cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Clappin_Cheeks
Journeyman III

Need Help.. What Should i do next.. Need Help ASAP PLEASE

I didn't Know What my Next Step should be?!!? Please HELP ME!! .. Well lets start off with what i built it was my first ever on my own build.. so its prob. terrible.. I have  ASUS AM4 TUF GAMING X570-Plus ATX Motherboard with PCIe 4.0, Dual M.2, 12+2 with Dr. MOS Power Stage, HDMI, DP, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.2 Gen 2 and Aura Sync.. along with  the ... AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12-Core 3.8 GHz Socket AM4 105W... EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER FTW3 ULTRA GAMING, 08G-P4-3277-KR, 8GB GDDR6, iCX2 Technology, RGB LED, ... ++64GB Ram G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 RAM Memory++ ( A little Much .. nah it will be ok ..LOL ) but  oh well also have 92 TB's with SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 4.0 // for my most 2 played games and 4TB Seagate Internal For my Game I'm playing the most  that time. Also NZXT Kraken X63 280mm.. I have 2 ... 27in 0.1ms ASUS Gaming Monitors one is Nvidia  Gsync 240hz other is Free Sync Asus 0.1ms response 240hz.. Both are 27in.. Obviously i think my next step is the Nvidia 3070,3080 Graphics Card or Should i go with AMD?. So Confused at this Also is there a better Motherboard Nothing Crazy in Price mostly a waste paying more than 300$ U.S. for MoBo.. Suggestions Please Anyone?!?!

0 Likes
15 Replies

RE: Suggestions please anyone. 

1. Break up the text in your post so it is easy to read.
2. You will need to purchase a power supply. 
3. RE: Obviously i think my next step is the Nvidia 3070,3080 Graphics Card or Should i go with AMD?. 

This is an AMD Forum. 
What GPU do you think we are supposed to recommend?

Right now, the response is: 
One that actually exists, at MSRP, that you can actually purchase. 

mackbolan777
Forerunner

Yep, this post is everywhere and nowhere.... But @colesdav is right on 2 things. You fail to mention a PSU and this is an AMD forum. You're build is overall fine, however you already have mixed technologies in the monitors. One G-Sync, one FreeSync. While both do the very same thing, since AMD developed G-Sync ( it's really FreeSync renamed by license), you may have issues if one monitor is not running the same brand "sync". Same with GPU's, you can't run an AMD with an NVidia together on the same PC. 

Being that the AMD RX 5700 XT has beaten the RTX 2070 you mention in numerous tests, I would say get rid of that and go with an AMD RX 5700 XT. That said, if you plan to run dual cards or more, they need to be the same brand and I would recommend the very same cards. Meaning (hypothetically) "2 X Gigabyte Windforce RX 5700 XT" in Crossfire. The RX 5700 XT also comes very close to the Nvidia 3000 series cards you mention and the 6800XT would equal if not beat them completely.

Bang for the buck, using even one card and considering availability, the clear choice/winner is the RX 5700 XT. The other cards aren't even available and if you find one, it'll be at some ridiculous scalped price, 4 x MSRP or something. Most likely you'll find the RX 5700 XT more than meets your gaming needs for around $500 now.

The 6800XT is only worth it if you were planning on using the SAM/Raytracing that couples with the 5000 series CPU's. Going to a 5000 series CPU is doable on that board and than the 5600X is top dog for gaming. The 5900X is top dog for a dual purpose gaming/work PC, heavier towards work. The 5950X is definitely more work than play, but can do both well.

Monitor wise, I'm not sure if the Asus with G-Sync also has AMD FreeSync as well built in, some do. Again, you want matching technology there for best results. There's "Enhanced Sync" in the Adrenaline driver, but I'm not a fan of using it. With a 240Hz refresh rate, a RX 5700 XT or any of those other cards, you'll most likely never run into a tearing issue period, meaning the type of "sync" won't matter if you want to use those 2 displays. You also do not need 2 GPU's to run dual monitors, I think that might be a waste of money. For the cost of dual GPU's, you could wait for the 6800XT to become available at at least MSRP. I don't say to get the 6900XT as testing/reviews has shown it to be less desirable compared to the 6800XT. 

Another reason to get an AMD card is to take advantage of the PCIe 4.0 in games that support it in the future. Now the bandwidth is still hanging at the 3.0-3.1 spec, however doesn't hurt to have that memory bandwidth at the ready. Besides you have PCIe 4 M.2 SSD's in your build.

