cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

So why just RDNA and RDNA2? AMD FidelityFX: New Effects, Now Available in 35 Games, and “Hangar 21”

https://community.amd.com/t5/blogs/amd-fidelityfx-new-effects-now-available-in-35-games-and-hangar/b...

So this AMD post talks about the new FFX features available and I have to ask. Because I keep hearing how AMD promotes open standards and supporting features across all hardware. BLAH BLAH

And like the SAM support we recently find out can in fact be used on basically anything that supports PCIE 3 spec if they choose to do it and have not. 

Now we have these new effects that apparently only Navi and Navi2 get? 

I have to ask, unless it uses some hardware features such as the new Ray Tracing hardware for instance then this makes no sense as Navi doesn't have it and it supports it? I know of no hardware support that Navi has that GCN did not. Just an architecture change.  So that means it isn't using anything beyond the normal DX12.1 right?

So can anyone tell me then why this is not supported for all supported AMD cards then?

Nvidia has had equivalent features in GeForce experience for several years and they support all cards still supported. 

Just saying some of the new decisions at AMD are not making me feel warm and fuzzy about my prior decisions. They used to not make you get new hardware for software features that could be supported. I don't like this current trend. 

4 Replies
mackbolan777
Forerunner

You must want more black screens and other glitches, since we don't have enough AMD driver issues. Ray tracing is more or less "eye candy". I don't have time in game to notice if a shadow is perfect on my enemies lapel before he shoots me in the head. Or if the model looks realistic enough, especially in today's games. Then there's the fact AMD just wants us all to spend more money on newer cards that they rush out with issues out of the box or they sell you a piece of paper. 

SAM is found to be somewhat if not completely useless if you go over to Gamers Nexus where Steve talks about what it does and doesn't do. In fact, Shadow of the Tomb Raider was about the only game it did anything in and it was insignificant. 

We've already discussed various ways AMD makes feel "warm and fuzzy" like a bad acid trip or a mold infection.

"It worked before you broke it!"

Initially Radeon Image Sharpening was only supported for Navi GPU. 
Only workaround to get it was to install ReShade and use CAS.fx filter - on Nvidia or AMD GPUs. 

Then users asked/complained on this forum  and RIS was enabled for RX590 & earlier Polaris first. Then on RX Vega 64/56 GPUs.

I cannot remember if it is enabled for Fiji & R9390X- I will have to double check. I rarely bother with RIS. I think it is pretty useless compared to other ReShade filters.

To be honest you are probably not missimg muich for non Ray Tracing Fidelity FX features. 

It is not like AMD will have DLSS AI based image sharpening any time soon. 

Perhaps some of the new "Fidelity FX" features only get supported on the new RX6000 series GPU first. 
Then once the technology matures a bit we might get implementation for older GPUs like Navi, Vega, Polaris, Fiji etc. 

If you want some RayTrcing like features there are already ReShade based Global Illumination filters available. 
Other "Ray Tracing" type eye candy is likely on the way in ReShade, such as shadows and reflections.  

RE: I cannot remember if it is enabled for Fiji

Yes, Radeon Image Sharpening is enabled for Radeon Pro DUO (Fiji) in Adrenalin 2020 20.11.3. 
I just checked. 

0 Likes

Radeon Image Sharpening is also enabled for XFX R9 390X OC Black Edition GPU  in Adrenalin 2020 20.11.3. 
I just checked that GPU fort someone to see if Adrenalin 2020 20.11.3 Drivers install o.k. on that GPU. 
It should also work on R9 290X since the 390X is a respin with 8GB VRAM instead of 4GB.

I only have HD7970 and R9 280X left to check, both are GCN 1.0 cards. 

0 Likes