cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

thenedoow
Journeyman III

i have a dell mobo and would like to upgrade to the amd 8350 fx cpu i have

its a dell gjjt a00 mother board is there any bios's that i can update to that could support the amd fx 8350 black edition or is a mobo upgrade the only optoin, i think i found my answer with a mobo list i found but it would be nice to know if there is a chance

0 Likes
3 Replies

Difficult finding your Dell Motherboard. but this seems to be the one you have which is a AM3 Socket Motherboard: Inspiron 570, exact motherboard name or specifications - Dell Community .

Copied from above link:

speedstep
Diamond
Re: Exact Motherboard Name or Specs in Inspiron 570

The Exact name is DPN 4GJJT

AMD 785 AM3 motherboard.

• DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V • 256Meg x 64 •
  • Max Ram is 8 gigs

Edit: according to Wikipedia an AM3+ Processor may work on a AM3 motherboard with an updated BIOS. Socket AM3+ - Wikipedia .

Copied from Wikipedia:

Some manufacturers have brought AM3+ support to some of their AM3 motherboards via a simple BIOS upgrade.[4]Mechanical compatibility has been confirmed and it is possible for AM3+ CPUs to fit in AM3 boards, provided they can supply enough peak current. Another issue is the use of the sideband temperature sensor interface for reading the temperature from the CPU. Therefore, some CPU PWM fan headers may only run at full speed. Also, certain power-saving features may not work, due to lack of support for rapid VCore switching.[5]

While AM3+ CPUs are technically pin-compatible with AM2 or AM2+ boards, they cannot work with them due to the lack of a DDR2 controller on the CPU.

So basically you need to contact DELL SUPPORT and find out if your motherboard will support the FX 8350 and if they have a BIOS update. If you Motherboard became End Of Line before the AM3+ came out most likely there wouldn't be a BIOS update for AM3+ Processors. Reason why I mention that is because my Asus Motherboard is considered to be EOL thus Asus will not have any more BIOS updates for it. Dell may have the same or similar policy.

ok thats what i thought i had to do too, thank you for confirming i think i found an upgrade Support for Inspiron 570 | Drivers & downloads | Dell US on here and i know i have to flash it to the bios during boot up is there any one that can tell me if its the right version for the bios i need, at this point im just looking for a little confermation that it could work and im not just gonna waste time if not no worries and thank you to every one that has helped.

0 Likes

Dell doesn't show a Compatibility chart for the different CPU and the corresponding BIOS version to use. but found this Comprehensive Specific PDF that shows what CPU it supports: https://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/Common/inspiron-560_user%27s%20guide_en-us.pdf .

It doesn't show any AM3+ CPUs. Best bet is to contact DELL SUPPORT and asked them if the last BIOS Update will support the FX 8350.

Click on the Inspiron 570 Manual PDF at the link you posted. It will show you how to update the BIOS and other information.

I think it would be better just to upgrade the Dell Motherboard to one that supports AM3+ Cpus.

0 Likes