cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

ohnoozer
Adept I

Very disappointed with lack of RIS for Vega cards

Honestly I'm so aggravated about this. I have been looking forward to RIS and then you give it to everyone except the Vega users? Even with the harsh reviews about the Vega cards we supported you and this is what we get. My next upgrade would have been AMD without a doubt but I just don't know now. Very disappointing.  Amazing that they would leave out a group of supporters this way.

0 Likes
15 Replies

According to this article, RIS may be added later on depending on Vega Users demand: https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/vega-radeon-image-sharpening 

AMD “will consider adding support” for RIS on Vega, but has no plans to right now

AMD Vega GPU

There’s no guarantee that AMD will be bringing its Radeon Image Sharpening technology to the Vega generation of graphics cards having skipped over the architecture to ensure the popular Polaris GPUs receive support in the latest Radeon driver package. We had thought that maybe Vega was just a later priority than Polaris, but AMD is going to take a wait and see approach to furthering support for the image sharpening feature across more of the Radeon ecosystem.

“AMD will gauge end user reception and demand for Radeon Image Sharpening,” says AMD in response to our questions about future Vega support, “and will consider adding support for additional Radeon RX graphics cards in the future.”

That doesn’t mean never, but will be scant comfort for any Radeon gamer sitting there with either an RX Vega 64, RX Vega 56, or Radeon VII graphics card humming away inside their gaming rig of choice. Until the Navi-powered RX 5700 XT and RX 5700 GPUs were released this summer those were the most powerful Radeon graphics cards available and it’s a bit of a shame if they’re not going to get the same level of support as the ageing Polaris GPUs.

That said, AMD is leaving it up to the customers. If the introduction of the Radeon Image Sharpening feature to the Polaris range is well-received, and Vega users clamour for the tech to be enabled on their GPUs too, then it surely shouldn’t take too much extra dev work for AMD to enable it on Vega’s version of the GCN architecture as well.

But RIS is a checkbox feature in the Radeon Settings driver package, and the percentage of folk who actually dig into their software to enable all the funky features that AMD’s software team spend their lives creating just for gamers is always painfully low. People hate having things enabled by default, which means excellent gamer-benefiting features like Radeon Chill, Radeon Image Sharpening, and Radeon Anti-Lag are likely only ever used by a small proportion of those with the capabilities to switch them on.

If you’re a Vega GPU owner, first, life’s not been kind to you, has it? And second, it’s time to start a petition on r/AMD to get the red team to get its impressive image enhancing feature onto your cards.

Just a correction from the article. 

"with either an RX Vega 64, RX Vega 56, or Radeon VII graphics card humming away inside their gaming rig of choice. Until the Navi-powered RX 5700 XT and RX 5700 GPUs were released this summer those were the most powerful Radeon graphics cards available"

The Radeon VII is technically still the most powerful Radeon graphics card available.  

I think an HBM2 overclocked Vega 64 Liquid will still perform close to an RX5700XT and Vega 64 and 56 have more FP32 compute power.

Not putting RIS into Vega GPUs is likely done as a "Feature differentiator" so that people who already spent their hard earned money on Vega GPUs, and likely spent years reporting bugs about bad AMD drivers on Vega cards will spend even more money to purchase an inflated price Navi.

Think about it - who is really likely going to move to Navi Cards right now, given Navi cannot even support Ray Tracing.

Existing Nvidia users or AMD fans with Vega GPUs?

I think It would take a "Big Navi" with has Ray Tracing Support and maybe even a DLSS type feature to encourage existing Nvidia gamers to move to AMD. 

0 Likes

Hi - I note that recently the EOLed Radeon VII has reappeared on the Upgrade Advisor for anyone with an RX Vega 64 Liquid running Quake RTX: 
pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

I think the Radeon VII might be the AMD GPU that was EOL'ed the quickest or does the Vega Frontier Edition beat it?
Radeon VII supply is drying up as far as I see it and the pricing is currently far too high.
New PowerColor Radeon VII were selling for ~ 500 at one point, with a two year guarantee but now they are as high as 650.
I think those prices are now held high because some ASUS RX5700XT are at 550.

How confident are you that you will get proper driver support and enhancements for Radeon VII?

Do you think I should try to get hold of a Radeon VII second hand or should I wait until January 2020 for a surprise release of a Big Navi based Radeon VII with Dual VBIOS that no one was expecting?

0 Likes

Probably worth while to wait for the RDNA2 variants that launch next year, as they also support ray-tracing.  I'm going to hold on to my Radeon VII as long as I can.  No telling when we'll get another consumer GPU with that level of FP64 compute.  

