cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

deathshadow
Adept I

More than angry, right out of the cart?

I've been stewing about this for a day now. Yesterday morning right at launch I actually managed to get a 6800 into the cart...

Then the site 503'd on the cart... refresh, 503. Refresh, 503... finally get to the bloody payment page, and the PP link didn't work. Check the networking tab of the browser tools, it's 503... after a few tries FINALLY get the PP to approve the auth, get to the shipping page... try to submit... 503. 503... FINALLY get to the confirm sale...

Out of stock. 

IT WAS IN MY FLIPPING CART, PAYMENT AUTHORIZED THROUGH PP, OUT OF STOCK ON SUBMIT. You know what, **** you!

Now, I'm a web developer by trade, that is almost as ****ing inept a train wreck of BULL as you can get. Literally snatched out of my damned cart!

So... guess I'm going to be staying with the GTX 1070 I got before the mining dirtbags screwed over prices for what, four more years? These paper launches and distribution woes are only further exacerbating an already intolerable year of hell. FFS when stores around the US had lines of 200+ people waiting and most places got 20-30 cards apiece? /FAIL/ at product manufacture and distribution.

What the **** is wrong with this industry?

34 Replies
deathshadow
Adept I

OH, also love how you have a shop with no sign of an official contact for if things go wrong, a "contact us" page that doesn't even provide the courtesy of a contact form, etc, etc. /FAIL/ at even the most basic aspects of sitebuilding too.

butchboy
Adept I

Exact same thing happened to me.  Got my hopes up, only to be dashed to the rocks.

0 Likes

You didn't specify which Retailer you put your GPU card in the Cart.

You need to take it up with the Retailer Customer Service. It isn't AMD's fault what the Retailer does or doesn't do with its website or merchandise it is selling.

From a previous Thread concerning the AMD Store, AMD doesn't sell the new GPU card directly from AMD. They refer you to various Retailers that will sell them.

0 Likes

Not true, there were buy direct links on the AMD site, and that's where a lot of these problems happened.  Stop trying to be an apologist for AMD...they screwed this up.

0 Likes

If you noticed "BUY DIRECT" directs you to a list of  all the Retailers that are selling the new GPU cards.

AMD doesn't have any control on what the Retailer's advertise or have in stock.

The only thing AMD does have control is supplying the Retailers with the new GPU cards.

Screenshot 2020-11-14 140516.png

Yes  I am being an apologist when you are falsely blaming AMD for a Retailer's issue that AMD has no control.

Not my experience...the direct link sent me to a "products in stock for purchase" page, and then clicking the 6800 XT link tried to put it in an AMD shopping cart.  Sure seems like they were selling them direct.

0 Likes

well, I just clicked on "BUY DIRECT" and then clicked on "AMAZON" and it went to the new GPU card which says it is Out-of -Stock.

Never took me to the AMD Store  where I can put it in AMD Store's Cart.

So unless AMD changed the format since you last clicked on "DIRECT BUY" I suggest you open a AMD Service Request (Official AMD SUPPORT) and let them know your experience from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes

Well it seems like AMD did change the AMD Store format due to the issues concerning the new GPU launch.

I suggest you open a AMD Service Request and see if they will honor your original Cart at the time AMD was selling directly from AMD Store.

I was just going by what my experience is clicking on "DIRECT BUY" at AMD Store.

0 Likes

@elstaci wrote:

I suggest you open a AMD Service Request and see if they will honor your original Cart at the time AMD was selling directly from AMD Store.

Which is where exactly? I couldn't find that. I couldn't find a contact form, I can't find any phone numbers, I can't find **bleep** on the steaming pile of web developer incompetence that is their website. That's why a day later I came here!

Ignorance, incompetence, and ineptitude at that, what with the classes on elements that shouldn't have classes like <link>, static style in the markup, gibberish to nonexistent document structure flipping the bird at alternative navigation, endless pointless classes for nothing, scripttardery flipping the bird at users with accessibility needs, (and probably part of why their shopping system went so easily bits-up face-down)...

Hence their vomiting up 161k of markup on the home page for 3.62k of plaintext and around two dozen content images, not even 24k's job. To go hand in hand with the ****wit 2.5 megabytes of CSS spread out over six files when no legitimate site warrants more than 48k in one or two files per media target, and the equally mentally enfeebled train wreck of 3.42 megabytes of scripttardery spread out over 46 files on a site that probably needs to be redone with 48k or less of scripting in one or two files.

