cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

haku100
Adept I

I've got countless AMD installs on my PC. Which and how to discard the useless ones. And big problem after update.

My Drivers Updater indicates I need to update my AMD drivers (quite necessary, see attached screenshot 1). When checking after installing the one mentioned by the updater for my Radeon HD 7560D (build 25.20.15031.9002), I saw there were still countless previous installations (see screenshot 2). This can't be very healthy, surely. Question: how can I uninstall the ones that aren't necessary any more (which ones?) The AMD utility to cleanup the mess deletes everything! So, how can my computer continue to function if there are no graphic drivers left?

Please enlighten me. This is indeed a bizarre situation. With the question: why can't an AMD update clean up after it's installed instead of leaving all that old junk behind?

Other BIG problem. After "successfully" updating the graphic driver(s), I can't get my normal resolution mode of 1920x1080 back! Display resolutions remain stuck in impossible modes (see Screenshot 3). Worse: even if it's found on the computer, no way to launch the AMD Control Centre (see Screenshot 4) - and then an error message says there is no AMD software installed!!!! (See Screenshot 5) What is going on?

I'm desperate.

0 Likes
11 Replies

You can and should delete all drivers in the C:/AMD folder. They are not necessary....and take up a lot of space.

Make sure that the new driver(s) did not set the computer display refresh rate to 59hz...instead of the correct 60hz.

For further questions, please supply https://community.amd.com/thread/196209 

haku100
Adept I

Many thanks, Kingfish!

Meanwhile, I reinstalled the drivers, as detected by the AMD utility, which finds and installs the relevant drivers. The utility detected a choice of 2: Adrenalin build 15.7.1 for win 10/64 and the latest Crimson 2019-04-22. Since that the last one played havoc with my screen resolution, I chose the first option, and everything went without a hitch this time (except it didn't restart the machine at the end, but simply shut down, heaven knows why - or maybe it wasn't supposed to restart, it didn't with previous updates)

As for your nice screenshot about screen refresh etc., with the new install, everything seemed okay, including 60 hrz.

Final question: when you say: delete all drivers, surely you don't mean even the current ones being used...

Everything seems to work fine, naw. Just one exception, which has been plaguing me since the calamitous 1903 Windows update: after loging in the screen remains black for about 10-15 seconds. Then things continue with no problem - except that the machine has become more sluggish after the update. Or rather, it takes far longer to stabilize disk, memory and CPU usage. Verily, Windows doesn't get any better with age...

My laptop, fully equipped with SSDs is super speedy. So I guess hard disks don't keep up very well with Windows "developments"...

Thanks again.

haku

0 Likes

Try disabling 'Fast Start'....that has cured many ills :

The Pros and Cons of Windows 10’s “Fast Startup” Mode 

Yes, as Kingfish mentioned, Delete the AMD Folder at the Root Directory C:\AMD. This folder is generated each time you downloaded and run the AMD Driver Package. I always delete my GPU driver package from the Root Directory each time after updating the GPU driver.

As for the other problems you are having it could be due to a corrupted AMD Driver installation from not deleting the C:\AMD folder before installing the current AMD Driver.

But most likely is probably you downloaded the wrong AMD Driver. The AMD Driver you need to download is the APU Driver you have installed in your Desktop and not the HD7560D driver.

These are the only 2 Desktop APUs I found with HD7560D Integrated Graphics: https://www.amd.com/en/support 

Both use the same Legacy AMD Drivers: https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd-series-processors/amd-a8-series-apu-for-desktops/a8-5500-rade... 

There are no other updated AMD drivers except those two for your Out dated APU.

I would use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) in Safe Mode with the internet disconnected to remove all traces of the AMD driver from your Desktop computer. After rebooting, Then with the internet still disconnected, and C:\AMD Folder deleted, run the new downloaded AMD Driver package and install it. Once it installs correctly, reconnect the Internet and again delete C:\AMD folder from the Root Directory.

See if you get your monitor's Native Resolutions again.

Hi both Kingfish and Elstaci,

So, now I've downloaded the DDU utility, and just want to make sure I understood everything, by asking a few questions.

