cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Microsoft is having Activation Server issues right now (Windows 10 Pro not being recognized)

Today I found out that my Windows 10 Pro was deactivated. Ran the Activation Troubleshooter and it reported my Windows 10 Pro as Windows 10 Home and I need to purchase a Windows 10 Pro license to reactivate my Windows OS. Was unable to reactivate it through Microsoft Account. Restored computer to Nov 4 2018 and now it is again showing Windows 10 Pro activated. For how long I don't know until Microsoft fixes its Activation Server as per this article: Microsoft is having Activation Server issues right now - gHacks Tech News

Microsoft is having Activation Server issues right now

Reports are coming in from all over the Internet that Windows 10 licenses get revoked on some systems currently and that activation is not available either at the time of writing.

The most common issue that users and administrators experience right now is that the activation status of Windows 10 PCs is changed from activated to not activated. Some users reported that Windows 10 Pro product keys were suddenly turned into Windows 10 Home licenses.

windows activation issue

The notification reads:

We found a Windows 10 Home digital license for this device running Windows 10 Pro. To activate using this digital license, you need to install Windows 10 Home.

The message includes links to learn more about Windows Activation, open the Microsoft Store to purchase a genuine copy of Windows, or launch the "hardware change" process.

Attempts to activate the operating system again fail at the time. Reinstallation or the installation of backups don't fix the issue either.

Administrators who check the Event log will find Even ID 8198 listings:

EventID 8198:
License Activation (slui.exe) failed with the following error code: hr=0xC004C003

Microsoft Support published a statement on Microsoft Answers that confirms the issue.

Microsoft has just released an Emerging issue announcement about current activation issue related to Pro edition recently. This happens in Japan, Korea, American and many other countries.I am very sorry to inform you that there is a temporary issue with Microsoft's activation server at the moment and some customers might experience this issue where Windows is displayed as not activated.

Our engineers are working tirelessly to resolve this issue and it is expected to be corrected within one to two business days

Microsoft is aware of the issue and working on a fix to correct it. The company advises users to ignore activation messages for the time being. It is not necessary to do anything on the user side as the issue is server side only.

Microsoft stated that it will update the official thread on the Microsoft Answers forum when the issue is resolved. Windows 10 PCs should change the status to activated again once the issue is resolved and the notification that the license is for Windows 10 Home while Windows 10 Pro is installed should go away as well once the issue is resolved. (via Windows Latest and Born)

Summary

Article Name

Description

Reports are coming in from all over the Internet that Windows 10 licenses get revoked on some systems currently and that activation is not available either at the time of writing.

Author

Martin Brinkmann

Publisher

Ghacks Technology News

Logo

0 Likes
1 Solution

seems like Microsoft has fixed the Activation Server issue according to reports at Microsoft Forum. Many are now saying running the Activation Troubleshooter is now able to Re-Activate Windows 10 Pro again.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies

Welcome to Always On DRM, where our problems become your problem.

0 Likes

Thanks, I learned what Always On DRM means.

Unfortunately, Seems like most Major Software Companies now uses "Alway On DRM" to activate their software to prevent piracy.  Now most major software are connected to the software server to check to make sure the serial or Activation number is legitimate whenever you use the software.

Yep, when the Activation Servers has problems it automatically means We have problems as with Microsoft Activation Servers screwing some Windows 10 Pro Users with "deactivated" Windows OS.

0 Likes

It's the same problem I had when my first 1800X died, but they kept saying my Windows 10 license was an MSDN license even though it wasn't, it was my old Windows 8.1 key, and made me buy a new license...

0 Likes

That sucks.

0 Likes

Yes, it did. And yes, I blame AMD, as changing the failing CPU triggered a hardware change check, which triggered the invalidation.

0 Likes

ran across that on the Lenovo forum yesterday, posted it on my site with reference to the old post from the error code when 10240 came out back in the day

I suggest rebooting and see if the activation servers are able to check your licenses

I use Lenovo and all of them use Windows 10 pro as the machines al have TPM chips and other corporate hardware

'

0 Likes

seems like Microsoft has fixed the Activation Server issue according to reports at Microsoft Forum. Many are now saying running the Activation Troubleshooter is now able to Re-Activate Windows 10 Pro again.

0 Likes