Journeyman III

PUBG lags, switched from Nvidia 1050ti to AMD RX580

Hi,

My specs:
Ryzen 3 1200 3.1GHZ
8GB DD4 2133 MHz
240GB SSD

RX580 8GB

I'm running PUBG at 70 FPS average on my zotac 1050TI.

Recently I purchase a RX580 and installed it on my pc. Eveything is fine, no errors or anything. I play smooth on DOTA 2, Black Dessert Online except for PUBG. Can someone help? When I start PUBG, the game lags from the start. I already reinstall it and still the same, I also deleted the settings found in AppData/Local/TslGame. No Help.

Any help is really appreciated. Missing playing PUBG

16 Replies
pablo1301
Adept I

Hola recibiste respuesta por este problema. Yo tengo actualmente uno similar, cambie mi nvidia 1050ti por la amd 5700rx y ahora no me funciona el pubg.

Me podés ayudar? Gracias.

0 Likes

In general PUBG is a horribly optimized game. Even the developer says this. It does favor the green team in performance. It also favors high single core speed. A 1050ti in my experience as a gpu is considerably less powerful than an RX 580. However a 1050ti is less cpu dependent. Meaning a slower cpu will bottleneck an RX 580 before it would a 1050ti. 

It may help to look at these optimization guides:

Steam Community :: Guide :: PUBG Optimization 

Best Settings for PUBG to Get Maximum FPS [PUBG Optimization Tips] 

0 Likes
warsun
Challenger

I have been advising this for a while. I tried on Reddit but i don't post there often so they not only deleted my post but threatened me about not staying on the site an continuously post. Yeah i am just gonna hit as many people as i can with this good advice. Roll it back. Set your settings to default on your graphics card then.

Uninstall your driver an install this one. https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-17-9-1 

There is no doubt that the pre-Wattman drivers were far more stable. Unfortunately depending on what you play using them may or may not be possible. If you need the added fixes for particular games you are out of luck. If you are a non-gamer those old drivers may very well be much more stable. I know they were for me. 

Subsequently I have seen this advice spammed across many threads where not applicable. Older drivers may be a great fix for supported cards as suggested in this thread. However one should never load an old driver for an unsupported card. If in doubt read the release notes. They always spell out what cards are supported. 

An you have tested this when? Because i can contest it. I have used them on the many computers i have built and on the different cards i have bought. The driver is perfectly fine. If you have no proof then you have to consider it an option.

The proof is in the release notes for the driver. Plus the fact that an 5700XT is NAVI architecture not GCN. The driver you suggest only supports GCN period. 

Taken right from the release notes. These are the cards supported:

Radeon Product Compatibility
Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 17.9.1 is compatible with the following AMD Radeon products.

Note: AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury, Radeon™ Pro Duo, Radeon™ RX 400 Series, AMD Radeon™ RX 500 Series and Radeon RX Vega Series Graphics are only supported by Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition on Windows 7/10 64-bit.

Radeon Desktop Product Family Compatibility
Radeon RX Vega Series GraphicsRadeon™ RX 500 Series Graphics
Radeon™ RX 400 Series GraphicsAMD Radeon™ Pro Duo
AMD Radeon™ R7 300 Series GraphicsAMD Radeon™ R7 200 Series Graphics
AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury Series GraphicsAMD Radeon™ R5 300 Series Graphics
AMD Radeon™ R9 Nano Series GraphicsAMD Radeon™ R5 200 Series Graphics
AMD Radeon™ R9 300 Series GraphicsAMD Radeon™ HD 8500 - HD 8900 Series Graphics
AMD Radeon™ R9 200 Series Graphics

AMD Radeon™ HD 7700 - HD 7900 Series Graphics

0 Likes

Yes i see. An you are deeply concerned that it wont work. Here is the fact. It can work an if it doesn't. You just uninstall it. its not like it does any damage. Relax.If it doesn't work you just Remove the card hit the power turning it on. Then turn it off. unplug it. Put the card back in. Then plug it back in an turn on the power an it restores to the default installed driver for Windows. You are literally shaking with fear of something. Relax. Its fine.

