cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

IC-434
Journeyman III

Black screen on initial boot, forced restart and able to boot but receive unsupported driver message

I'm having a rather weird issue with my graphics card.

Lately, whenever i restart my pc i'm greeted by a black screen just after the bios startup. I've tried leaving the pc loading for over half an hour, but the black screen never changes.

After force restarting the pc, everything goes as normal and i can log into windows, but the driver software gives me unsupported\corrupted messages. I then restart the adrenalin software, everything goes well, driver works etc..restart the pc at the end of the installation and everything appears to be fine.

If i shut down the pc and start it up again though, i'm back to square 1 with the black screen and corrupted drivers etc.
I tried a factory reset of the drivers during one of the reinstalls, but that didnt do much. I've also tried a stress test from the amd software, didn't see any problems with the graphics at that time.

My components are:

CPU: Ryzen 5

GPU: RX 580

Ram: 32gb

Driver version: Adrenalin 21.10.2

Please let me know any and which additional information would be useful.

Thanks!

5 Replies
IC-434
Journeyman III

I take my thanks back, lol

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

First of all, which graphics card do you have and welcome to the club. The latest Radeon driver is 11/21/3, which works well together with the current Windows update and chipset driver from AMD support, also on my PC. But before and during the installation of the graphics driver you should follow a procedure that is often described here in order to avoid such errors. Just take a look at my posts, I have often described it there.

0 Likes

@IC-434 hey there and sorry to hear that you are having those issues.

I suggest that you should perform a clean/fresh install of the driver
and also clean your registry to make sure to get rid of leftover driver settings:

1. start DisplayDriverUninstaller (DDU) as administrator
    - it is important to actually start it with administrator rights!
  2. change the "launch option" from "normal" to "Safe Mode (recommended)"
    - and then click on the "restart in Safe Mode"-button (on the bottom-left of DDU)
    - your system should now restart and bring up DDU on its own
  3. back in DDU click on "options" (top left)
    - tick (enable) the checkbox "Prevent downloads of drivers from Windows Update"
    - it is very important to actually block Windows Updates while doing a driver install!
    - Windows Update is known to interfere with AMD driver installers
  4. close the options menu and click on "---Select device type---"
    - switch it to GPU
    - the field below should then show "AMD"
  5. then use the "Clean and restart (recommended action)"-button (on the top of DDU).
    - this will start the cleaning of old driver files and will then restart your system
  6. use CCleaner or WiseRegistryCleaner to clean leftover registry entries
    - this actually helps to get rid of older/leftover registry entries that can mess up your driver
    - restart your system when you are done
  7. run the Windows Command Prompt (CMD) as Admin
    - enter: sfc /scannow
    - press [enter] and let it finish (can take a minute or 2)
    - restart your system
  8. now install the latest AMD graphics driver
    - if you are going to use Radeon Software, then make sure to leave it on "Standard"-profile
    - the "gaming"/"e-sports" profiles can cause issues for some users / GPUs
  9. Now you need to reactivate your Windows Updates via DDU
    - start DisplayDriverUninstaller (DDU) as administrator
    - this time use launch option: "normal" (no restart required)
  10. on the right side, click the button "Set Windows Automatic Driver installation to default"
    - this will revert the changes made to prevent Windows Update from installing updates
  11. restart your PC again and you should be done with the fresh/clean install

--- [ CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT | GPU: ASRock RX 5700XT Challenger Pro 8GB | driver: 24.1.1 ]
--- [ MB: MSI B550-A Pro AGESA 1.2.0.7 | RAM: 2x 16GB 3600-CL16 | chipset: 6.01.25.342 ]

It sounds like Windows Update is installing/changing drivers automatically. This can be prevented by disabling that function. This does not effect any other updates.

After making this change, reboot your computer and clean install the driver of your choice.

Please read:

https://community.amd.com/t5/general-discussions/how-to-stop-updates-for-drivers-with-windows-update...

RPX100
Miniboss

@IC-434 hello again. Just another idea that I had in mind, regarding the black screens:

Try to unplug all USB devices (except mouse&keyboard) while your PC is turned off.
Then boot up your PC and see if the problem still persists.

If unplugging your USB devices solves the black screen issue,
then you should update your chipset drivers, restart PC and then run windows update (manually).

--- [ CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT | GPU: ASRock RX 5700XT Challenger Pro 8GB | driver: 24.1.1 ]
--- [ MB: MSI B550-A Pro AGESA 1.2.0.7 | RAM: 2x 16GB 3600-CL16 | chipset: 6.01.25.342 ]