cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

gene6545
Adept I

Temps getting high on my Pro Duo

Temps getting high on my Pro Duo when working with Devinci Resolve noise reduction on longer clips. Anyone put a heat sink on the GPU's? Looking at Alpha heat Sink for a custom heat sink for each GPU. I have a case that has lots of airflow so I was thinking that a copper based finned heat sink in the airflow would work to keep the card happy.

Thanks,

Gene

8 Replies

Define "high" as GPUs are designed to withstand temperatures approaching 100*C.

it drops out around 88c.

0 Likes

88*C is nothing to worry about on the RPD under full load, remember it is a 350w, 28nm card and will run warm even with the liquid cooler.

That being said it would probably benefit from redoing the TIM, I'd recommend Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic MX-4, both are inexpensive and easy to work with, but be very careful how you remove the heatsink on a GPU, as you may need to replace the thermal pads if you tear them, and even then if you're not throttling now, which you shouldn't be at under 90*C, you're not going to gain any additional performance.

This is a tear down video for the card. Shows where the thermal pads are and what to expect when getting the cooler off.  

PCB Breakdown: AMD Radeon Pro Duo 32GB (Polaris) - YouTube 

0 Likes
leyvin
Miniboss

I doubt you need a new Heatsink., the Radeon Pro Duo are now quite "old" Cards.

2016 (Fiji)

2017 (Polaris)

Now, I had the Fiji-Based Pro Duo for a while until I replaced it with a Radeon VII... and it's performance / thermal profile was beginning to show signs of throttling.

Still this is actually quite common for Prosumer Hardware. 

Remember that these are just essentially Consumer-Grade Hardware and Materials that just happen to have BIOS that allow them to use the Professional Drivers. AMD quite specifically targets these are Independent Creators., who otherwise can't really afford Workstation (Professional Certified) Hardware.

The recently released Radeon Pro VII (which is how I'd argue the Radeon VII should've released in the first dang place) is a great example... as it is literally the Radeon VII, just enabled to use the Professional Drivers (and features, that exist on the Hardware but are Disabled with the Consumer Drivers).

As a result., while they're going to be tortured under "Professional" Workloads... like Consumer-Grade Cards, they're not really tested or using materials intended for long-term usage.

Remember Consumers upgrade every 2 - 5 years., where-as Professionals this is every 5 - 8 years (and Business' typically 8 - 12 years; which is where the "Pro" Variants of Consumer products usually come from).

This does however means things like Thermal Paste,. well it's a Consumer Compound that might have a Higher Thermal Point (new) but will degrade much faster and requires reapplication if you intend to keep torturing it under heavy workloads.

Now when I was using Workstation (WX) Cards., I never needed to worry about such... but since I've switched to Consumer and Prosumer (as it's just substantially cheaper)., well it does mean every 18months; I tend to HAVE to strip the Cards down, Clean Them and Apply New Thermal Compound. 

Just to make sure it keeps running "As Intended" otherwise performance will begin to Throttle. 

0 Likes

Thanks - very informative. Next I tear it down I'll pull the card apart and

re-paste it as necessary.

I did go on line and had a dual heat sink made to fit on the back side of

the card just for fun.

I used to be a 3d animator years ago and used Lightwave3d.

My grandson expressed an interest so I built this from used parts I found

on the net and have laying around.

It looks like it will be a while before I see him again so I got time to

mess with it. Still, the way it handled complex models was impressive and

the rendering was not to bad. Better than an OC'd 1080ti.

Thanks,

Gene

0 Likes

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, I have been looking for this information for a long time, I was very surprised when I found it here.

Thank,
ArturNoubel

0 Likes

Install more chassis fans if you need more air flow. I have the ancient HAF 932 that has more CFM than any other box out there that has posted numbers. The big 230mm fans handle over 100 cfm of air flow, but the grills do reduce the net flow to some extent.

0 Likes