cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

wim-bart
Elite

The Performance Hoax of suppost to exist AMD RX 6800 and Ryzen 5000 products.

Why does AMD media pay reviewers to publish articles of non existing products. Do they want us just not to buy new Intel and NVidia products?

When i want to order a new RTX 30xx product, I get in a waiting queue, same with Intel processors. But with AMD products, no waiting Queues, just not even able to order the product.

By this I only can have the conclusion, that all media around the "new" Ryzen and Radion products are fake, because the never can deliver the products, otherwise you would be able to order a product.

Maybe thats also why Europe is not on the list of regions to order because AMD is afraid for fines due to false marketing.

0 Likes
21 Replies

I know it sucks to not be able to get a new product day one but this is not new this year even. It has always been like this. Here in the USA, not many retailers offered preorders on the new Nvidia cards and from reports those that did still have not filled all of those. 

Regardless those policies are dictated by the retailers, not AMD, Nvidia or Intel. 

As expected todays launch did sell out fast. 

I will say that I think AMD when they announced the product did lead end users to believe that it would have better availability than the Nvidia cards did and from the way it looks it wasn't significantly different. And they should not claim otherwise unless they can deliver. 

However at the end of the day demand has never been higher than this year and availability has always been limited upon launches as long as I can remember. 

The cards do exist they did sell them in lots of retailers but not being available in all markets does not surprise me. 

I know for instance here where I am our local Micro Center only got about a handful of both cards at the store. So those too went instantly. I know this as I have a friend that camped out since yesterday afternoon to get one. 

I guess if you can find where they claimed they would have what you expected you have a reasonable argument. And I personally am disappointed as I too think it is near a paper launch but they did have product.

Next week partner cards will be out and maybe that will be better but I would not count on that either. 

Here in the USA I don't know of anywhere you can get on a list to buy a RTX card either. Other than EVGA who will send you an email when stock comes in to their own store, but they don't reserve one for you. 

I definitely can't call Ryzen 5xxx fake as I know several people who already got them and in these forums there are already quite a few support questions on them so they are out there. I would expect them to be out in bigger number much sooner than GPUs.  

By your logic of a real product only being real if you can buy one, well I can't even find a single last gen RTX card available right now anywhere, but the sure as heck existed, I have 2 of them. 

Be patient and just keep trying. I fear a lot of people unfortunately may be waiting to close to the end of quarter one 2021 for things to normalize. 

One vendor to keep your eye on is Best Buy.  Apparently their stock did not go live today and the cards are still listed as "Coming Soon".  Not sure when Best Buy plans on listing them, but they did put stronger anti-bot measures in place.  NVidia even routed all their FE RTX 3000 sales to them.

I think companies need to get sued by government when they advertise products what cannot be deliverted and fullfill at least 75% of the demand in the first week. Now they keep us at a leash. Already waiting for weeks for my 5900X and sorry, but 2 weeks is long, but this it is bull**bleep**. And now I did see that there are reviewers got 2 or 3 cards. sorry, but Reviewers are not customers, I am a Customer. And it is simple, in Januari I need to decide what platform the datacenter goes to. And the one who ships me the first card privately ordered gets the business deal.

And they have the product for weeks in the planning, so why not like other business, have at least a fair amount of products available, or just delay the launch.

0 Likes

@wim-bart wrote:

I think companies need to get sued by government when they advertise products what cannot be deliverted and fullfill at least 75% of the demand in the first week. Now they keep us at a leash. Already waiting for weeks for my 5900X and sorry, but 2 weeks is long, but this it is bull**bleep**. And now I did see that there are reviewers got 2 or 3 cards. sorry, but Reviewers are not customers, I am a Customer. And it is simple, in Januari I need to decide what platform the datacenter goes to. And the one who ships me the first card privately ordered gets the business deal.

And they have the product for weeks in the planning, so why not like other business, have at least a fair amount of products available, or just delay the launch.

