cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

BernieC
Adept I

My Radeon has disappeared

This is really bizarre -- I am running win10 on a dell desktop.  I have some radeon pro board but I can't find its number [5100 I think] because it has been *WIPED* from my system.   I got an update from Dell yesterady and it included an update for the on-board Intel graphics.  And I discovered tonight that it has *undone* my radeon board.  Now, as far as I remember I never did anything to "enable" the board -- I just plugged it in and it all magically worked.  Somehow the Dell driver update had "hidden" the radeon board and I don't know what to do.

I have on my system
              non-whql-radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-21.2.3-win10-64bit-feb22
As you can see, I just got it and installed it a little while ago -- would re-installing it likely bring my graphics board back to life?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Which "Radeon Card" is it?
Important to know.

Something similar happened to me last week. 

Nothing to do with Dell or intel drivers though. 

Secondary RX Vega 64 Liquid completely dissappeard from my system after updating Adrenalin 2020 21.2.3 to Adrenalin 2020 21.3.1. 

Use DDU to uninstall existing AMD GPU Drivers. 
Leave your Intel Drivers alone. Do NOT touch them using DDU. 

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/amd-driver-fix-and-install-using-ddu/m-p/426238

You can find the Driver for your GPU in AMD Drivers section of web page
https://www.amd.com/en/support
I would have thought you would want to install pro drivers on a pro card.

Maybe your Dell Machine needs to use specific drivers from the Dell website for that card though?

If that does not get your GPU back then perhaps the hardware has failed. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies

Which "Radeon Card" is it?
Important to know.

Something similar happened to me last week. 

Nothing to do with Dell or intel drivers though. 

Secondary RX Vega 64 Liquid completely dissappeard from my system after updating Adrenalin 2020 21.2.3 to Adrenalin 2020 21.3.1. 

Use DDU to uninstall existing AMD GPU Drivers. 
Leave your Intel Drivers alone. Do NOT touch them using DDU. 

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/amd-driver-fix-and-install-using-ddu/m-p/426238

You can find the Driver for your GPU in AMD Drivers section of web page
https://www.amd.com/en/support
I would have thought you would want to install pro drivers on a pro card.

Maybe your Dell Machine needs to use specific drivers from the Dell website for that card though?

If that does not get your GPU back then perhaps the hardware has failed. 

0 Likes

Thanks for the info!  How strange, though -- are there any conjectures as to why the drivers kinda "disappear"??

I don't think/hope I didn't mess up my drivers -- what I did this morning was reinstalled 2020-21.2.3 and rebooted my system. and it *seems* to be all OK now.  If that doesn't work, then I'll try DDU and reinstalling again.

Weird.,..

Followon driver question:   the drivers I just installed [a week or so back] was
     non-whql-radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-21.2.3-win10-64bit-feb22
I  I just went back to the driver-download page and the recommended driver for my card [pro wx5100] is

win10-radeon-pro-software-enterprise-20.q4-nov10I

I'm downloading that now.. should I DDU uninstall the drivers I have and replace it with 21.2.3?

0 Likes

I would run DDU but you should be able to use Factory RESET option first on the Pro Drivers. 
You should install the pro drivers if you need to use the card with any CAD software. 
If not and you jsut want to game using the GPU then the Gaming Drivers - Adrenalin 2020 20.3.1 may be better on your Pro GPU.  

0 Likes

In the recent case I can only blame myself for not following my own instructions I sent to you and running DDU first or at least turning on Factory Reset Option. 

AMD installer has had a history of messing up with incremental install over an existing installation for me since the introduction of AMD Crimson then Crimson ReLive then Adrenalin 2019 and still problems on Adrenalin 2020. 

There is a Factory RESET options in Adrenalin 2020 which I should have used at the very minimum to remove the old drivers first in Adrenalin 2020. 

Preventing Microsoft installing wrong/old drivers on the fly for AMD GPU during the start of the installation process if still connected to this internet is also a historic problem and nothing ever gets done to fix it. So I normally completely  disconnect from the internet to prevent that.  I think I may have forgotten to do that as well. 

So in conclusion I was in a hurry, took a chance to just run the new driver installer w/o using factory reset, and I think I was still connected to the internet. The install did not work and I ended up with a messed up driver install and a missing RX Vega 64 Liquid GPU . I thought I had just blown up a very expensive GPU. 

Thanks. 

0 Likes

This morning, first thing after my overnight backup, I got brave and did it:   I rebooted to safe mode and ran DDU to remove the non-pro drivers I  had.   after it rebooted I put it in safe mode again, but the radeon drivers said they couldn't install in that environment, so I rebooted normally, installed win10-radeon-pro-software-enterprise-20.q4-nov10, rebooted again and my system came right up with the radeon drivers in place.  YAY.  and thanks for all the help and advice!!

Thank you for letting me know that running the DDU install process worked. 
Please pick an answer and mark it as correct if your problem is now completely solved. 
Thanks. 

0 Likes

I thought I already had -- I 'accepted' your post from  yesterday outlining the DDU/reinstall procedure

0 Likes

0 Likes

Two questions:

is there some way that I can be automatically notified of these update?

Can I just load this on top of my current drivers, or should I go through the safe-ddu-install sequence?

Thanks!

0 Likes

In the new Adrenalin 2020 Style GUI/UI you do the following: 

Settings -> System ->

Preferred Software version 
You can select Recommended or Recommended and Optional. 

You can set Check for Updates to Automatic - you will get notification. 
Or you can leave it at manual in which case you can check when you want to.

The older Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 GU/UI also had similar options. 

You "Should be anble to just run the Full Installer with factory reset or try an incremenat install using check for updates. 

0 Likes

I must be missing something.   The "system" tab only allows me to "view" the various settings.  Here's the screen I get when I start the pro-settings program:

pro.PNG

These are the "preferences":

settings.PNG

and even running as admin, the 'system' tab on the main page only lets you view the settings.

0 Likes