GPU: 8gb Sapphire RX590 Nitro+ OC 256bit

PSU:Corsair 750watts PSU, HX, HX750

Casing: CM Cooler Master MasterCase H500 TG, iron gray, atx, 2x200mm 1x120mm

Keyboard and Mouse: Razer Cynosa Bundle

Headset: Steel Series Arctis 7

Other components coming from old builds are:

250GB SSD

500GB HDD

I recently installed a Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240, idle temperatures improved from 40C-50C to 30C-35C.

After the installation of the AIO Cooler, when I play games, in this case They are Billions, the screen freezes, blacks out and recovers. The timing and frequency of the freezing differs sometimes it occurs after around 15 to 20 minutes of continuous game play then occurs every 3 to 5 minutes to sometimes every minute, number of screen freezes varies from 3 to 5 in one hour to as high as 10 to 12 in one hour. System log sometimes show errors on “amdkmdap” and “display driver encountered an error and recovered” that seem to be around the time of the screen freeze.

There were no Windows and GPU drivers updates done prior to the installation of the AIO cooler, but to be sure that software issues are ruled out, I did a clean install of GPU drivers and checked Windows updates for any broken update installations.

I encountered the said freezing before with Rise of the Tomb raider and Shadow of War using the stock CPU cooler but not as frequent as this one when the AIO cooler was installed and it seems to be addressed when fixing the GPU frequency and setting the power factor to 50%. Steam overlay was also disabled.

I also installed HWMonitor Pro and logged the time the screen freeze occurs, based on the graphs, CPU and GPU utilization, power and voltage seem to drop around the same time of the screen freeze.

I am not sure if it is a power supply issue but 750W seems to be enough for me.

I will try installing again the stock cooler and see if the issue is addressed.

Anyone knows why this happens?

0 Likes
12 Replies

I suspect it could be a voltage issue, doubtful as it is a Corsair PSU but it's good to rule this out first, as the problems increased with an increased power load. Load up HWiNFO64 and let it run while you play a game until it freezes, paying close attention to the +12v voltage. Drops below 11.9v indicate a potential problem, 11.8v means your PSU is the culprit.

0 Likes

Machines can run with less voltage but if a PSU sags that much it could be time for a new one.

Newer power supplies like my HX1000i are 80 plus platinum 

0 Likes

My HX750 is brand new and also 80 plus platinum

0 Likes

Looks like that PSU has a switch in the back for single rail and multiple rail. Make sure the switch is set to single rail. But considering you tried the older PSU and same issue exists, it's probably not PSU related or both PSUs have the issue.

0 Likes

I also changed from multiple to single rail, problem still there

Next steps I took are the following, the problem did not go away;

1.Installed my old PSU HX620

2. Installed again my stock cooler

After doing above, I though this might not be a hardware issue so I re installed my windows, did not install any motherboard utilities just the drivers, clean install of latest Radeon software (19.5.2) but still i encountered the errors at two instances;

1. while installing AutoCAD

2. while using powerpoint (inserting a picture)

for the GPU i did the following;

1. adjusted the boost switch, this reduces the boost clock to 1545 from 1560

2.in wattman profile i reduced maximum clock to 1390 and increased power limit to 50%

I am currently downloading a game to check if error will happen while gaming

0 Likes

ron914 wrote:

My HX750 is brand new and also 80 plus platinum

excellent

0 Likes

+12V voltage are stable above 12V, even during the event of the error

Installed my old HX620W PSU, error still occured

0 Likes

Have you tried different driver versions, doing a clean install with each one?

0 Likes
qwixt
Forerunner

Did you install the AIO driver software? If so, try uninstalling it and not using it.

0 Likes

The AIO cooler that i installed does not have any software bundled with it, i did not install any software

0 Likes

try windows reset which will clean up any problems 

0 Likes

The RX590 requires a minimum PSU wattage of 600 watts plus you also have a Rzyen with a TDP Wattage of 95 with the AIO CPU Cooler. But your high quality PSU should be sufficient to run your computer without any power issues.

Have you tried to using AMD Wattman to configure the RX590 Power as per this AMD Thread: https://community.amd.com/message/2915523?commentID=2915523#comment-2915523?q=rx590%20wattman 

If you set the Power Limit to 50 in Wattman and set the GPU Fan curve to be aggressive and you continue to crash, I would suggest Stress testing the GPU card to see what data is showing when it crashes such as temperature, voltages, etc.

I personally like using OCCT since it stress tests the CPU, GPU, and PSU. But there are others that you may prefer or believe are better.

0 Likes