1. Even when using the DDU in safe mode with the Internet diconnected (I propose to use Safe Mode without Internet connection), will such drastic elimination of all drivers not play havoc with whatever comes up on the screen? I've had quite a traumatic experience after installing Crimson 19.4.3, what with the display not able to find back its 1902x1820 mode - something that has been repaired meanwhile by reinstalling previous drive catalyst-15.7.1 following the procedure of the AMD utility "...catalist_minimal setup" (which by the way also offered an installation of Crimson 19.4.3, that I did not touch again, obviously). Therefore I take all precautions now. So, will everything remain stable up to the moment the "new" drivers have been installed - even when remaining in Safe Mode?

Actually, everything looks fine, now, except for one thing that has been plaguing me since the inception of calamitous Win 10 build 1903. In mean, just before the lock/login page, the display is black with not activity (no areo, no mouse pointer) for about 2-5 seconds. But after pincode login; again total blackness (but with mouse pointer active) for about 5 to 20 seconds (legth depends whether it's a fresh boot, of just a restart). Since long, I've tried to uncheck "Fast Startup" but this doesn't make any difference.

I guess that's indeed a driver's mixup problem, and we'll see what happens when I reinstall the whole driver's caboodle following your instructions.

2. Will the drastic DDU cleanup not eliminate the Catalyst Control Centre? It's of course under a completely different folder unde Program Files (x86), but I better make sure again.

3. You mention TWO packages in your example: Catalyst Software Suite 15.7.1 AND Radeon Crimson Software Edition 16.2.1. But you suggest installing ONE package... Which one should I install? Or should I install both?

I know, it sounds a bit primitive from my side, but I've never had to renew display drivers. Anyway, a great many thanks for your invaluable help.

Will start to do the repairs on Monday. Weekends are reserved for my family.

Best regards.

haku

0 Likes

Hi Elstaci!

I've now downloaded both "possible" Driver Packages with my actual system (Catalyst Software Suite 15.7.1 AND Radeon Crimson Software Edition 16.2.1.) So, let me ask my last question again: which one of the two should I install?

Even as important: how do I install the proper Driver(s)? Just by double clicking on the package? Or use the AMD utility "...catalist_minimal setup", which finds what's needed, then automatically installs (see my previous message)?

Please enlighten me a bit further...

Thanks,

Best regards,

H

0 Likes
haku100
Adept I

Hi again,

Since no answer has been forthcoming to my messages asking for some clarification, I tried the procedure without hat asked-for handholding... and it's been and still is a catastrophy. I followed every instruction to the letter, after of course saving a restore point via my otherwise reliable Rollback utility - and this happened:

- DDU seemed to do its work, although it contained an alarming options wanrning that deleting the AMD folder was not recommended. I checked this anyway, since you both recommended deleting that folder.

- So far, so good. As recommended by the DDU utility, the machine restarted but instead of remaining in Safe Mode, returned to Normal Mode but with a totally wrong resolution!

- I restarted in Safe Mode to install one of the driver's packages. Then things started to go really wrong. During the installation, I got three messages saying that the installation encountered a "Driver Detection Error" (whatever that means), and the whole procedure ended with "Application Install Failure".

- And of course, after a restart, total chaos with the display resolution (even if the Windows default drivers had apparently been installed - which is the default position anyway of the DDU procedure)

- So, I immediately did a Rollback and things seemed to return to the previous situation, except that communication with my external hard drive had been lost!!!! Now, I am not exactly a computer moron, and after some examination of the Device Manager, and seeing that the external HD no longer figured on the disk drives list, I unplugged it, then plugged it in again, and there it reappeared. So, eithe the DDU (likely) and/or the AMD installer (most unlikely) had simply thrashed that part of the system. At which I am not particularly amused.

- To add insult to injury, one and/or the other had also deleted devmgr.xml, and I am now in the process of doing a thorough scannow, to clean up the mess.

- Pending that last check, which probably involves reinstalling devmgt.dll, I have now completely returned to the previous situation. Result: 4 hours of my life lost. As said: not amusing...

I've decided to leave well enough alone. Need to do some real work, too.