THEN they probably sit around wondering why it went bits-up face-down yesterday.

... and that's before we talk the illegible thin glyph "narrow" fonts, pixel metric font declarations, and other such /fail/ at WCAG minimums.

Sorry, I'm a website accessibility and efficiency consultant... they get such a bad failing grade I'm shocked they've not been sued under the US ADA or UK EQA.

0 Likes

From my previous reply to you on this thread:

So unless AMD changed the format since you last clicked on "DIRECT BUY" I suggest you open a AMD Service Request (Official AMD SUPPORT) and let them know your experience from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes

"

well, I just clicked on "BUY DIRECT" and then clicked on "AMAZON" and it went to the new GPU card which says it is Out-of -Stock.

Never took me to the AMD Store  where I can put it in AMD Store's Cart."

It certainly did.  Yesterday morning, there was an additional link that said "Buy Direct" at which point your were directed to AMD's store where you could buy the cards directly from AMD.  As AMD's stock diminished, that link was eventually removed.

Now, stock isn't actually held when you add it to your cart, not until you complete the checkout process and get a confirmation.   Due to the high volume of traffic, you weren't able to submit until the the stock was gone.  Nothing was "stolen" from your cart as the cart doesn't actually reserve anything.

@ajlueke 

I was going by my experience today not yesterday. I had no way of knowing that AMD changed the AMD Store format.  AMD Store should have notified future buyers that they are not selling the GPU cards directly from AMD Store anymore until further notice.

"As AMD's stock diminished, that link was eventually removed." How do you know this was the reason for removing the new GPU from AMD Store. Is this what AMD told you or this is just your personal opinion?

AMD Store could have said it was back ordered and the Customer could reserve a new GPU once it is back in stock after purchasing the GPU card.

So whatever the reason(s) AMD Store stopped selling the new GPUs directly from AMD Store anyone who goes to the AMD Store now will be directed to a Retailer and not AMD to purchase the GPUs. Maybe in the future that may change again.

Yes I do agree just because it is in the CART doesn't guarantee you will be able to purchase the merchandise until you hit the icon to actually purchase the merchandise.

0 Likes

@elstaci wrote:

@ajlueke 

I was going by my experience today not yesterday. I had no way of knowing that AMD changed the AMD Store format.  AMD Store should have notified future buyers that they are not selling the GPU cards directly from AMD Store anymore until further notice.

So whatever the reason(s) AMD Store stopped selling the new GPUs directly from AMD Store anyone who goes to the AMD Store now will be directed to a Retailer and not AMD to purchase the GPUs. Maybe in the future that may change again.

Yes I do agree just because it is in the CART doesn't guarantee you will be able to purchase the merchandise until you hit the icon to actually purchase the merchandise.

What I do hold accountable is that knowing how many people want or at this point NEED a card due to unavailability of cards for months now, plus in hind site how bad the Nvidia launch has been perceived. 

AMD should have been crystal clear on how they were going to mitigate, regulate and conduct the sales they were handling themselves at least. And should have urged partners and retailers participating in sales to do the same. 

Instead it is apparent they learned and did virtually nothing to make it better. 

That being said I really doubt that card numbers were significantly different than in the past, it is just that demand is super high. Right now end users can't really expect AMD a company who manufacturing wise has the capacity to supply a very small share of the market share can possibly meet the demand that Nvidia also can't fill. 

That is a really tall task.

They can however do what they VIRTUALLY NEVER EVER, EVER DO, and that is communicate honestly with end users what is going on. It is a same old story with them. They bring the hate on themselves when a few correct words could help smooth a lot over with their base. Unfortunately in this case they even had the chance to win over a lot of people, not from the Red camp and lack of communication only may ruin that future sale for them. 

Unfortunately it is looking like every card coming off, either camps production lines is going to be bought up immediate. I wish retailers would adopt some new strategies. Like maybe allowing a few hundred people every couple weeks to at least pre pay to be in line to get the next stock that comes in. That would be a super way to make sure it is one per person and goes to more end users than scalpers. Although you will never stop the cheaters, AMD, Nvidia and retailers sure as heck CAN BE DOING MORE. 

" How do you know this was the reason for removing the new GPU from AMD Store. Is this what AMD told you or this is just your personal opinion?"

Oh, this was just inferred from the experience yesterday.  When I logged in around 9am and clicked the buy direct link, it took you to an AMD store page that showed not just the 6800 XT and 6800, but also Ryzen 5000 series CPUs that had come in.  The options in that page dwindle as various items sold out.  Once everything sold out, that page disappeared entirely.