You realize right now that even appliances are in low supply. With all the people at home the demand is higher for in home products. Jay Two Cents had a good video on this the other day pointing out many item you can't get. He even pointed out about construction folks can't even get concrete right now. 

So are you going to sue GE because the fridge you want isn't in stock. 

Again I get the disappointment and frustration. I am a lot more mad at those that abuse the system with bots and such than I am at AMD for not having more manufacturing capacity to meet demand. These companies would love to sell as many as they can as fast as they can. You only have a finite window to sell this stuff before people are on to the next gen product frenzy. 

I can't even begin to count how many times in the past I went to get an ADVERTISED product at a retailer that was out of stock. It's been like this for over 60 years of my existence. I remember waiting in line at best buy for over 12 hours in a line that went around the building to get an AGP GPU 25 years ago to have the guy in front of me get the last one, it sucks.

One thing that might be nice in todays retail would be a return to having RAIN CHECKS. At least if you went in for one you could make sure you got the next on. If you went shopping first you ought to get first dibs when available. I don't know many retailers that offer this still though. 

0 Likes

Still no excuse.  If Apple or Samsung came out with another version of their phones I guarantee you that none of their retailers would have an "Out of Stock" posted on their website or in their stores.  I don't understand how anyone can think that AMD had no idea of the amount of people that would be wanting to purchase their cards.  This is a multi-million industry that have been around for 51 years, come on now!  To prove my point, this was taken from a Forbes article titled "Key Takeaways From AMD's Financial Analyst Day" 03/30/20

AMD's gaming business also has a tremendous opportunity in front of it with 2.5 billion gamers gaming across the world on mobile phones, consoles and PCs. AMD's Radeon Graphics IP to addresses of all these markets and with a new gaming architecture on the horizon AMD could be a compelling choice for gamers. Also, AMD has won the confidence of Microsoft and Sony while partnering to build their next generation gaming consoles. The PC gamer can look forward to AMD's plans to deliver a full stack of high-performance GPUs built on RDNA 2 architecture. AMD RDNA 2-based "Navi 2X" GPUs are targeted to game at 4K resolutions and will support hardware-accelerated ray tracing, variable-rate shading (VRS) and other features. I believe AMD's client and graphics products support the statement often muttered by Lisa Su, "AMD loves gamers.”  

The more relevant gaming question is if AMD can deliver the goods competitively at the premium side or market decidedly differently. I believe AMD’s Frank Azor is one of its secret weapons and a game changer, and I hope the company fully supports his initiatives.  

They was aware and had more than enough time to get this right.

0 Likes

Again I get the sentiment but earlier this year the imacs sold out I needed one to replace one that died at work. Took 6 weeks for it to come back in stock. So yes even Apple at times can't meet demand. Also Apple has had phone shortages on launch too. In fact version 12 this year. Google it for yourself. You must not watch the news as it has been reported by the media.  Have not seen a thing about the video card issues even making the media. Other than tech sites on-line.

0 Likes

I need to share the Jay Two Cents video addressing the 6800 launch or lack there off. He really nails how it went down and why once again AMD's mouth and promises again gets them in trouble. 

Worth a watch IMHO. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysjZWYXRA_E

Gamer Meld has a good video on this too  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT1QLkiQWVo

0 Likes

I expect this sort of thing from a Mom and Pop shop but a company as big as AMD not being able to have at least in the hundreds of thousands by their own launch date.  Come on now.  They already saw what happened to Nvidia so don't try to make this look like a supply and demand issue.  There was never even close to enough supply to even come close to the demand.  Best Buy received nothing, B&H received nothing, Micro Center received 12, New Egg - nothing.  The product was not sold out, it simply wasn't there to begin with.  Even on the AMD site.

This is definitely not the way a big business works.  Not in the USA.  How often do you hear this about phones or shoes?  The always have enough of the product on day 1

This was unacceptable.  I didn't like when Nvidia did it and AMD has just duplicated the same selfish process.

