cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

gcobarr
Adept I

MId 2012 Mac Pro with 30" Cinema HD Display / Radeon Pro WX 7100 = Cable Adapter Problem

To make my Apple mid 2012 Mac Pro Metal compliant I purchased a new Radeon Pro WX 7100 with Display Output Support (@ 60Hz):

4 @ 1920x1080

4 @ 3840x2160

2 @ 5120x2880

1 @ 7680x4320

I used the cable that came with the card, Display Port to DVI-D connectors to connect to the monitor.

Good news is that it worked, computer started up perfectly, in fact faster than the original AMD graphics card that came with the Mac Pro computer.

I opened the system prefs and I can see the Metal label under the System Report, signifying that I can now upgrade from High Sierra to Mojave and beyond.

Detail of System Report | Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily1 v3

The problem is that I am only getting 1200 by 800 resolution.

My monitor is an Apple 30" Cinema HD Display with the capability of 2560 by 1600 resolution, which was the resolution prior to this new card. According to the Radeon Pro WX 7100 specs, it should bring the resolution to at least the maximum of the 30" Cinema HD Display.

I believe the problem is the cable, that it is not providing the DVI-Dual Link ability. Whe I purchased the Radeon WX 7100 from B&H Photo it was suggested that I purchase a j5create Mini DisplayPort to 4K DisplayPort, HDMI & DVI-D Adapter.

The problem with this solution is that the adapter is a Mini-Display port connection, while the card has 4 full sized Display Ports.

It always seems to come down to two expensive devices on either side of an unwilling or incompatible adapter. Over the years, Apple's port churn has not helped. :-)

Can anyone suggest the proper adapter? I am so close, I havbe this great new graphics card and a beuatiful display but they are not talking to each other.

This link is from the Apple Forums, in it a gentlemen details part of the problem but not what device might solve it.

Mid 2012 Mac Pro & Metal Compliant Gr… - Apple Community 

Thank you.

PS I am new to the Radeon forums, if there is a better, more appropriate subject area, please let me know.

0 Likes
11 Replies

Found this Startech DP>DVI-D HD Adapter but it is expensive: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DisplayPort-DVI-Adapter-Dual-Link/dp/B00A493CNY/ref=psdc_3236443... 

StarTech.com DisplayPort to DVI Adapter – Dual-Link – Active DVI-D Adapter for Your Monitor / Display - USB Powered – 2560x1600 (DP2DVID2),Black

List Price: $164.99
Price:$115.90 & FREE Shipping. Details & FREE Returns
You Save:$49.09 (30%)
DUAL-LINK CONNECTIVITY: The dual-link adapter supports high resolution video (up to 2560x1600 at 60Hz), maintaining the outstanding graphical performance from a DisplayPort-equipped device. Operating Temperature - 0°C to 45°C (32°F to 113°F)
  • BROAD COMPATIBILITY: The DisplayPort to DVI (Dual-Link) adapter is for use with a DVI-D display, helping to eliminate the equipment costs of upgrading a DVI display for the sake of compatibility
  • PLUG AND PLAY INSTALLATION: For a hassle-free setup, this Display Port to DVI video adapter allows for plug-and-play installation without any additional software or drivers
  • IDEAL FOR TRAVEL: Powered by a USB port, this DVI adapter features a lightweight design that conveniently fits into your carrying case, making it ideal for professionals on the go
  • THE STARTECH.COM ADVANTAGE: StarTech.com offers a 3-year warranty and free lifetime technical support on this converter and has been the choice of IT professionals and businesses for over 30 years

This one is 50% less and seems to be the same type of adapter as Startech: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T16LLB8/ref=dp_cerb_3 

Club 3D CAC-1010 DisplayPort to DVI Dual-Link DVI-D Active Adapter for Your Monitor/Display - USB A Powered – 2560x1600 Resolution

Price:$48.36 & FREE Shipping
  • DisplayPort to DVI dual-link DVI-D active adapter for your monitor/ display.
  • Support DisplayPort 1. 2a Input and dual Link DVI-I or Single-Link DVI output.
  • Support resolution 2560 x 1600@60hz on the 30-inch Apple Cinema Display
  • Support Dual-Link DVI-D highest video resolution to WQXGA 2560 x 1600 @ 60Hz, Support Dual-Link DVI-D highest video resolution 3840*2160 @ 30Hz
  • The adapter requires USB power, please connect the attached USB cable to USB port for power, this adapter only submit digital signals, it does not submit analog signals, please use a DVI Dual link cable between the adapter and monitor, adapter is for single usage only.

Dear elstaci:

Thank you! The combination of the Apple forum information and your very direct help has been very helpful.

