cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

gc9
Adept III

Is "AMD OSX" infringing on the "AMD" trademark?

Just curious.  I recently came across a comment post from a year ago that claimed that

AMD has a portal and community exclusively dedicated to OS X, maybe put in a request over there perhaps — that's why it exists.

The linked sites have a footnote that says

AMD OS X is in no way affiliated with © Advanced Micro Devices Inc, © Apple Inc or any of their subsidiaries. All opinions and reviews are our own.

But the comment poster appears to think this is an AMD site, which makes me think that other people may so be confused.

"AMD" is a live registered trademark registered to Advanced Micro Devices

Owner(REGISTRANT) Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. CORPORATION DELAWARE 2485 Augustine Drive Santa Clara CALIFORNIA 95054

The trademark "Good and Services" does not include computer software or computer operating systems (or even computer components), but does include trade show paraphenalia such as clothing, t-shirts, pens, etc.

AMD OSX has started selling t-shirts this month (march 2020).

by: Shaneee -  Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:59 pm
Introducing the AMD OS X Store - https://merch.amd-osx.com/

Grab yourself some swag with the AMD OS X mark on it.

I thought it would be awesome to have some AMD OS X merchandise. Maybe in the future I'll get something better but this will suffice for now.

What I get in payment from items is not a lot but funds from items will go towards server cost, possibly increasing storage space and upgrading the forum solution. I plan on moving on from phpBB to XenForo or VBulletin.

Thanks,
~Shaneee

which currently redirects to https://www.designbyhumans.com/shop/AMDOSX/ 

pastedImage_4.png

I don't see any trademark disclaimers on these designs.

I'm am not a lawyer, I don't know trademark law, so I don't know if combining two trademarked terms "AMD" and "OS X" results in a new trademark or can be considered two infringements.

3 Replies

I agree I am sure the AMD legal team as well as Apples would want to know about this if they don't already.

ray_mamdmatt

0 Likes

I would add it is one thing to have a hack/workaround to get OS X running on an AMD machine. It is another to have T-Shirts for sale with the logo when it is not from AMD. 

0 Likes

pokester wrote:

I would add it is one thing to have a hack/workaround to get OS X running on an AMD machine. It is another to have T-Shirts for sale with the logo when it is not from AMD. 

I own a MacBook and OS X Catalina is the current operating system. Every fall a new name comes out usually with new Phones, laptops and other toys. Apple has their own fanboys.

0 Likes