cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Leaving the forums.

Been a member for the last 13 years, and in that time having received, like several other top contributors and helpers, zero compensation or rewards for time spent helping people, but it seems the non-professional "official" support channels have moved to Reddit and other social media where AMD has an official presence, made ever more clear by more and more issues being cited as social media, especially Reddit, based, such as the Ryzen USB connectivity issue, instead of this community based, with the majority of people here having questions that a simple web search can answer, so I'm out. 

12 Replies

Because your help is free! Why should somebody pay you to help other people. This post is dumb!

RE: Why should somebody pay you to help other people. This post is dumb!

You are dumb if you work for AMD or anyone for free. 

Do you believe if you become active in Reddit  r/AMD you will be compensated also?

If so how?  I personally haven't heard of any Users being compensated for being active at Reddit. I might be wrong though.

Unless they sign some sort of contract with a specific Forum to get paid as a Independent Contractor.

Reddit does have, as far as I am aware, one AMD Employee that answers questions once in awhile. 

I not speaking for anyone here except myself in that I am active because it gives me a chance to troubleshoot and learn by doing web searches about new AMD or other hardware that are mentioned in these forums.

Plus it gives me a sense of satisfaction that I am doing something worthwhile and not for the money (compensation).

Plus learn from other Users, such as yourself and Kingfish and others, who are knowledgeable concerning certain issues.

You are correct that most thread's questions can be answered by a simple Web search but I have learned:

1- Many Users are inexperienced about computers and don't know how to properly do a Web Search to solve their problem.

2- Many Users are just plain lazy and don't want to put any effort in using a Web Search

3-  Many Users are not aware that they can solve their problems by doing a simple Web Search or don't think about it when they open a thread at AMD Forums.

I sorta felt you were unhappy about AMD from you last reply about AMD not supporting the X370 Motherboards.

Well I hope you decide to contribute in the future in a limited fashion at AMD Forums and that you are compensated for your contributions at another Forum.

Take care.

EDIT: Reddit is far more famous and  widespread than AMD Forums which is why you hear so much about that Forum in Social Media.

Reddit is a huge forum with a huge format covering every aspect of Social Media while AMD Forums is strictly for AMD Hardware or software issues.

Not sure what you meant when you stated this as a reason for leaving:

"but it seems the non-professional "official" support channels have moved to Reddit and other social media where AMD has an official presence"

0 Likes
bearcat22
Miniboss

Maybe it's time for you to take a break from AMD altogether? Watching it's slide in the last decade has been depressing for what was once a caring company. Sometimes a change is as good as a vacation. The only difference between these forums and Reddit is that Reddit has a bigger playground. Which means more people that can't do a web search.

RE:  Watching it's slide in the last decade has been depressing for what was once a caring company. 

The Desktop CPU from Ryzen 2000/3000 series were good versus Intel. 
I am not convinced at all about Ryzen 5000 series desktop CPUs.

The consumer Desktop GPUs are still a mess from what I see especially if you want to use them for anything more than Gaming. 
Compute performance is way down from Vega GPU and support for OpenCL and Blender is ?

0 Likes

The Blender BMW render took about 61 seconds with my Radeon VII.  It takes 37 seconds with my 6900 XT.

Navi is designed explicitly for gaming.  It's still a fast compute card as well, though.

I have no idea what you're going on about with not being convinced about Ryzen 5000, as they are the fastest processors on the market.

As for the general idea of compensation for a user-to-user support forum, it's absolutely ridiculous.  The entire concept is that you find help with problems, then share solutions to problems you know how to deal with.  I remember the OP from the early days of the AMD forums, and while he's mellowed quite a lot over the years, he was very abrasive and not particularly helpful in most exchanges.  I stopped using the forums myself for a while after they changed software, because it was unusable.  This new software isn't great, but it's better than the previous platform, which had a nasty habit of causing a huge memory leak that killed the browser.

0 Likes

Blender & AMD GPU compute is buggy as hell and way behind Nvidia. OpenCL support is practically dead.

RE: I have no idea what you're going on about with not being convinced about Ryzen 5000, as they are the fastest processors on the market.

Fastest to crash from what I see. Bad Motherboard BIOS/ Chips? Who knows. 
The Reviewers never seem to see any problems though, just like the GPU reviews. 

RE: As for the general idea of compensation for a user-to-user support forum, it's absolutely ridiculous.

It is ridiculous how bad BUG support is for AMD Consumer GPUs.
Just look at how long and what it took for AMD to even respond to Vega and RX5700XT blackscreening.
Older GPU and features get forgotten. 

There is no longer any acceptable way to report GPU BUGs
FYI there used to be some AMD technical support on this forum.
However because some people put in lots of time for free, that got dropped. 

Nvidia versus AMD Blender performance: 
https://techgage.com/article/blender-2-90-best-cpus-gpus-for-rendering-viewport/
Note the poor 5700XT performance, for example. 

0 Likes

The Ryzen 5000 series appeared to be faster in benchmarks. But that was using X570 mainboards that overclocked the AMD cpu's.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/311481-hwinfo-now-checks-if-your-amd-x570-motherboard-is-secre...

0 Likes

Ryzen 5000 processors are faster in nearly all benchmarks, without being overclocked.  That article is basically wrong.  The claim was investigated and found to be untrue in most cases, and irrelevant where it was marginally true.  And it's still not overclocking, just letting the CPU get more power with default frequency controls.

0 Likes

What cpu's are you comparing when you claim AMD are faster in most benchmarks? Comparing 2 similarly priced ones I found just the opposite The Intel 10900kf @ $449 Amazon .com compared to the Ryzen 7 5800X @ $449 Amazon.com

https://www.techspot.com/review/2134-amd-ryzen-5800x/

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-5800x-zen-3-review/4

Sorry to see you go. 

I pretty much gave up because the move to the new forum deleted and dropped many old posts and points including Red Team 3D Mark performance tables. 

I cannot post any pictures of new builds without deleting old ones. 

The Kudo system is a popularity contest, like Reddit.

Rabid fan boys are back after about 1.5 years of peace.
Reddit is worse though.

There is little or no real AMD Support on here. 
I cannot report GPU Driver Bugs any more anyhow without AMD Data Trawl.
MultiGPU support and setup in Adrenalin 2020 drivers is broken. 

I cannot seem to get hold of any new CPU or GPU AMD hardware that actually works or costs the MSRP. 
AMD have thrown in the towel w.r.t. GPU compute support.

I still log in from time to time to see what is going on. 

The Spam on this forum seems to be getting out of hand which is usually an indication that the Forum is low importance.

People spending their time on here supporting people for free will soon be replaced by AI anyhow.

0 Likes