Touching on the motherboard, that one is fine. I'm a Gigabyte fan myself and would say something like the Aurous Elite or Master would be a better choice. With or without built in WiFi. I have a friend that worked for Asus and he would say that board is fine.

You have 2 RAM kits mentioned. I would caution to use only one matched kit (same brand) of either 32GB, 64GB, or 128GB if the board supports it. Going with a 2 x 16GB for 32GB, you could run 3600Mhz DDR4 easily. Getting into 4 x 16GB or 4 X anything staying at the 3200mhz is more compatible. 4 x 3600Mhz is doable, but can be a struggle to get right, usually with higher CAS latency needed, which may defeat the purpose. Perfectly honest, it's very hard to saturate a 16GB system if all you do is game or work at any given time. Now if you work and game at the same time, 32GB makes some sense, anything higher is a waste.

Power supply. Do not skimp here! Go with a good brand with a Gold/Platinum rating, modular is nice. For this build around a 750W-1000W is plenty. I use a Corsair RM 1000W Gold (old but very good) for lesser hardware. "Good" brands in my opinion are Corsair RMx, HM series, Super Flower, SeaSonic USA, low end EVGA makes some decent stuff.

At the end of the day, it all boils down to personal preference and compatibility. Hopefully I dissected this post into some useful info for you. Good Luck!

"It worked before you broke it!"

Same with GPU's, you can't run an AMD with an NVidia together on the same PC. 

Oh yes you can. 

I normally run with a Primary Nvidia GPU for gaming and reliability and a bunch of cheaper AMD GPUs connected to my PC for use in Blender and OpenCL Compute. 

At the moment I am running with all AMD RX5700XT primary replaced my normal RTX2080 OC card. 

Guess which configuration crashes?

0 Likes

RE: Go with an AMD RX 5700 XT.
I could not recommend that personally. 
They are still unstable with latest Adrenalin  2020 20.11.3  GPU Drivers from AMD.
The GPU has been stable for me from August until these November drivers. 
That is 3 months at most, and an  RX5700XT GPU was NOT fitted and used for thatentire 3 month period.  
There are only 2 AIB manufacturers I would even go near for a Navi 10 gpu. 
Sapphire and PowerColor. 
RX5700XT pricing is generally high at the moment, and there are no AMD Game Deals with them to compensate for the high original MSRP cost, let alone current pricing.  They do not support hardware based RayTracing.
Better to wait for the replacement.

0 Likes

RE:  I would recommend the very same cards. Meaning (hypothetically) "2 X Gigabyte Windforce RX 5700 XT" in Crossfire.

DX11 Crossfire is dead and unsupported by AMD on new games and will get no fixes for older DX11 games which break because oif any game updates.

Please do not tell anyone on this Forum to buy two RX5700XT or any other AMD GPU for DX11 Crossfire. 

DX12 MultiGPU with AMD cards is only supported on a handful of games, and the results are poor in about 50% of them. 

Adrenalin 2020 drivers are a total mess w.r.t. "CrossFire/MultiGPU" on top of that. 
I have a post about it.
I will provide a link next. 

Today, pretty much everyone would be better to buy a single higher performance GPU than MultiGPU. 

Only justifications I can see for fitting  more than one GPU off your PC are:
MultiGPU based rendering.
GPU based Compute.
GPU based Mining.
Running display from one GPU when you specifically do not want to load the other GPUs on your system which are used for Compute or Rendering or Mining.
You might need 2 GPUs for VR.

0 Likes

I said IF one wanted to do multiple GPU's to use the same brand. That applies to AMD anything where Crossfire, while not the best is what AMD uses. Of course today most will use a single, powerful GPU to do all tasks. For you to suggest an Nvidia product over AMD in THIS forum is wrong. That's advertising for AMD's competition and most definitely against forum rules. I'm not knocking Nvidia but I'm certainly not going to disrespect AMD by advertising for Nvidia on this forum.

0 Likes

RE: "For you to suggest an Nvidia product over AMD in THIS forum is wrong. That's advertising for AMD's competition and most definitely against forum rules. I'm not knocking Nvidia but I'm certainly not going to disrespect AMD by advertising for Nvidia on this forum."

I am not advertising for Nvidia. I am providing publically available benchmark data comparing the GPU the OP already owns to the AMD RX5700XT you recommend instead. 

