cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

CFAN
Adept I

R5 5600 stays at max frequency all the time

I've been having an issue for the past two weeks now with my CPU (r5 5600) sitting consistently at its max core clock while idle.  This problem started after unplugging my tower to move it.  Nothing I've tried so far seems to have had much luck at fixing the problem (i.e. Clean/Safe boot, Clean Install of Windows, turning off any OC settings in BIOS). 

While the OC (Turbo Boost, AMD CBS & AMD OC being on auto) settings were on it would boost to its max (4.40 Ghz) and cause constant stuttering and system instability.  Turning all the latter off fixed the stability issues but the core clock still sits at its base (3.5 Ghz) consistently.  

At this point I am about to just give in and RMA both the CPU and MOBO to see which of the two are causing issues, if it is a hardware issue to begin with.  But before I go that route, would anyone in the forums lend some insight to what the issue could possible be?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Are you looking at the 'Core Effective Clocks' in hwinfo64.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Hi,
Have you tried and edited power options and lowered the minimum processor state?

johnnyenglish_0-1665264084675.png

Which monitoring tool are you using, Hwinfo, Coretemp, Ryzen Master, other?

When you unplug for a long while (power cycle) normally a soft reset can occur. Not sure if its the case but it could be the answer or you may have done an update that impacts it. IDK.

Try the above.

Good Luck

The Englishman
0 Likes

My system is not following the minimum processor state, but when I lower the maximum power state it does.  Funny thing is about the monitoring tools, Hwinfo shows the same data as Taskmanager but Ryzen Master shows the CPU sitting at idle frequency.

0 Likes

Are you looking at the 'Core Effective Clocks' in hwinfo64.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes