cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

StrizFPS
Journeyman III

Radeon tries to push cards past their limit without asking?

I made an interesting discovery, I'm not sure how many people are affected by it though...

I have the RX 6700 XT MECH 2X 12G OC card from MSI, and it's been crashing 6-12 times a day on me since February when I bought it.

The crash:

Monitor 1 goes black, almost as if it's not detecting any input from the PC all of a sudden. Monitor 2 stays active and so does Windows, but, only for about 15 seconds... After 15 seconds Windows completely freeze frames, and monitor 2 goes black after about 3-5 seconds once it's a still image. The system reboots, and both monitors are active again as if nothing happened.

I couldn't find a single possible cause for the sudden crash in Event Viewer. Everything logged has been tested and debunked. TPM, XMP, SAM, everything that could possibly be faulting wasn't the issue. The crashes persisted through countless changes and tests, even interrupted some of them, but still no logs generated of the actual cause.

That's when I noticed the only other persistent thing through all of this. “Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to unexpected system failure”...

Which had me scratching my head, because I've never applied an overclock or under volt to the card. So I ended up in the Tuning tab of the Performance section to check out the "default" settings.

Without any user input on my end, default settings - with the exception of disabling auto update for drivers, Radeon was trying to boost my card to 2660 MHz. I thought this was a bit odd, considering the maximum stock boost clock was up to 2581 MHz according to AMD, and up to 2620 MHz according to MSI for this card in particular.

It was trying to boost my card beyond both listed maximums.

This prompted me to open the overclocking settings and adjust them, voiding my warranty with AMD and MSI to apply the proper stock settings.

I also added a more aggressive fan curve. I didn't like the default fan curve that had the fans hitting 80% when the card hit 90c. It shouldn't ever be hitting 90c.

It's been a few hours now, trying to recreate the crash... Stress testing the card in every way I can think of... Nothing. It doesn't crash at all, regardless of what I do on the system.

I can run Halo Infinite and OBS, side by side on my 2 monitors, record gameplay footage, and render a 1080p .webm with transparency layers in After Effects/Media Encoder while listening to music on Spotify.

So now I'm sitting here scratching my head wondering why AMD's own software was trying to boost my card beyond not only their listed maximums, but also the higher maximum that MSI has listed, without any input or permission from the user. How many cards have suffered from this? Is it a software problem? Or is it some kind of hybrid hardware/software problem where my card is telling the software it's capable of Y when really it maxes out at X and the software is only doing what it's told? How and why is this a thing?

And who do I talk to about my warranty? I shouldn't have to forfeit my ability to RMA the card for "overclocking" it to stock settings.

0 Likes
6 Replies
GreatnessRD
Miniboss

Don't think that's an odd issue; just the card boosting higher because of cooling sounds like to me. You had ample cooling so it was able to boost higher. Sounds more like a gift and a blessing to me, but I could be wrong.

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)

I would accept it as a gift if it wasn't for the fact that the card would black screen while idling at the desktop. Or launching Affinity Designer or any other program after waking the system from a sleep state.

It's been black screening me since March of this year.

Running stock clocks (actual stock clocks, not what it was doing before) it black screens on both Windows 10 and 11.

There doesn't seem to be a fix. A fresh Windows install is just a bandaid.

0 Likes
StrizFPS
Journeyman III

If anyone has any idea how to fix this black screen crash, please, let me know what the fix is. I'd rather not RMA my card because I don't have a second one on hand to put in my system to be able to use it until the card gets processed and replaced.

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

What are your PC specs? Make and model please.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor

CPU Cooler:  Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240 Illusion Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory:  G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory

Storage:  Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
                 Western Digital WD_BLACK 4 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card:  MSI MECH 2X OC Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Video Card

Case: Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 Mesh w/o Controller ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply:  Cooler Master MWE GOLD 750 V2 FULL MODULAR 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Monitor:  MSI Optix G24C4 23.6" 1920 x 1080 144 Hz Curved Monitor
                  MSI Optix G24C4 23.6" 1920 x 1080 144 Hz Curved Monitor

Case Fan:  Cooler Master MasterFan MF Halo 47.2 CFM 120 mm Fan
                   Cooler Master MasterFan MF Halo 47.2 CFM 120 mm Fan

Edition: Windows 10 Pro
Version: 22H2
Installed on: 2022-‎10-‎31
OS build: 19045.2251
Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0

AMD Software: Adrenaline Edition Version
Released 2022-10-25

BIOS Version: 7C91vAB
Release Date: 2022-08-31

0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

what make/model/age of power supply are you running?

I ran the MSI 6700xt Mech 2x OC in my rig without issue since I've had it . .and it now runs in my daughters rig without issue .. but I've always adjusted my fan curve to be higher than default and I run mesh front case for good air flow.. me, wife and daughter all run dual monitor setups

her setup: 5800x,x570 Steel Legend,2x16GB 3200 CAS16 sticks @ 3600 CAS16,Evga GQ 850wtt 80+ Gold

Things to do /try if you want on top of what you have already done/do:

Make sure you are running separate power cables from your PSU to each power input on the GPU..don't daisy chain power connectors off of same cable

Make sure your motherboards BIOS is up to date

Make sure you are running the latest chipset drivers for whatever chipset you are running

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes