cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

If you run uBlock Origin, use the Firefox version as it offers better protection

The latest version of the popular content blocker uBlock Origin comes with a new protective feature that is exclusive to the Firefox web browser.

The latest version of uBlock Origin for Firefox, version 1.25 or higher, will "CNAME-unlock network requests". Some sites may use a relatively new tracking technique that uses canonical names (CNAMEs) to bypass content filters and ad-blockers.

Basically, what the sites do is disguise an ad-tracking or serving domain by using a first-party domain, e.g. this.example.com. Content blockers have a hard time identifying these redirects, and most use a manual list of known domains. The problem with the manual approach is that it is very easy for sites to change the redirects or even use automated means to switch subdomains.

ublock origin firefox first-party blocking

The latest uBlock Origin version for Firefox looks up non-blocked resources to uncover first-party tracking and block these attempts. The resources are highlighted in blue in the uBlock Origin interface when all connections of the active site are displayed. The uncloaked sites are displayed in a smaller font size underneath the canonical names; these may be used to determine whether a resource should be blocked or allowed. Sites may use CNAME redirects for content delivery purposes.

The resources may be handled just like any other connection using the extension; you may allow some in case they are needed or keep blocking them.

Mozilla's Firefox web browser is the only browser with the required DNS API functionality to make these look-ups. Google Chrome and other Chromium-based browsers don't support this and uBlock Origin cannot look up the requests therefore in those browsers.

Firefox users who have uBlock Origin installed should receive the new version of the extension automatically if automatic extension updates is enabled in the browser. The extension may display a prompt to accept a new permission -- Access IP address and hostname information -- during the update process as it is required for the new functionality.

Additional information about the new feature is available on the project's official GitHub page.

Closing Words

The Firefox version of uBlock Origin is the only version that supports CNAME-uncloaking and thus an effective option to block first-party tracking attempts automatically and not based on manual lists. For now, the Firefox version of uBlock Origin is superior to all other versions of the extension. Whether that is enough for users to switch to Firefox remains to be seen.

If you run uBlock Origin, use the Firefox version as it offers better protection - gHacks Tech News 

18 Replies

A good place to post this reminder about Firefox. Starting 2 weeks ago they turned on the option, by default, to enable DNS over HTTPS using Cloudflare, so that gives them an additional leg up over Chrome.

I used to have installed Ad Blocking extensions in both Firefox and Chrome. But now many or most website contents won't run if you block ads.

For instance, I play a lot of games online, puzzles, crosswords, etc. Most of them won't start unless it is able to run its ads first.

Another instance, many News and Entertainment Media websites won't let you read their articles or view their webpage contents unless you unblock them from posting ads.

It became so annoying turning on and off my Ad Blocker extension i just deleted it. I kept seeing from websites, " We see you are using a Ad Blocker" then tells me I can't have access to the website unless I unblock the website from ads.

Will this Ad Blocker cause the same issues as other Ad Blockers? If not then I would install it.

0 Likes

You can select which blockers to use...and there is a whitelist to exclude websites:

Sounds like you need to do like me and use both Firefox and Chrome.

Firefox is for my daily driver, has both NoScript and, now, uBlock Origin (formerly ABP), and for certain sites, like TechRepublic, which will block you if you block their ads, blocking their domain in NoScript blocks that feature, though you also don't get images, not that big of a tradeoff. I used to use multiple Firefox profiles, but it's an annoyance to switch between them.

But for other sites which -require- the displaying of ads for the sites to work, and they are sites I know and trust not to be malicious, I use Chrome, which just has NoScript. I don't LIKE having to whitelist sites because there's always the chance the extension's coding will be updated in the future to block ads but not break sites, and because in a way it rewards them for using their own domain to host ads which can lead to breaches. I visit a gaming website like that, where ads show before or between games, and for a while it was broken, but ABP updated their filters to finally allow ad blocking but allow the games, something you wouldn't know if you whitelisted the site unless you removed that whitelist periodically. This also has the added advantage of not being able to tie you to all your Firefox sites. Plus, in theory, Chrome is more isolated than Firefox for security.

Then for sites which may be questionable but still have to run either ads or whitelist their domain in order for the site to work...I use Firefox with both uBO and NoScript inside an Ubuntu VM inside VBox with even its own internet adapter. Overkill yes, but you never know...

These are the three most important..IMO.

Unbreak allows sites that have ads blocked to open

Resource abuse prevents sites from using your computer as a miner

uBlock filters..all I use

I use Firefox and Opera.....

The only thing I don't like about uBO is that they don't try and change the ad market the way ABP does, they block everything. I don't have a problem with ads if they're unobtrusive and aren't Flash, Java, or HTML5 based, those aren't the ones that eat your data, popup in your way and can cause information breaches, they just generate revenue for the website. That's what ABP tries to do with their "Acceptable Ads" policy, though you can also block those if you want.  Overall though it's not a huge effect given how few people actually use ad blockers, and, of course, every mobile and Windows app shows unblockable and, in most cases, unclosable ads...

0 Likes

Add uBloc extension to Firefox. Lets see how most webpages reacts to this extension.

I did have Noscript installed but it was causing to many issues with certain websites so needed to uninstall that extension.

Went to USATODAY Puzzle page and the puzzles would't load with uBloc enabled. So clicked on uBloc icon and greenlighted a few sites with "+" signs on it. Finally puzzles started loading and then through process of elimination removed some greenlighted sites still with no ads or videos showing.

0 Likes

Me too! Opera and Firefox are my browsers. I ditched Chrome a long time ago. Opera is like the best of both worlds to me. Plus has free VPN that works great. I use HTTPS Everywhere extension in both browsers too. 

I ditched Chrome and Google...I use Duck Duck Go....

0 Likes

I'm up to $100 in Bing rewards though, and that's just what I've redeemed in cash (well, Amazon gift cards, same thing). Hard to pass that up.

0 Likes

I bet you got those rewards from playing Purble Place....:)

0 Likes

Nope, just daily searches, they add up.

Which tells you if they paid you that much they likely made 100x that selling your search history. 

0 Likes

I thought Microsoft already knew everything about me?

0 Likes

The NSA knows even more LOL!

0 Likes

Something tells me the stuff Amazon, Apple, and Google knows about you vastly exceeds everything any company or agency knows, aside from maybe Huawei...

Ublock Origin will even remember if you disable it by clicking the button on top. Makes white listing really simple. 

I detect all ad blocking now and if this keeps up I will go on a warpath against copyright infringers who will find out what I do for a living the hard way

I also block the brave brower who steals content, his name will be mud when I am done with him. He can pay $20,000 per web page on the entire internet for commercial infringement.

0 Likes