cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

PcGamer1
Adept I

PC will stay on, but restarts randomly while gaming with WHEA error logs

I've had my PC for about a year now and recently, I've been experiencing random restarts while gaming specifically. No blue screen, my PC doesn't lose power, monitors just turn black and my PC reboots. I've researched endlessly to figure out what the exact problem is but everyone seems to have different answers and couldn't find a solution. It does seem however that people have pinpointed it to be either the CPU, PSU, or the MOBO. I've looked at the event viewer and I always get the same 2 errors when this happens. The things I've already tried, making sure windows 11 is up to date, updated GPU and chipset drivers, reseated my RAM and GPU, memtest86 and passed with no errors, Prime95 test with no errors, updated BIOS to the latest non-beta version. I do have XMP enabled but have had it enabled ever since I got my PC and I've never had an issue with this until recently so I don't think that's the culprit. Haven't messed with any BIOS settings either. I've also monitored temps while gaming and there hasn't been any issue there either. I'm at a complete standstill at what to do, I could dish out the extra money to purchase a new part if necessary I just don't know what exact part it would be. Any help would be appreciated.

MOBO: ASRock B550M-C

CPU: Ryzen 7 5700x

RAM: 2x16GB G.Skill 3600Mhz CL16

GPU: 4070 MSI Ventus 3x OC

SSD: 1TB Gigabyte 2500E M.2

PSU: Montech 650W Gold (don't know exact model)

Event 18, WHEA-Logger

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
Processor APIC ID: 0

Event 46, WHEA-Logger

Component: Memory

11 Replies
ed6698
Adept III

I have come across that a couple times when I had my Asus B550-F gaming motherboard and 5800x cpu. Since I see that it says component is memory, I would give the memory a tad more voltage and see what happens. If the memory is 1.35 volts I would give 1.4 volts a try and see what happens for starters. You may also want to consider getting a higher wattage/better PSU also. You are slightly above the recommended PSU wattage with that GPU by 50 watts, I would move up to at least a 850 or more watt psu to give more headroom for voltage spikes that may occur and any possible future upgrades.

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero-Ryzen 5950X-Noctua NH D15 Chromax Black-4x8GB 32Gb GSkill DDR4@3800-Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC-Solidigm P44 Pro 1TB-Solidigm P44 Pro 2TB-Super Flower 1000W Leadex SE Platinum
0 Likes

Okay thanks for the reply, I'll definitely try out raising the voltage to 1.4 and see if that helps anything. Its hard to recreate the problem since its so random. Also, doing more research, I noticed I had my ram set to 3600 MT/s which is not a problem for my motherboard, but off of AMD's website my CPU can handle up to 3200 MT/s. Do you think having my ram too high of speed for my CPU could be the culprit? Could be why its saying the component is the memory.

0 Likes

That is possible, you could always try lowering it to 3200 and try. However I believe 3600 should run no problem. My GSkill ram is rated at 3600 and I have always been able to run it at 3800, even on my 5800x when I used it on my B550 board. I still think your PSU may still be coming into play on this once it gets under load during gaming. Are you using curve optimizer by any chance?

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero-Ryzen 5950X-Noctua NH D15 Chromax Black-4x8GB 32Gb GSkill DDR4@3800-Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC-Solidigm P44 Pro 1TB-Solidigm P44 Pro 2TB-Super Flower 1000W Leadex SE Platinum
0 Likes

Yeah I'll give it a try since I have no other options. It's just so weird to me because I always had it at 3600 and its just now recently starting to do this. Maybe one of my components is dying prematurely out of bad luck. I hope you're right about being skeptical about the PSU since they aren't too expensive. I just hope if I decide to get a new one, I don't waste money if its something else. And no I haven't downloaded any software related to curve optimizing. The only software I've downloaded is MSI Afterburner which I didn't mess with anything I only downloaded it to monitor temps, but I have since uninstalled. I also have CPU-Z but that's it. I would also like to mention this started happening after I moved into a new apartment for school. 

Edit: I would also like to mention it doesn't ALWAYS happen in every gaming session. One time I had a game running for 6 hours (part of it was afk) and no problems. Another time I was playing for an hour and it happened after that. I don't know if this information helps but I thought I'd point it out. Also has happened on 2 different games.

0 Likes

Just see how raising the voltage on ram does, you can even go up even a little more on the ram voltage, but just do it incrementally. With my GSkill ram at 3800 I am running the voltage at 1.410 with no issues, the slight increase in voltage will not raise the ram temperatures up much if even at all. Also would not hurt to raise the DRAM Current Capability to 110%, I run mine at 120%, should be in the Exteme Tweaker part of Bios.