0 Likes

@alexanderjc7325 wrote:

I expect this sort of thing from a Mom and Pop shop but a company as big as AMD not being able to have at least in the hundreds of thousands by their own launch date.  Come on now.  They already saw what happened to Nvidia so don't try to make this look like a supply and demand issue.  There was never even close to enough supply to even come close to the demand.  Best Buy received nothing, B&H received nothing, Micro Center received 12, New Egg - nothing.  The product was not sold out, it simply wasn't there to begin with.  Even on the AMD site.

This is definitely not the way a big business works.  Not in the USA.  How often do you hear this about phones or shoes?  The always have enough of the product on day 1

This was unacceptable.  I didn't like when Nvidia did it and AMD has just duplicated the same selfish process.

I can't speak to what AMD's numbers are but even as thin as the Nvidia launch were, they confirmed they had more ready at launch than on any previous generation. 

If you waited until you had enough for everyone that might want one before launch it would be 6 months more anyway. At least this way some do get them as they trickle out. 

It will be interesting to see what if AMD does make a statement on how many cards were available and how that compares to prior launches for them. 

0 Likes

I did order a 3080FE, at least I was able to order it. As it now looks like at my local Dutch reseller I am placed #53 in the queue. And every day I see myself move up in the queue. I wanted to do the same with a 5900X, but the prices here are much higher then in other countries for example like Portugal, and sorry, but then I wait until processor is cheaper here (normal price). But the 6800XT I cannot even order here. So I think Intel/NVidia makes more chance for the datacenter, because if a consumer product already takes so much time to order, I am afraid the datacenter products will keep even longer.

As an example, my 1700 I could order at launch date, got it in 5 weeks, but there was a lot of information about it by my reseller, my 3900X i ordered at launch, took 2 weeks before I got it, but information was good. 5900X goes for prices with to much difference then the AMD proposed price, so I wait. My Asus RX480, ordered at launch, 2 days later at home, my Asus RX 580 top, ordered at launch, 1 week later at home, my Powercolor 5700XT, within one week after powercolor anounced it. But now we are not even able to order a 6800XT.

0 Likes

It is nice they are letting you get in line. Like I said I don't know of anywhere here in the USA that is even doing that.

0 Likes

I think it was a paper launch to satisfy sharehoilder promises. 

You would be much better to wait for AIB GPU launch from Sapphire anyhow. 
Look at the Gamers Nexus Teardown video of the AMD reference GPU.

Gamers Nexus RX 6800 XT Teardown Video: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s7bOaa6X9E

Plenty of room for improvement. 

@colesdav wrote:

You would be much better to wait for AIB GPU launch from Sapphire anyhow. 
Look at the Gamers Nexus Teardown video of the AMD reference GPU.

Gamers Nexus RX 6800 XT Teardown Video: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s7bOaa6X9E

Plenty of room for improvement. 

One thing to watch for those is I noticed a lot of variance in the power supply requirements from 650, to 700 to 750 for the Saphire nitro regular non XT 6800. So make sure you have the right power supply to match and don't assume all 6800s are 650 and all XTs are 750.

They teardown sure showed some odd choices that would hinder cooling. However I do think it is the best AMD has done to date on a reference card. At least it isn't a blower. 

My biggest gripe with the new series isn't the cooler or even availability. I just still think they just are not competing well enough on features and that the price is just too high because of it. 

I guess the performance numbers are semi in line with what AMD claimed but it is certainly obvious why they didn't tout any ray tracing numbers before yesterday. 

Without DLSS their ray tracing support just isn't that good so far. That doesn't mean it can't get better over time or that they will have a DLSS alternative at some point. To me it doesn't matter if it doesn't exist today it doesn't matter if you are looking to buy now. 

Well on the bright side by the time most that want one of these that can finally get one they may have 6 months to catch up in feature parity! LOL

I do get calling it a paper launch when compared to demand. I hope they release how many they did have and how this compared to prior launches. 

