cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

msnimbus
Adept II

What would you choose: XFS RX 5500 XT THICC II Pro or ASRock RX570 Phantom?

This might be a stupid question but I need to get a new GPU because my RX570 is presumed dead. I'm not very technical so I'm asking for opinions and yes, I am on a budget. I am looking at 4G cards.

I'm leaning heavily towards the RX 5500 but:

it's 25% more expensive (on special)

it is 128bit vs 256bit for RX570

slower memory speed (? that's what the 5 vs the 7 in the names means right?)

It has a  2 year instead of 3 year warranty (this is probably not that important, but it's reassuring to have an extra year)

Apart from that it seems the better card, it's newer all round, uses less power and performs a bit better.

Do you think it's worth the 25% price difference? Is there any reason anyone would go with the RX570 instead?

Thanks!

ps. I also looked at the Asus GeForce GTX 1650 Super Phoenix 4GB that's about the same price as the RX5500 but it seems to perform slightly less well and I assume everyone here is AMD fans and wouldn't recommend it anyway, lol

0 Likes
1 Solution

They're not being released to stores for at least two more weeks, but they are being announced, so we will know if AMD intends to start a price war or just to price match nVidia again.

Power wise the 5600XT is a little faster than your 570, so if you didn't have to compromise details with your 570 to get 60fps then I'd go with that, but looking into the future the 5700XT may be what you want to aim for, as it's a no-compromise (in most cases) 1920x1080 60fps+ card.

With that being said nVidia's soon to be on shelves 3070 is quite a bit faster for $500, and AMD has been hyping up RDNA2 like it would be equally as fast as Ampere...Let's see what AMD says in a few hours.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Wait until RNDA2 cards are unveiled tomorrow with their prices, which should start an adjustment wave in the market. DON'T get an RX 500 series, they're going on 5 years old, as they're just overclocked 400 series cards.

A few details such as the games and resolution you play at as well as your CPU and motherboard would help us make a better recommendation.

thanks for the advice, I didn't know they were being released today

I'm just a casual gamer and I've just been using a laptop for a while (with a geforce 940mx which has done surprisingly well, bless it) so my standards are pretty low - I'd be happy with quality reliable 1080p performance. Recently been playing Ark survival evolved, GTA5, witcher 3, some old rpgs like dragon age and modded skyrim (I really like the scenery), 7 days to die. I'm looking forward to playing Horizon Zero Dawn and RDR2.

The desktop the card is going into (it's also about 3 years old):

Windows 10 Professional
Intel ® Core(TM) i5-7400 @3GHz
16G RAM

Motherboard: ASUS H110M-R
Power supply: 600W Vortex 80 plus Bronze

it had an RX570 in it but it's broken.

0 Likes

They're not being released to stores for at least two more weeks, but they are being announced, so we will know if AMD intends to start a price war or just to price match nVidia again.

Power wise the 5600XT is a little faster than your 570, so if you didn't have to compromise details with your 570 to get 60fps then I'd go with that, but looking into the future the 5700XT may be what you want to aim for, as it's a no-compromise (in most cases) 1920x1080 60fps+ card.

With that being said nVidia's soon to be on shelves 3070 is quite a bit faster for $500, and AMD has been hyping up RDNA2 like it would be equally as fast as Ampere...Let's see what AMD says in a few hours.

thanks, this was really helpful I am in South Africa so things take ages to get here, we'll probably only see the new cards sometime next year. So on balance I have gone with the 5500XT which is available now and it will get the job done so I can start using it for work (gaming is a bonus) and it was a good price.

Let's see what happens, a price war would be great from my perspective, hopefully I'll be able to get a proper upgrade at some point next year.

0 Likes