0 Likes

Yes I think that is probably the best idea.
I won't think about picking one up unless I really need more than 8GB HBM2.
Thanks.

0 Likes

ohnoozer 
You can use ReShade to run "Radeon Image Sharpening" on DX11 and DX12 games on Nvidia or AMD GPUs. There are is also another more advanced pre-existing contrast aware sharpening filter called Smart_Sharp.fx available for ReShade. Nvidia have added a new Sharpening Filter in Nvidia Game Filter which performa similar to RIS. If you need more details let me know.

0 Likes

Hi, 

Why not create a poll on the forum and ask if Vega 56 and Vega 64 users would like to have RIS implemented for their GPUs?

I would guess a 100% yes please response. 

I do not know how to create a poll but if someone can point me to instructions on how to create one I will do it. 

Thanks. 

A couple of other Users, in the past, have posted questions asking Users their opinions of either new software or existing hardware AMD or Features.

You can do the same thing at one of the applicable AMD Forums. See what other Vega 56/64 Users opinions are. That would be similar to taking a Poll.

AMD Moderator even made of the User's question and posted it on the Features at AMD Forums:

Thanks. I will take a look again and see if I can figure out what to do.

I am not giving up on AMD Vega cards, I think they are worth picking up at the moment.
I just bought another XFX RX Vega 64 Liquid after being unhappy with my brand new XFX RX Vega 64 Liquid for a long time until AMD driver issues were fixed.

I filed many reports and many issues for RX Vega 64 have have been fixed now, so I will stick with that driver for now.
My XFX RX Vega 64 Liquid is behaving pretty well with Adrenalin 2019 19.9.2. drivers now and prices have dropped for RX Vega GPUs so they make sense for Blender and OpenCL Compute for me.

For fun, I am looking forward to running 3D Mark Firestrike on RX Vega 64 Liquids on Ryzen 2700X.
I will also try out TimeSpy DX12 with two Vega 64 + a Vega 56.
It will  be interesting to see the 3DMark performance numbers I can hit.

I can run RIS using ReShade for DX11 and DX12, but it would be easier if it was supported in the driver for Vega cards.
ReShade does not support Vulkan yet, and DX12 stability needs some improvement.

0 Likes

Radeon Image Sharpening has been added for Vega GPUs in Adrenalin 19.9.3.

See Release notes here:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-9-3 

Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.9.3 Highlights

Support For

• Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon® Breakpoint
  • Radeon Image Sharpening
    • Now available on Radeon VII, Radeon RX Vega 64, Radeon RX Vega 56 and Radeon Vega Frontier Edition graphics products for DirectX®12 and Vulkan® applications.

Thank you AMD.

Here is how you turn Radeon Image Sharpening on in RX Vega 64 Liquid.
pastedImage_2.png

0 Likes

I will put any more input regarding RIS testing only  this thread from now on.
Here is some infor based on my testing so far.
I need to go back and look at BFV results again afrter I remove ReShade Shaders and reverify the BFV Installation.
Got to go.
========

OK so I just quickly looked at Radeon Image Sharpening Implementation on two games in DX12 using Adrenalin 19.9.3.

Testing method is to exit all applications. Set the Radeon Image Sharpening Button off. Launch games @ 2K Ultra Fullscreen Settings from the AMD Radeon Settings Game Profile. Take Screenshots.

Repeat the above but set the Radeon Image Sharpening Button on to have comparison screenshots.

(1). BFV with Reshade already installed, but turning all ReShade Shaders off. (I have been testing ReShade as a solution to implement Contrast Aware/Adaptive Sharpening and global illumination on AMD and Nvidia GPUs).

I could not tell any difference between Radeon Image Sharpening Button off or on.
If I turn on ReShade CAS.fx filter I definitely get really good image sharpening.

It may be that ReShade installation is preventing " Radeon Image Sharpening Button on" from working.
I will uninstall ReShade, reverify the BFV installation and retest later.

(2). Strange Brigade with no ReShade installed.

Definitely working.

Compare and Contrast:

Radeon Image Sharpening Button off.

=============================

pastedImage_1.png

Radeon Image Sharpening Button on.

=============================
pastedImage_2.png

I have to get on with some other work now.
Bye.

0 Likes

RE:

(1). BFV with Reshade already installed, but turning all ReShade Shaders off. (I have been testing ReShade as a solution to implement Contrast Aware/Adaptive Sharpening and global illumination on AMD and Nvidia GPUs).

I could not tell any difference between Radeon Image Sharpening Button off or on.

Radeon Image Sharpening needs ability to adjust sharpening level just like on ReShade Implementation.

0 Likes