@ajlueke,

Then in my opinion, AMD Store should have put up a warning to the Customer saying that they are Out-of-Stock and now must purchase from a Retailer when the Customer clicked on "Direct BUY" icon.

I can't be blamed for advice that may have been wrong "yesterday" but is correct today.  AMD Store changed the "DIRECT BUY" policies within a 24 hour period without notice.

So I do apologize to @deathshadow  but my advice as of today was correct and not misleading. If I would have given this same advice yesterday when the "DIRECT BUY" icon actually went to AMD website and not to a Retailers than I can be cussed out and insulted by the OP all he wants and I wouldn't disagree. 

But the OP later on did show me that the "DIRECT BUY" actually did go to a AMD Website for purchase. Something I wasn't aware of until now.

@elstaci wrote:

Then in my opinion, AMD Store should have put up a warning to the Customer saying that they are Out-of-Stock and now must purchase from a Retailer when the Customer clicked on "Direct BUY" icon.

That's the thing though, I made it far, FAR past that. Paypal authorized the payment! It got as far as getting to the point of "verify" for payment and shipping. 

Once you send off to payment processing, that *** should be reserved. Can you imagine how badly that could have gone bits-up face-down if PP didn't use the auth/approve model? Imagine that, hundreds or even thousands of payments actually made whilst out of stock.

It's infuriating to get to paypal's page, have the payment APPROVED, and then for the seller to back out. That's SLEAZY! That's the type of *** that would get you banned as a scammer on e-bay or amazon.

I'm half tempted to buck this whole mess -- both AMD and NVIDIA -- to some friends at the FTC.

0 Likes

You are right they really should have some type of time limit that reserves it for you in your cart until you finish the transaction. 

That being said because of how they handle it. There could have been 500 people too that legitimately had it in their cart too, before you and also got beat to the punch.

0 Likes

That does put a different view on your specific case.

I would definitely open an AMD Service Request to find out why your GPU card wasn't at least reserved since PayPal indicated that payment was accepted by AMD.

Upload an image of your PayPal account showing that the Date & payment was accepted by AMD when you open a AMD Service Request.

Possibly AMD does have a GPU card for you. Anyway maybe one of the Moderators can also inquire about your case or shed some light on AMD policies concerning the AMD Store, besides opening a AMD Service request.

Yes I would be upset also if I paid by PayPal and PayPal indicated that my payment went through and I didn't get what I paid for.

NOTE: That is one important fact you should have mentioned on your original Post.

0 Likes

@elstaci wrote:

I would definitely open an AMD Service Request to find out why your GPU card wasn't at least reserved since PayPal indicated that payment was accepted by AMD.

Which again as I asked in a previous post, is WHERE exactly in their **bleep**-show of a website? I came to these forums because I was unable to find ANYTHING that ACTUALLY would put me in contact with anyone regarding this on the site!

Really has all the telltales of being built by artists under the DELUSION they're "designers" and the types of marketing turds who always do more harm than good online, and seriously need to stick to print.

0 Likes

https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Click on the above link please.

0 Likes

@elstaci wrote:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Click on the above link please.

Where exactly was the link to that, it's sure as shine-ola not on the support page above it.

Though it appears that it's incompatible with Vivaldi and Chromium... likely due to the endless stream of scripting errors filling up the browser console. /FAIL/ on even making a basic form. I'll try it in FF.

Hell, if "red teams" web presence is this big of a ***-show, no wonder when it comes to actual software like drivers it's an equal mess. Starting to make me regret even CONSIDERING flipping sides. It's like Ryzen was the bait.

0 Likes

Try googling "AMD SERVICE REQUEST" and see if that helps.

0 Likes

Alright, I had to use Firefox, apparently they don't support chrome-likes? Wow... this is a bigger **bleep**-show than Biff Tannen's '48 Ford Super De Luxe.

0 Likes

Just for your information there is a "Contact Us" link at the AMD Store. It is at the very bottom in the black section. When you click on that it goes to another AMD page showing "Customer Support" which then goes to another webpage. It isn't a direct link to AMD Customer Service though.