You are just upset because you are talking nonsense advising people to buy 2 RX5700XT for Crossfire. 
You clearly do not know what you are talking about. 

The OP already has an  EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER FTW3 ULTRA GAMING.

0 Likes

I have had no problems at all running Nvidia Turing GPUs with AMD FreeSync Monitors. 
Turn on GSync Compatible in the Nvidia Driver. 
Ampere GPUs have this capability as well. 

Nvidia Ampere GPUs are PCIe 4. 

Nvidia have their own version of SAM and it is working on AMD and Intel motherboards already. 

0 Likes

RTX2070 Super is a better GPU than the RX5700XT. 
Value depends on pricing where you are. 
RX5700XT is slower at 1440p, no raytracing at all, no DLSS, No AI. 
Recent benchmarks here: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK_Ue4d9CpE

0 Likes

@colesdav While lacking Raytracing and slight better 4K, value is still with the RX 5700 XT. The slight performance in SOME titles, is hardly worth a nearly $200 difference: $500 vs. $700+. Besides, this is an AMD forum. We don't speak Nvidia! OP could wait for the 6800XT to be available and jump up to a 5600X to use SAM/Vulkan technology.

0 Likes

OP  already has an EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER FTW3 ULTRA GAMING.

RE: 
 $200 difference: $500 vs. $700+.

The pricing difference depends where you are and where you buy from. 

RE: Besides, this is an AMD forum. We don't speak Nvidia!

Don't be ridiculous. 
You sound like goodplay.
I guess you want me shot at dawn.

RE:  OP could wait for the 6800XT to be available and jump up to a 5600X to use SAM/Vulkan technology.
It will be a long wait. 
Nvidia have "SAM" now as well, FYI. It works with Intel CPUs as well as Zen3.

0 Likes
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Aside from @colesdav advertising for the competition, I did forget a point with drivers. The best driver in my case and most others is using the 20.8.3 over the November release. He is also correct and I should've emphasized better that most modern builds only use one powerful GPU. Crossfire is for DX11 and AMD hasn't gotten the "bugs" out of using multi-GPU's in DX12, which only a few games use anyway. Most do not need 2 GPU's, I was going by what you were asking as far as this build. The fact you wouldn't want to spend more than $300 on a board is revealing that you most likely wouldn't want a $700+ video card or 2 of them for that matter. @colesdav was taking my "hypothetical " a bit seriously, while it was more of showing how out of reach that is, as well as unrealistic. If you thought about using 2 GPU's, don't. Not in today's world with your config.

I feel it's personal preference in regards to getting the RX 5700 XT (using the 20.8.3 driver) vs. waiting for a $649 6800XT to come around, using that CPU. If you were using the 5600X-5950X I would be saying to wait for the 6800XT vs. the 6900XT. For a number of reasons I'm not going to elaborate why the 6800XT vs. the 6900XT other than those cards have Raytracing/Vulkan ability and use SAM and most gamers are choosing the 6800XT. 

@colesdav has experience using G-Sync/FreeSync monitors with AMD cards and claims they work identically. So that's the answer to the question of will a G-Sync monitor work with a FreeSync one. He claims to be able to use an Nvidia card with an AMD on the same board, at the same time. I would suspect that one needs to be disabled and only one card in use at a time but I suppose if the drivers don't conflict while running at the same time, go for it. To me the difference in GPU memory bandwidth, clock frequencies, a "Turing" card in PCIe 3.0 and an AMD in PCIe 4.0, etc., that doing so would be a conflict. 

0 Likes

RE: Aside from @colesdav advertising for the competition, 

You are a liar.
Time you apologised.

0 Likes

RE  colesdav has experience using G-Sync/FreeSync monitors with AMD cards and claims they work identically.

Yes, any FreeSync Monitor I have tried works fine with Nvidia Turing GSync Compatible turned on. 
Most FreeSync monitors should work fine on Turing/Ampere GPUs. 

RE: He claims to be able to use an Nvidia card with an AMD on the same board, at the same time.
No claim about it. I run many PC with primary Nvida and secondary AMD cards.

RE: I would suspect that one needs to be disabled and only one card in use at a time.
No. What would be the point of that? You can run a monitor from an Nvidia GPU at the same time as running another monitor from an AMD GPU. 

0 Likes

RE your little private message to me 
"Notified a moderator, time to stop. you're out of line.". 

You are out of line.

Don't message me again.

0 Likes