0 Likes

Steve knows his crap, but he has a very subtle hint of anti-AMD bias in his reviews.  At the end of the day, I'd trust the engineers at AMD a little more.  As much as Nvidia is often touted as the flagship cards, I recently had to RMA a 2 year old 2070 which started crashing in every 3d game within 30 seconds of game play. Yeah, crap happens, but this is the first time I've ever had to send a card back. Never had a problem with my AMD cards.

And it's not like I was the only one. I checked out forums online and a fair mount of 2000 series cards were dying. So, I'm not so quick to jump on the Nvidia superiority bandwagon. My previous RX 580 is still kicking in my nephew's PC and he games 24/7.

With that said, I'm excited for the AIB cards, not for improved cooling performance, but the overclocking headroom they'll be taking advantage of.

0 Likes

@jboy1450 wrote:

Steve knows his crap, but he has a very subtle hint of anti-AMD bias in his reviews.  At the end of the day, I'd trust the engineers at AMD a little more.  As much as Nvidia is often touted as the flagship cards, I recently had to RMA a 2 year old 2070 which started crashing in every 3d game within 30 seconds of game play. Yeah, crap happens, but this is the first time I've ever had to send a card back. Never had a problem with my AMD cards.

And it's not like I was the only one. I checked out forums online and a fair mount of 2000 series cards were dying. So, I'm not so quick to jump on the Nvidia superiority bandwagon. My previous RX 580 is still kicking in my nephew's PC and he games 24/7.

With that said, I'm excited for the AIB cards, not for improved cooling performance, but the overclocking headroom they'll be taking advantage of.

Not sure about Nvidia as I have never rma'd a card of theirs but also didn't buy any for nearly 20 years until RTX cards in the last 2 years. Time will tell on that front but so far so good. One is over 2 years now and the other just over a year. I have however had to RMA 2 AMD cards. One Saphire HD 7950 died at about a year and my XFX RX 580 died in a few weeks. Would have returned it but could not get another at retail as I was lucky to get it in the middle of the miner boom. Waited 9 weeks to get a new card back. Then came my Vega 56 that got returned after 3 weeks because it never worked right. No amount of tinkering would make it stable. Then came Navi 5600 and it went back too. COuld not play most my older games. Audio constanly dropped out to my tv, they still don't have that fixed for many users, had constant crashes, so back it went. Power Color has the highest rma rate in the GPU industry so AMD cards are well represented with failures. There are failures of every card made in every camp. I would not say any are really significantly better than others.

Personally to me Steve Burke is kinda like watching South Park, he doesn't play favorites he rips on all deserving. Maybe you have not seen the videos on the other side. Maybe you miss how he constantly rips on Intel. 

Of the more recent cards after getting the RX 580 back with custom settings it ran pretty good. However it would constantly black screen at defaults. It was the most stable however of the last 3 generations of cards so I can certainly believe you had a pretty good experience too with Polaris. You don't have to go further than these forums to see the countless users with issues these past couple years. I do hope RNDNA2 proves to be a lot better. 

0 Likes

@colesdav wrote:

I think it was a paper launch to satisfy sharehoilder promises. 

Yes, also my idea. I think AMD can deliver when NVidia is having it's TI's ready. To late. And with current NVidia prices and more important, they deliver (even when slowly), but they have actual products in store.

0 Likes

Just checked the N site:

Screenshot_6.png

0 Likes

I think NVidia pushed all store sales to Best Buy after the scalper debacle that they were unable to fix.  I don't think they have resumed sales at their own store, so it will likely continue to say "notify me". 

0 Likes

I know where I am the nvidia links still go to Best Buy. 

0 Likes
fyrel
Miniboss

If AMD wanted to take market share from Nvidia they should have had at least 50K units available at launch.

It doesn't matter how good the cards are if your just going to piss your customers off by not letting them buy the cards.

Seriously what a waste of a launch.