But I did finally find this AMD Store HELP AMD Webpage: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/amdonlinestorefaq

Screenshot 2020-11-19 153139.png

0 Likes

The link to support as I have complained to AMD many times now and will mention mods again because of this, is so incredibly non intuitive to find that it is no wonder new comers to the AMD site, like you, can't find it. Instead what AMD makes easy to find is the forum that users also think AMD will answer them but in fact does rarely do, and that is community support meaning other users like you, in AMDS forum where AMD seldom participates. This forums recently changed and already a huge influx of the posts are once again thinking they are talking to actual AMD support in the forums, as nothing in the headers explain anymore the intent of these forums as being USER TO USER like our recent forums did and not actual AMD Support. It would be IMHO nice as well if the headers had a link as well to the actual support request page where AMD employees offer support. It would also be nice if AMD really did have more of its support personnel participate in THEIR OWN FORUM. They do participate way more on REDDIT but not in their own forum, go figure. Thank God for Matt, Ray, and FSADOUGH who will step in occasionally but 3 people from AMD is pretty slim occasional help for the amount of support that happens in these forums. 

The actual AMD support request page is buried 3 levels deep and not labeled intuitively like IMHO it should be with a big AMD SUPPORT link. If you ask me this should be front and center with a direct link at the top of the page on the main page and super easy to find.

From the bottom of the main page (or any page) click contact us. Then on the next page you have to click Technical and Warranty Help in the middle of the page. Then on the next page you have to click at the bottom of the page and on most mobile devices and desktop web browser has to be scrolled down to see at the bottom of the page and finally at the bottom of that in grey is the contact support link. 

I really wish AMD would look at this series of links from a new user perspective and realize it is made way more difficult than it should be to get to a support request. 

@Ray_AMD  @Matt_AMD @@fsadough 

"I can't be blamed for advice that may have been wrong "yesterday" but is correct today"

Of course, and no one is trying to imply that the advice was "bad".  It would have been impossible for you to know any of that information.  Just merely pointing out that the OPs experience was in fact correct.  

The cart not reserving stock was noticed by a few other individuals yesterday.  Even after the stock was gone, a few users still had the item in their AMD cart.  You could check out, authorize PayPal and get all the way to submitting the final order before it would say "out of stock"   

They were selling them directly, because I bought one, don't listen to what others are saying.

Thank you for ordering from AMD.com Online Store on 18 November 2020. The following email is a summary of your order. Please use this as your proof of purchase. If you paid by credit card, please look for DRI*AMD.COM STORE on your credit card billing statement.

Using Direct Buy didn't take me to another retailer.

0 Likes

Thanks Bizzle, I knew I wasn't going crazy.  :smileyhappy:

0 Likes

Maybe Direct buy works only in some regions, i'm from Italy and there is no such button on the website. Or maybe it'll appears when the GPU is available once again.

@elstaci wrote:

You didn't specify which Retailer you put your GPU card in the Cart.

It WAS AMD! They do have their own store, and it was listed as you WERE able to buy from them direct... along with 5000 series CPU's... now it's all gone. 

Hell, at the time the other stores didn't even have them listed yet!

See here:

https://www.amd.com/en/shop/us/Desktop%20Processors

Where many of them say "buy direct"? See how there's a shopping cart icon top left?

Click on the 3950X which for NOW seems to be in stock. Yeah, that. That's where I had one in my cart. Here on AMD's website. Hell, here's a screencap of the site with a product in the cart:

amdShop.png

I do agree that is really annoying. I know some retailers allocate the stock when you put it in your cart and for instance may give you 5 minutes to complete the purchase. Something like this to me is the best way to do transactions. Unfortunately most retails will let an unlimited amount of people put the same stock in their cart and it is a race to whom can checkout the fastest. Or the sites are so overwhelmed the sites can't work right. Unfortunately in the later case you can't really blame the sites. Nobody can help it if they are just overrun. 

I do though think that all these retailers need to find a way so that those that get it in their cart first have the opportunity to pay before some bot sneaks in a steals it from your cart. 

I am hoping that AMD like Nvidia does release how many actual cards were released so we can know by comparison to the past was it really a paper launch. Everybody feels that way about Nvidia but they really did release more cards than the prior couple generations at launch. Right now demand is just so darn high you can't even get last gen cards for the most part. 

Best Buy did a decent job with the NVidia cards that were dropped from the NVidia store.  Any addresses linked to multiple orders were invalidated.  Best Buy also gave precedence to orders from Elite and Elite Plus members.  I was able to secure a RTX 3000 series order back on October 9th through them.

I don't know if Best Buy actually sold the 6800 series at all yet. Either they sold out so fast it never showed in stock for most but even today the sited doesn't show sold out, it reads coming soon. So are they yet to get and release their initial stocks still?

0 Likes