cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

New VII card!

During AMD's CES Keynote on Wednesday, company President and CEO Lisa Su unveiled the Radeon VII, the world's first 7nm gaming GPU.

AMD claims the Radeon VII will have 25 percent more performance at the same power, 16 GB high-performance memory and 1 TB/sec bandwidth.

It was demoed at the the keynote with Devil May Cry 5, which Su said was running at "well above" 60 frames per second at 4K resolution. Su said there's about a 25 percent improvement in performance across games on average, and mentioned a 35 percent boost in performance on Battlefield 5.

The Radeon VII comes out Feb. 7, and costs $699. It comes bundled with the Resident Evil 2 remake, The Division 2 and the afore-mentioned Resident Evil 5.

---------

I hope there are some more affordable cards to soon follow! Good news from AMD though.

0 Likes
5 Replies

Beat you to it. And how is this good news? It's 100% more expensive than a RTX 2060 while only having 30% more performance? All this is going to do is keep prices sky high...

AMD Announces Vega II for February 7th: $699, ~30% performance improvement vs Vega 64

0 Likes

No you didn't beat me too it, I got moderated. Not that it's a contest. Wasn't looking for an argument were you? Frankly I wasn't expecting anything at all out of AMD so for me that's about the only good news. Frankly with the state of drivers and issues and lack of overall innovation I am seeing any continued development in the consumer gaming card area as a sign of life and some level of continuing development. So maybe just being the glass half full type, hoping things are going to get better. Either way has anyone seen any real 3rd party numbers on either product to really know what they do. Even Nvidia has been know to overstate abilities. It isn't like the the flagship rtx product lit the world on fire. Yah it's good stuff no doubt but not as much better as they were promoting. I like to wait for real world testing across many sites to get too exited. I also am not very exited about only 6gb of memory. I have several games using my 8 right now. I agree with you on pricing. I can't see where AMD will be able to charge that price. Maybe they sell some at launch, maybe this is really just a PR/Paper launch and it will turn out to be a lot of vapor ware. Original Vega hasn't exactly been available in reliable numbers IMHO and that wasn't just mining.

0 Likes

Waiting for 3rd party benchmarks is always a smart thing. I believe our only hope for competition to keep Nvidia in check is going to come from Intel putting out a discreet GPU. But if someone is in the market for a new card now I wouldn't advise waiting on Intel or Navi. Can't be living in the future.

0 Likes

The problem is you -can't- wait for either of those if you need a new card today, as they're too far in the future, and both have way too many question marks. The problem is it's bloody difficult to recommend any video card except a single model of the RX 580, as all the rest are yet again above $200. It's scary times again, like the half decade AMD was flailing around with the ill performing X1000, HD 2000, and HD 3000 series cards, leaving nVidia virtually unchallenged.

0 Likes

I agree the RX 580 is the only card in their lineup I would reccomend. It is still one heck of 1080p card and as long as you don't have to have a solid 60 frames it does 1440p very well too. I don't have a single game I can't play maxed at a frame rate acceptable to me.

0 Likes