0 Likes

FYI that is not the correct way to pull a card either. You should always uninstall the driver, then before shutting down you should also remove the card from the device manager then power down and pull the card. 

0 Likes
leyvin
Miniboss

Anything on Unreal Engine 3 or 4 is generally going to run better on NVIDIA than AMD / ATI.

PUBG, while rarely mentioned as such... is an Unreal Engine 4 Game., using quite an early version of the "Free Development" Engine by a 1st Time Developer; whose primarily using Kismet Scripting.

In other words., it runs pretty poorly on most Hardware. 

Now as an added "Aw Damn it!" aspect., since about 2005 ... Epic and NVIDIA have been best buddies. 

Hence why they switched from MathEngine Karma (today known as Havok Physics) to PhysX, a switch to Integrate Gameworks., which as an added "Dick Move" they removed all previous DirectX 12 support at the time ... leading to some shipped games (Gear of War 4 on PC for example, suddenly loosing DirectX 12 Support and tanking performance on all AMD GCN Cards) at least until RTX Integration in Mid 2019., along side the Turing Architecture Release; but they've only recently (about 4 months ago) added it to the Release Engine (for use in Fortnite).

And as a note if you're a UE4 Developer., you can presently only enable it with Source Code Access; and even then it isn't exactly made "Developer Friendly" to re-enable without RTX (then it's just an option in the Editor).

So, yeah... to say that UE4 isn't exactly "AMD Graphics Architecture Friendly" (outside of Consoles) would be an understatement.

Typically speaking, even in Fortnite... GCN will tend to get about 65% the Performance of their Competitor on DirectX 11., but in the new DirectX 12 Mode; they claw back to ~80-85%.

Keep in mind in most DirectX 12 Games the RX 580 will comfortably out-perform the GTX 1060, and in most DirectX 11 Games will tend to trade blows. 

Given that PUBG tends to be a little less performant overall (10-12% Lower Performance than Fortnite) due to less optimisation AND it suffers from horrible Frame Jitter / Stutter on AMD Architecture... I wouldn't recommend it with said game.

I mean the reality is... there is a reason why in the 8th Gen, Unreal Engine 3 was ubiquitous as "THE" Game Engine everything used., as while sure it screwed over ATI a bit; it wasn't too bad.

Frankly I'd argue that was the influence of CliffyB and them being Microsoft Partners... but since switching to Tencent and Sweeny being in-charge (who after the end of their Microsoft Partnership was just seriously unprofessional with his constant attacks against the Xbox and UWP Platforms... not to mention DirectX 12 being EVERYTHING they'd been asking in a Graphics API, but then when it released they suddenly trashed it?!? Well, I think it somehow helps to explain why A LOT of their Talent jumped ship to form Coalition and go straight back to Microsoft) was all probably something keeping that more unbias that meant ... sure performance could be poor, but it was bad on both ATI and NVIDIA (in different ways, but still bad).

With Unreal Engine 4 though... it's like all pretence went out the door, and with it a lot of Studios switched to either make their own Engines (which is a great thing, as Studios should have their own engines and be that close to the hardware to get the most out of what they want to create) or jumped ship to Unity; which again might not have great performance, but at least they're not taking sides with a Graphics or Processor IHV.

If you still have your NVIDIA GPU, and MUST play PUBG (I think there's some better options available today, as most games have some form of Battle Royale now) then just keep it in there and set Windows 10 up to switch to it when using that Game. 

If not... eh, you'll probably just have to live with lower framerates than you're used to even with optimised settings. 

But then flipside... most other games are going to run great. 

i have same problem with AMD. Much lags and stuttering, (5700XT) and the support don't help and not solve my issue.

0 Likes

Check it 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAoXgbdnjgU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVzCmD1cDxY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GcIHmEclYs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d19-q1lf4ac

0 Likes

I have not had issues with UE3 or UE4 based games.

I have several games using the Unreal engine and developers who take the time to make good games are not going to compile it for any particular video card.

Microsoft Games uses the Unreal engine extensively.