I asked about curve optimizer, but I should have said the one in the Bios. I never use software for adjusting settings that should be done in Bios. If the curve gets pushed to much on a core it can cause errors also on just 1 core that effects ram. There were times I would have the exact black screen and restart just as you decribed with your computer just viewing a web page. Only would do it once or twice a week out of nowhere, could go a week or 2 and never do it also. Let me know if you still encounter the issue even after slight voltage increase on ram. Also getting a better PSU would not be wasting money. I don't know much about  Montech PSU's, I have saw 1 rated very good, and others not. But we can look into that later.

0 Likes

Okay so I'll turn on my XMP to the original 3600 and up the voltage to 1.4 and see if that solves the issue. I agree with a new PSU not being a waste of money I was more talking about replacing the motherboard or CPU. I'll try to update ASAP on what happens. 

Quick question, you said you had the same issue happening with you on your B550 MOBO. Did you ever end up solving it? Or did you just move on with your new setup?

0 Likes

Yes, increasing the ram voltage and raising the DRAM Current Capability pretty much ended my issue and with my current setup, because I am using the same ram with my current setup. Only reason I changed motherboards with the 5950X was the B550 board did not seem to be able to power the 5950x to its full potential. The Asus Crosshair Dark Hero VIII motherboard can easily provide the power the 5950x needs. Plus I liked that both m.2 drives can run at full potential Pci 4.0, where on the B550 board one drive is limited to Pci 3.0.

The B550 MB and 5800x are still in use by a relative, just with a different set of GSkill ram. First thing I did when I set it up it for him was to raise the ram voltage and he has never had a issue with it. I just used his PC case and video card and power supply.

0 Likes

So literally just a couple minutes ago the same restart happened with the ram at 3600 and the voltage at 1.4. I guess I'll try lowering it to 3200 and keeping the voltage stock and see if doing this will solve the problem. I looked at my event viewer and it only produced;

Event 46, WHEA-Logger

Component: Memory

this time. It didn't include the event 18 from the original post too for some reason. It also produced a dump file and said "the computer rebooted from a bug check". Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Are we sure its the RAM? Or could it mean something else?

0 Likes

Since your computer ran fine for about a year with the ram at 3600. Now this is how I would go about it, gonna need to try a process of elimination in my opinion. I would start with the power supply, like I said you are running boarderline with 650 watt PSU with a 4070 gpu. I would invest in at minimum a good 850 watt PSU. I am running a 1000 watt PSU, reason I did that was in case I wanted to upgrade something that would require some more juice, plus have plenty of headroom, now if I was considering running a 4090 or other power hungry gpu I would have probably gone with a 1200 watt psu.Plus you could use it if you ever upgrade to a different cpu or move on to AM5. If you don't want to go that route, get  another set of ram that is QVL to your motherboard, I would stick with GSkill and 3600. The decisions are yours, I am only suggesting  my opinion on how I would approach it. Those type of errors are tricky to diagnose, but you have to start with a good PSU that provides plenty of overhead. That was the first thing I thought of when I read your original post.

0 Likes
Jay2645
Journeyman III

I've started seeing this behavior too. Just started yesterday on Linux, after updating. Exact same symptoms. I'm on a Ryzen 5 3600X. Motherboard is a ASRock B450 Gaming-ITX/ac.

Linux kernel errors report something very similar to Windows Event Viewer:

Sep 02 13:41:02 bazzite kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
Sep 02 13:41:02 bazzite kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 4: Machine Check: 0 Bank 5: bea0000000000108
Sep 02 13:41:02 bazzite kernel: fbcon: Taking over console
Sep 02 13:41:02 bazzite kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC 0 ADDR eaaa31ee MISC d012000100000000 SYND 4d000000 IPID 500b000000000
Sep 02 13:41:02 bazzite kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 2:870f10 TIME 1725309657 SOCKET 0 APIC a microcode 8701013
Sep 02 13:41:02 bazzite kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
Sep 02 13:41:02 bazzite kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 7: Machine Check: 0 Bank 5: bea0000000000108
Sep 02 13:41:02 bazzite kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC 0 ADDR 1ffff8209f80e MISC d012000100000000 SYND 4d000000 IPID 500b000000000
Sep 02 13:41:02 bazzite kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 2:870f10 TIME 1725309657 SOCKET 0 APIC 3 microcode 8701013

0 Likes
Sam13
Journeyman III

Hello, I've been facing this issue for weeks now too I have a Ryzen 7 5700x and asus tuf b550m-plus wifi ii. I've realized that every person that faces this error kernel 41 have two things in common, they're using asus as their motherboard so it could be an issue with this

At least for me it's not a software issue (windows or linux) since the restart happened to me even when sitting on bios screen. I've tried a bunch of things and none of them has helped so far, the restarts are so random that i can have a good day without even one restart and then 20 restarts in a span of 20 minutes. I'm hoping someone can share their experience of how they fixed it (if there's even anyone who has) but I think the best solution would be to switch MOBO at this point

0 Likes