I'll come back, once it's all connected and working and leave a post for others.

Thanks again.

There are lots of cables for miniDP to DP out there. I have such a cable. There are also dongles to do the same.

You old Apple display is a real antique, you might want to consider a more modern 4K panel which will work better with the W7100 card.

0 Likes

Not sure when something officially becomes an antique, I tend to evaluate on power and ability.

Apple 30" Cinema HD displays are highly sought and their prices are going up.

Adapters are $50 to $150, I just have to find the right one, to replace this monitor, at equal size and resolution will cost about $1200 to $1600. No doubt I would get much more with a new monitor.

But being in the middle of a pandemic complicates matters and work on the horizon is now more iffy. I hope you can understand why I would make this effort.

Thanx

elstaci:

After much mucking about without success with the Club 3D adapter, here is an email from their support:

"We have experienced some users using the Apple Cinema displays compatibility with the Adapter due to the HDCP Non support on the Display. This adapter has been designed and sold with HDCP functionality support. 

It could be that the firmware on this adapter needs to be flashed to a NON HDCP function. Unfortunately this can only be done with a Windows based system.

You will need a Windows Based system with a free DP port you can connect the adapter to and connect the adapter to any DVI port monitor to flash this adapter.

Do you have this equipment?"

For someone with an Apple built display and computer, this is an interesting request and impossible to fulfill. 

To tell you the truth, this is the first time I hear that a cable adapter has a flash able firmware.

Don't you have a friend or family member with a windows Desktop or laptop?

Can't Manufacturer send you a replacement in exchange for one already flashed for non-support of HDCP?

I would mention to them that nowhere in the ad it mentions about the adapter being incompatible with your Monitor or that it needs to be flashed to make it compatible.

See if you can return the adapter and get your money back since the advertising specifically says it is compatible with your monitor if you can't find a laptop or desktop with Windows to flash the adapter's firmware.

Sorry to hear the problems you are having with your Monitor. 

elstaci:

This is not my first rodeo, when I purchased the Radeon Pro WX 7100 from B&H Photo I told the sales expert that I anticipated a physical connection problem. He suggested that I buy from them an adapter from j5Create but he was not paying much attention because that adapter only has a Mini DisplayPort, not the full sized DisplayPorts that are on the Radeon card.

So, I am a month into this and losing patience. I still have to face that if try the other suggestion that you made above, StarTech, that I may still have a powered USB-C problem.

Apple Forum:  Mid 2012 Mac Pro & Metal Compliant Graphics Card, resolution problems

Does AMD only have a support forum or do they have actual support?

Yes, You can open a AMD Service Request (Official AMD SUPPORT) from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

Good luck and take care.

elstaci

Wanted to come back and thank you for all your help which inevitably led to me giving up on this solution> It is clear that it is either very difficult or impossible to connect an Apple Cinema HD display to this Radeon Pro WX 7100 graphics card, installed in an older Mac Pro. To be clear, I've also realized that this is not unique to this card but more than likely would be a problem with any card.

As Grant pointed out in the Apple forum, these adapters simply have too much electronics in them to not be attached to something to feed them power. But if you not connecting to an Apple computer with USB-C, this becomes a seemingly insurmountable hurdle.

But it is relatively easy, ( relative being a state of mind ) to connect the 30" Cinema HD display to an Apple MacBook Pro...

Apple Forums: Grant Bennet-Alder and ScottCycle solution

iDB solution on YouTube

I don't think time will improve this situation. I am keeping the Cinema HD display and later when I move to my larger office, I'll set it up for MacBook Pro, this screen and the new screen are simply to big for my current desk.

So, instead or trying to continually beat my head against the wall trying to connect the Radeon card to my Cinema HD display, I simply bought a new monitor: Philips 43" 4K Ultra HD LCD display.

Not the original plan and a lot more money but I spent a month on this thanks to Apple's Support docs and their typically poor and incomplete information, they make absolutely no mention of the need for an adapter or the potential problems.

Thanks again.

0 Likes

GCOBARR,

I am sorry you couldn't get your Cinema HD Apple Monitor to work.

I hope you will get a refund for the adapter your purchased.

Maybe with the future new MacPro the Cinema monitor might work.

Possibly you can try to sell the Cinema HD monitor on Ebay or Amazon Market.

0 Likes

My DVI to HDMI archives 4K60 on my panel, but some might be a cheaper cable than what I have

I used that cable with my old GTX 260 SLI. and other cards of the era.

I even have a pair of GTX 690 cards which is even more hardcore.

I recall when digital was limited to some fuzzy low end panel. I tend to spend $$$ on uppity panels and the pull my hair out with the need to use dual cards to run it

0 Likes