cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

sur6e
Elite

VR in DX9 title is quite terrible - looking for suggestions to improve

The racing simulation called Raceroom Racing Experience is still a DX9 title and runs totally fine on a monitor. I recently got my first VR headset, a Rift S. I upgraded my video card from a RX580 to a 5700XT. The difference between them in not really noticeable in this game in VR. It's a pretty bad experience with either one. I guess it's more CPU bound and if I understand correctly single core bound due to being DX9. I'm running a Ryzen 7 1700 @3.9GHz and I would think that's enough to run such a title especially since it runs just fine on a monitor with highest settings, but in VR it just seems underutilized and lacking all around. I would think that since in VR you're pushing two displays that it would be taxing the GPU more but that doesn't seem to be the case. I would like to understand why this is running so poorly, and if something can be done about it.

[ 5800X3D | Aorus 6950XT | MSI B550 | H115i Pro | G.SKILL 32GB 3600Mhz | 850W Gold | Samsung Odyssey G7 240Hz | HP Reverb G2 (v2) ]
0 Likes
4 Replies
mackbolan777
Forerunner

RaceRoom Racing Experience VR - First Look - YouTube

That link pretty much answers the VR question for that game. It says FPS is an issue even on "low" settings and it's not the best designed for VR period. I might download it to check it out since I have a wheel and see how it stacks up to Assetto Corsa. Now that game is one for you to grab, if you don't have it. Cars handle very realistically, not an arcade racer like the NFS series or Forza 4 Horizons. DX9 has little to do with it, it's the game engine and code more than anything. The game came out in 2013 and has paid DLC to add to the free content. Reviews have it as more expensive that buying Assetto Corsa with the DLC for that added. See below what I say about CPU, it probably plays a part in that game too.

I don't have a VR setup, I use a decent monitor that runs 1080p@185Hz with a 3600X & RX 5600 XT both tuned. I researched your CPU and compared it to the 2700X and that gives a significant increase of a solid 30%. I found it new on fleabay for US $220. Also the more pricey, for some reason, 3600X or non-X would be even better for gaming in general but at about $330 now that seems high. So, yes you can do something about it but it involves a CPU upgrade. If your board is not compatible with Zen 2, then the 2700X is your best bang for the buck.

In the video the guy is running an Intel 7700K which is the equal to yours. So I would say going to a 2700X or 3600X or non-X would solve a lot of the poor FPS/quality things. The problem is the 1700X doesn't have the single threaded performance you really need to get the most out of that game. I saw the same company makes GTLegends, which I have and the graphics are rather poopy but FPS isn't an issue. 

"It worked before you broke it!"

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't seen that video yet and it all sounds right.

About what you said about Assetto Corsa. I picked it up during the Steam sale a few days back and refunded it quickly. While it looked good and ran well, it did not at all feel realistic to me. It was terrible compared to sims like Raceroom, Race 07, iracing, and even old titles like GTR2, GT Legends. The sense of speed just wasn't there, no grip, I felt like I was going in slowmotion while the engine was running like I was going fast, and I was already losing traction in simple turns. Really felt wrong. VR worked well in that though since it's DX11. I loaded in with good fps without any tweaking. I also tried ACC on a free weekend and it had a similar issue to AC although reduced. Still, it felt wrong compared to all the sims I've spent time in. Raceroom has some free content and it allows you to try everything else before you buy. They always have discounts and packages, and you can buy vRP packs from their website for even greater discounts. I can't imagine anyone not liking it but clearly perceptions differ. To me it's the best sim out there. Highly recommend you give it a chance.

I tinkered some more since I posted this and got it to run better in VR, even with 35 AI cars it was playable, and looked way better, and I don't know why exactly yet as before that it was running badly and stuttering on the lowest settings without AI. I will test more this week. Thanks for the info on the CPU's, I haven't really checked how mine stacks up against the newer gens. I just felt like I should be able to get playable performance out of what I got and I am right about that, but it seems some settings can quickly ruin the experience such as shadows, supersampling, and maybe others. I was also wondering if there are known driver issues or known limitations in software or tweaks/tricks to improve it while it's stuck on DX9.

[ 5800X3D | Aorus 6950XT | MSI B550 | H115i Pro | G.SKILL 32GB 3600Mhz | 850W Gold | Samsung Odyssey G7 240Hz | HP Reverb G2 (v2) ]

Corsa is tough but because I did road race cars, it's very real for me. Might be my hardware, the fact I'm using a ThrustMaster TMX wheel, but at 200FPS, it feels real. Real cars don't have much traction at 400+ HP. Also they add things like weight transfer, tire pressure, so much true stuff, unless you actually were on a track before, you won't like it. Like sliding/plowing in "simple turns" could be that if you looked at the speed, you might have been at 60+ MPH going into something one would do 20-40MPH through. I had an Xbox controller when I bought it and it sucked. No control, I hated it. Now, not so bad. Some cars are a bit over done like the AC Cobra and some Ferrari's, especially the vintage ones. But the Audi A10 drives like a true 4WD sports car. The Lotus's are spot on. World of Cars handles a little better and they have the same tracks, almost the same cars too. Fun fact with either is don't try to race the "campaign", rubber banding to the extreme and nearly impossible to win. Drive in "practice" or make your own solo run and it's great. Haven't tried it online against others, never was into that part in racing games. If I ran a LAN deal with known people or friends, that would work.

I will definitely give Race Room a shot. I like arcade "sims" too, like Forza 4 Horizons and the NFS series. Forza I didn't care for due to you need to have an Xbox account that would constantly crash and you can't turn the radio all the way off in the car!

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes

I've had some track experiences as well but it was about 10 years ago. Drove a 430 Scuderia and a Murcielago, and also did a ride-along with a pro driver doing 60mph drifts in a Corvette. I've been simracing off and on for probably about 15 years, longer, depending on what old titles you count lol. Got my first wheel 20 years ago. I think it had some bungee cord to simulate ffb lol.  I just have a G27 right now but it does quite well. I plan on building a cockpit and after that upgrading the gear.

Never heard of world of cars, all I can find on google is some disney game lol. I used to enjoy NFS until I got into sim racing more, also TDU, and I do have a Forza game. I enjoy the GTA physics too. They are fun to sit back with a controller and see how long of a drift you can get and get achievements and barn finds, challenges etc, but it's nothing serious. I stopped playing most of them when I started simracing in leagues online. VR is really adding a level of realism/immersion for me so I'm really trying to get it running well enough to use it in online races in Raceroom.

0 Likes