PUBG has been a surprise success but the game needs a lot of work on it. Lots of work to do to clean it up.

0 Likes

Given that at present there is a KNOWN issue with the AMD Drivers (and thus all GCN / RDNA Cards) on Unreal Engine 3 games., which is patched out in the Drivers that still supported Terascale Architecture... then I'm going to say BS., but even if we ignore the Geometry Culling that doesn't work on AMD Graphics that results in substantially lower (typically up to 50%) vs. the comparable NVIDIA Graphics...

There are still the issues of Micro-Stutter that were present in the DirectX 9 Version., became progressively worse with the switched to DirectX 10 and 11... which affect ALL Graphics Cards. Again, I'm going to have to say BS that you've had no issues in terms of performance on UE3 Games. 

Unreal Engine 4 has also since launch had some notable performance issues. 

And on AMD Graphics., it is common knowledge that comparable NVIDIA Graphics will have substantially better overall performance... this is reduced in the new DirectX 12 Path (now they've finally finished and released it) but there is STILL a clear degradation in performance in favour of NVIDIA., which keep in mind typically in DirectX 12 (or Vulkan) "Comparable" AMD Graphics will often have a slight performance advantage, provided Developers are Agnostic in their Optimisation Targeting.

The *ONLY* Unreal Engine 4 Games that provide AMD Graphics with a performance advantage are Gears of War 4 and 5... and actually today Gears 4 doesn't.

At Launch it did, because it Coalition did what most Studios won't do... which was rip out the entire Rendering Pipeline and Build their Own. 

Now in fairness with Gears 4 they HAD to because Epic was refusing to continue Development of their DirectX 12 Integration; and Gears 4 *HAD* to be a DirectX 12 Showcase game for Microsoft Game Studios. 

But that (on PC) was ultimately removed,.. I can't tell you why. All I can tell you is there was a patch... one Day it had DirectX 12, the next it didn't and instead suddenly was using Gameworks. Performance on AMD Graphics tanked... HARD, as well as introducing Frame Jitter that wasn't there before. 

Gear 5 however while "Technically" uses Unreal Engine 4., it's actually a branched path and is heavily modified... 

Once again an updated version of their DirectX 12 API is back (and is a damn sight better than Epic's implementation), but they overhauled a lot of that Engine. 

Now while you can say "Oh but Microsoft uses Unreal Engine in most of their 1st Party Games...", that doesn't mean it's "Good" or even particularly good for their Hardware. Microsoft simply have a perpetual License due to their deal with Epic... it makes it cheap (well free) for them to use it., and it's generally "Good Enough" for what most Studios want to do, because well Graphical Fidelity and High Performance was never a major concern. 

Rather what was, tended to be rapid development pipelines; which given Unreal Engine is a complete Workflow Pipeline, and Industry Standard... I mean it makes it somewhat perfect for needs.

I'd argue the ONLY reason Coalition are still "using it" ... is because Gears was born on Unreal Engine, and in fairness most of the guys there built the original engine in the first place; they know it probably better than the Epic "Old Guard" that are still left there. 

Personally I think their Epic' Engines were better BEFORE they got in bed with NVIDIA and Tencent... clear there are influences and that results in them having a reputation for basically screwing over AMD Hardware.

And that's not just me saying that, it's well known. Digital Foundry FFS have done half a dozen pieces and technical reviews on this very topic. 

They mention how it basically doesn't like AMD Hardware in every UE3/UE4 Game Review; which is likely why in the Gears 4 and 5 reviews they're massively surprised that Coalition was able to change that. 

That has NOTHING to do with "Optimisation" that other Studios don't do, unless by that you mean basically rewriting large chunks of the Engine.

The last time a Developer rewrote THAT much of the Engine they were "Modifying" for their needs; we got Half-Life and the Gold Source Engine. 

0 Likes

Given I clean up my machine often, I do not see stuttering or any of the other anomalies.

I install windows clean quite often mainly when there are problems

0 Likes
pablo1301
Adept I

Muchas gracias por la informaciòn. Me ha sido muy util.

0 Likes