cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

bents1
Journeyman III

How would you react if Zen 5 prices are higher than the Zen 4 release prices?

Zen 3 to Zen 2 was huge uplift in performance, but 5800X/5600X costed 100$ more than their Zen 2 counterparts on release. Leakers expect another huge uplift with the Zen 5, but what if AMD raises prices again by another 50-100$?

0 Likes
1 Reply
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

That is a very hard and ambiguous question but I'll try it anyway.

First, its not expectable to get year after year performance bumps with price cuts, eventually you would get a near zero price.

Some releases will have price cuts, same or price bumps, however, in the long run, price will always rise. Inflation.

A flagship phone or graphics card launch price is not the same today as in 8 years ago.

My Xperia XZ2 was expensive, costing around 700ish, but comparing it with today Xperia 1 V at 1200ish it almost doubled in 5 years.

This time around, iPhone 15 will also see a 100ish or more price bump on the flagship phone.

Lets get back to AMD. This year the highest of graphics card models saw a "keep the same price", 7900XTX against 6900XT. However, the 7900XTX is not going against the 4090 like the 6900XT was tackling the 3090. Is the value there? Of course it is, price bump and same price is a sweet move for consumers in general, even if nvidia enjoys the halo positioning with a massive price bump.

Kidneys sold aside, the 4090 still got better sales with that kind of price than a 4070 or 4080.

See? This is a bloody mess and hard to answer.

How would I react? The same way I react when its time to put some petrol in my old car, Dang... Another bump in price...

The Englishman
0 Likes