Best,

hk

0 Likes

The reason why it rebooted into a different resolution in the normal Desktop is because the AMD Driver was deleted or removed thus Windows was using MS BASIC GRAPHIC ADAPTER. You can change the MS BASIC Resolution to a higher resolution under Windows 10 Settings "Display". 

You can check this yourself. Open DEVICE MANAGER and under "DISPLAY ADAPTERS" you will see MS BASIC GRAPHIC ADAPTER and not your AMD APU Integrated Graphics.

Now with the internet still disconnected, click on the downloaded AMD Package (WHQL - 2015 or BETA 2016) and let it run its installation program all by itself.

Once it finishes installing and everything is working correctly, your can reconnect the Internet and delete C:\AMD Folder to save Hard Drive space.

The WHQL is Windows Tested by Microsoft to work with Windows while the BETA hasn't. But the BETA was the AMD Driver Format (Crimson) used by AMD to replace the old  AMD Driver Format of the WHQL AMD Drive Catalyst.

So can run DDU in Safe mode again and once it reboots, open Device Manager to double check you are on the MS Basic Adapter.

Then run the AMD Driver Package of your choosing to install the AMD Driver.

haku100
Adept I

Hi again,

Quite willing of course to give it another try.

But, as said, the first time around went disastrously wrong.

So, here are some questions again to make absolutely sure.

- Deep uninstalling the whole AMSD caboodle via the DDU utility in Safe Mode with no connection presents no problem.

- And you just gave a sensible answer about the "intermediate" resolution (between the deep uninstalling and the coming reinstalling of the driver) a convincing explanation. So no future panic there.

- However, when you talk about reinstalling the driver, I would opt for the secure WHQL 2015 package (<amd-catalyst-15.7.1-win10-64bit> above the 2016 Crimson "beta" package - both have been downloaded). Is that right, too?

- Now, there are 2 options for installing. Either install the chosen package directly OR use the AMD Auto-Detect and Install utility. What is the best procedure there?

- Finally, in the copious AMD instruction pages, I have read that several elements must be temporarily closed and/or disabled before attempting the driver install. So, I suppose it is wise to use Safe Mode with no connection again here. Is that correct? The first time around I did this, to bad effect. But maybe this time I'll be more lucky.

Still, why did one of the procedures thrash the device manager devmgt.dll / xlm that first time around. Thuis seems so unrelated to the matter at hand that it looks like a bug...

Please try to enlighten me again.

Thanks again for your time,

HK

0 Likes

haku100 wrote:

- Deep uninstalling the whole AMSD caboodle via the DDU utility in Safe Mode with no connection presents no problem.

No, In fact, DDU requires you to have the Internet disconnected to use its software. The reason why is because with the Internet connected Windows will try to download and install possibly a different AMD Driver than the one you are installing.

haku100 wrote:

- However, when you talk about reinstalling the driver, I would opt for the secure WHQL 2015 package (<amd-catalyst-15.7.1-win10-64bit> above the 2016 Crimson "beta" package - both have been downloaded). Is that right, too?

You may want to install first the WHQL Driver, which is older but verified to be compatible with Windows by Microsoft. Afterwards, you can always install the newer BETA and see if it works better or not.  But if the WHQL Driver works fine to your satisfaction then keep that driver installed.

- Now, there are 2 options for installing. Either install the chosen package directly OR use the AMD Auto-Detect and Install utility. What is the best procedure there?

I would suggest to download the full AMD Package from AMD Download page rather than use the Auto-Detect and install utility.

haku100 wrote:

- Finally, in the copious AMD instruction pages, I have read that several elements must be temporarily closed and/or disabled before attempting the driver install. So, I suppose it is wise to use Safe Mode with no connection again here. Is that correct? The first time around I did this, to bad effect. But maybe this time I'll be more lucky.

I am not sure, but I don't believe you can run the AMD Driver Package in Safe Mode. 

Sometimes Anti-Virus software will cause issues with the AMD Driver Package installation and may need to be disabled first.  After you install the AMD Package, reconnect the Internet and enable your Anti-Virus program if you disabled it.

0 Likes

Thanks to all for your time!

H

0 Likes