPU). You could also try Linux and not install any graphics drivers. 

EDIT3: When you got a new PSU, did you change cables too or only PSU and used old cables?

0 Likes
RPX100
Challenger

Jump to solution

The settings you are referring to are Windows settings. They are not helpful here.
I am talking about deep sleep features of the GPU (driver controlled).

MorePowerTool (link) is a community made tool to change the behavior within the driver itself.
Read the article to understand what it does.

You can disable all the power saving features with this tool.
This is not possible via Windows / Radeon Software. You need MPT for this.

--- [ CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT | GPU: ASRock RX 5700XT Challenger Pro 8GB | driver: 22.1.2 ]
--- [ MB: MSI B550-A Pro AGESA 1.2.0.5 | RAM: 2x 16GB 3600-CL16 | chipset: 3.10.08.506 ]
0 Likes
MADZyren
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

It's just that I have a Powercolor Red Dragon 5700XT and I have played many games and use this machine many hours a day, but do not really have noticeable issues. Sometimes Radeon software has reset my OC settings but I have not noticed any crashing, slow-downs or other issues. Recently I've played FC6, Horizon Zero Dawn before that, Doom Eternal before that.

You are not the first one to have issues with 5700XT though. I would so much like to find one of the poorly working GPUs or machines just to try to find the problem as I find it very interesting.

0 Likes
RPX100
Challenger

Jump to solution

@MADZyren (you have private messages disabled - posting my message here instead)

my personal journey with RX 5700 XT:
https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/asrock-rx-5700-xt-challenger-pro-triple-fan/m-p/424096#M67706 

more recent update of the whole story:
https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/black-screen-when-using-amd-freesync-in-new-world/m-p/... 

Been building my own PCs for 20 years now (including for friends and family) - never encountered so many issues before.
Was actually going to give this PC to family after 3 or 4 years (as we usually do) - but not sure if I want to give them these problems.

Ask me anything, if you are that interested in the whole issue. ^^
Also check my profile for posts with even more details on Radeon Software issues.

--- [ CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT | GPU: ASRock RX 5700XT Challenger Pro 8GB | driver: 22.1.2 ]
--- [ MB: MSI B550-A Pro AGESA 1.2.0.5 | RAM: 2x 16GB 3600-CL16 | chipset: 3.10.08.506 ]
0 Likes
MADZyren
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Automatic overclocking settings of Radeon software (if you allow it to determine overclock/undervolt settings aso.) are all over the place. In my case the GPU would be quite unstable with those.

My current settings are Frequency/Voltage: 800/750, 1440/838, 2081/1169, powerlimit +5%, memory at 1800 MHz (which is already pushing it - memory chips on this Powercolor simply are not the greatest ones). SAM is enabled, Radeon Enhanced sync is disabled (though I had no issues, but have heard it caused problems to some people with earlier drivers).

Screen going intermittantly black sound a bit like what happens if I OC VRAM too much. Set it to 1750 if you already have not tried it. I have wondered, could freesync implementation in some monitors cause these issues. With GSync you have Nvidia hardware inside monitor. With AMD... it might be that every company can produce the functionality of Freesync as (cheap) as they wish. (I have Acer 27" 1440p freesync). 

I encountered black screen on one game a couple of times (Borderlands 3). The second time it happened I desided to just wait and after a looong time, picture came back and it was not a driver crash (I checked). I think it was doing something with shaders or whatever Far Cry 6 does (Warming up VSO cache). This was when starting the game. During gaming, I don't think I've ever had an issue with this GPU.

Not so long a go I watercooled this to make it quieter. Now it is great because you can do anything and noise levels just stay the same.

I just don't get it where the problems some people have with these GPUs could come from. I wonder if it is specific makers or models only or have some faulty GPU chips passed QA-testing somehow and cause the issues some users have.

0 Likes
Wessmyre
Adept I

Jump to solution

Ok, I need to eat some crow. I'm humbling myself here just in case it can help someone else.

I bought some very high end display port cables, 8x's to be exact, very expensive, not junk. Two came in the box. Needless to say the first time i ran testing I changed out the cable with the backup cable from that box. Problem persisted.  

When Initially wrote this I was absolutely positive this was a driver/GPU issue. Keep in mind I swapped out three, THREE monitors in testing. Two G9's and a  Scepter 49" all with the same exact problems. Changed cables with the same outcome. I was literally at the end of my rope. The day I wrote this, being fed up, I jumped on Amazon and purchased an Nivida RTX Ti which arrived yesterday. I dropped it in, cranked it up and.......   Same exact problems, not a single solved issue.  

I ripped my rig down and started chasing wires, one at a time. updated anything I could and reset both ram and CPU, cranked it up and...... Same problems. Please keep in mind I didn't have a "video" problem, at times my entire rig was being brought to it's knees. GPU errors everywhere, almost immediately on startup. 

As an afterthought "and desperation" I grabbed an old HDMI cable and dropped in and BAM! EVERY. SINGLE. PROBLEM. disappeared. I reinstalled the Powercolor 6900XT ultimate and she was smooth as silk. I had my wife run to Bestbuy last night and grab a cheap DP cable and dropped it in, and she is officially fixed, my PC, not my wife, she's still broke..

(I thoroughly tested my PC)

Three things...

1- Check the cables if you are having issues, don't over think it, just do it. 

2-My apologies for being short the other day to folks that were trying to help. I was having a full blown man fit. I can accept this.

3- To the fella that reads the AMD error reports, my apologies for the profanity laced tirade.

Lesson learned.

MADZyren
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Great to hear you found the problem. Often it is the last thing anyone would have thought of.

0 Likes