cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Orbeez
Journeyman III

PC Black Screen Restarts/Green Screen Crashes

Hello, I am writing this post because my PC restarts with no warning and has also green screen crashed on a game. I previously have dealt with the issue of random restarts before, a year ago actually, and I remember I fixed it by lowering the voltage of my GPU. Although, I'm not 100% sure on that. I have reason to believe the GPU is suspect again, as upon searching the forums there are many people with similar problems who have the same series of GPU. However, I am unsure if the green screen crash is linked to the random restarts as it only happens on one game (Sea of Thieves) and gives me an error about the video driver. At first I shrugged off the green screen crashes as a faulty driver problem, but today my PC restarted several times so now I'm confused.

Event Viewer gives this critical error for the random restarts: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly. Source: Kernel Power Event ID: 41 and this regular error for the green screen crashes: A fatal hardware error has occurred. Reported by component: Processor Core Error Source: Machine Check Exception Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error Processor APIC ID: 1 Source: WHEA-Logger Event ID: 18. I'm very confused because the green screen crash error was what I used to get a year ago for the same random restarts I'm getting now, but now the random restarts have a different error?? Even weirder is that the critical error I'm getting now for the random restarts seems to point to a faulty PSU.

Here is my full build:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (using stock cooler)

AS Rock Phantom Gaming D3 Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB 

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 MHz

Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE 

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM HD

Kingston A400 240 GB SSD

Corsair CX550M 550 W Semi-Modular 80+ Bronze 

Cooler Master Master Box NR600 ATX Mid Tower Case 

Things to note:

My case has 6 fans total from a brand I cannot remember (3 front, 2 top, 1 back)

The restarts can happen at any time, regardless of load.

A year ago I tried a numerous amount of things; such as reinstalling windows and performing a clean boot, rolling back GPU drivers, uninstalling Adrenaline, testing RAM with Mem Test, uninstalling Ryzen Master, updating BIOS, resetting the CMOS, updating CPU drivers, updating GPU drivers, disabling secure boot, underclocking ram, cleaning PC (including changing thermal paste). They all did not solve the previous issue.

My CPU runs hotter on idle, averages about 48C on H Wi NFO (result of stock fan and Ryzen High Performance power plan). I don't think switching power plans would change much (like to Ryzen Balanced).

I have not stress tested or benchmarked any of my hardware yet as of writing this, but I did try to load up Sea of Thieves today and everything seemed fine. Temps were ok, although the hard drive was on 100% nearly the whole 15 minutes which I'm not sure if that is reason for concern or not. Hard drive is not full btw. 

I might try reseating all my hardware tomorrow, but I don't think that will change much.

All drivers are completely updated, including BIOS, and my RAM is currently running at the intended speed (3200 MHz)

Windows 10 is completely updated, including optional driver updates. (except for the windows 11 update of course)

My PC is in a different room than last year, meaning its plugged into a different outlet than before (if power has anything to do with it)

I hope somebody can help me out with this issue, it is very frustrating because it can happen at any time, and also making it hard to replicate. I think the green screen crash can be replicated though. 

0 Likes
0 Replies