Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

styletex1
Adept I

Low FPS with RX 7900 XT

Hello,

i just purchased a RX 7900 XT and when I play Riders Republic for example it stays under 60 FPS most of the time. It doesnt matter which Graphic Settings I use. (Low-High). I play on WQHD my display settings are on 144hz and I have no fps limiter. I have a MSI B450M Pro VDH Max Mainboard and I’ve heard that newer GPUs don’t have there full power with older Mainboards but not like this. Ive installed the latest driver from AMD Adrenalin. 

I want to upgrade the rest too but for now I started with the GPU. I have a Ryzen 5 3600 but with MSI Afterburner I only use about 50-60% of GPU and CPU.

In other games I can play with better settings and around 70-80 fps but with drops under 60. I hoped for more.

I don’t know if it’s normal with my GPU/CPU combo or if it should normally produce more fps. Maybe my CPU and Mainboard are too big of a bottleneck.

I dont know whats wrong but its very frustrating after spending this amount...

Ty for your Help.

0 Likes
6 Replies
mikenepa
Adept I

What resolution are you playing at?  Did you check to make sure that Windows-Update did not automatically overwrite your GPU drivers with Microsoft's generic AMD drivers?

Ryzen 2700X
Asus ROG Strix B450-i
32GB G.Skill Trident Memory
XFX Radeon 6700XT
1TB Samsung 970 EVO

Hi there,

I play on WQHD. I had a 2070 super before and there’s like no improvement now. I have downloaded the AMD Adrenalin app and installed the latest GPU driver. 

where can I check if windows overwrote my drivers ?

0 Likes
agoodnoodle
Adept I

go to windows settings, system, display, then advanced display, does it say 60hz? If so you need to select that and select 120, 144, etc. next check in game settings, and see if there's an FPS limiter set to 60. And like mikenepa said, make sure AMD's software is showing at least 23.9.3 or something close, it's okay if you are behind by a couple like 23.9.2 etc, but if windows installed a generic one then the AMD software usually shows that

Liquid cooled custom build by me/Win11Pro/7800X3D/7900XTX RedDevil OC LE/SamsungQN90C@144hz

Hi there,

my windows display settings are on 144hz and I have no FPS limit ingame. I have installed the latest driver. 
I now think maybe the game is a bit bugged because I had the same problem with my 2070. 
So I tried another game and there I could play with better settings like before and had around 70-80fps. I had moments where it dropped under 60.

I hoped for more with this upgrade but maybe my mainboard an CPU is too big of a bottleneck?

0 Likes

You do have an older gen cpu and mobo. However this is more of a feature difference then anything. Newer gen would support rebar etc, some of the newer tech that can improve performance. If you have the extra money I would suggest an X3D variant for gaming. Did you run something like DDU to get rid of the nvidia software before installing amd?

Liquid cooled custom build by me/Win11Pro/7800X3D/7900XTX RedDevil OC LE/SamsungQN90C@144hz
0 Likes
Earnhardt
Grandmaster

Information Required When Posting a Discussion

Please:

• Search the forums for existing discussions which may contain a solution to your issue before creating a new discussion.
  • Use a title that accurately summarizes your issue. Do not use titles like “Help Me” or “Driver issue”.
  • Post your discussion in the appropriate board for a faster and more helpful response.

When creating a new discussion, please provide as much detail as possible describing your issue, including the steps to reproduce the issue.

Below is an example of the essential information to provide when posting a new discussion.

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card Make & Model
    • Radeon VII
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • If a laptop, Make and Model of the Laptop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit 1909 Build
  • Driver version installed
    • Radeon Software Adrenaline 20.10.1
  • Display Make and model and connection/adapter in use, resolution, and refresh rate.
    • Samsung UE32850R 3840x2160 @60Hz Active DP to HDMI adapter
    • One line for each display device connected
  • CPU/APU Make and model number
    • Ryzen 5 5600X
  • Motherboard Make & Model + Bios Revision
    • Asus X570 Prime Pro BIOS 2802
  • Power Supply Unit Make & Model + Wattage
    • Seasonic Focus 750W Platinum
  • System Memory Make & Model + Frequency
    • GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz CL14 2x8GB

Describe your issue:

• Provide a detailed description of the issue you are experiencing, and the steps required to reproduce the issue.
  • Details about applications/games affected (including version number)
  • Graphical settings used in the application/game (resolution and 3D settings)
  • If possible, include a screenshot or video link of the issue
0 Likes