cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

bhavpreet2000
Journeyman III

How to find the correct driver for my HP Laptop?

hello AMD COMMUNITY please help me.i have buyed a old laptop of HP brand about 5 months ago my problem is that i think my laptop has switchable graphics which is intel hd 3000 graphics and AMD RADEON. i could not tell out which driver or which suitable amd graphics are there on my laptop.i have used the AMD autodetect tool but the program did'nt work for me .for the past 5 months i don't know that i have AMD RADEON graphics as well.please can you please help me in finding my right and suitable AMD RADEON graphics version.MY WHOLE LAPTOP SPECIFICATIONS:- MY PRODUCT- Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC BIOS VERSION- InsydeH2O Version 03.72.32F.27 OPERATING SYSTEM- Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) PROCESSOR- Intel® Core™ i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz MEMORY- 8GB RAM MY CURRENT DISPLAY ADAPTER- INTEL HD GRAPHICS 3000 PLEASE HELP ME FIND MY RIGHT AMD RADEON GRAPHICS PLEASE

1 Solution

Enter your HP Laptop Serial number here: Official HP® Laptop Drivers and Software Download 

Found this one HP Pavilion g6-1156ee with AMD GPU but as mentioned before there probably are many models of g6. But once you enter your Laptop Serial Number at the above link and click on the correct Windows you have installed it will show you all the driver you can download for your laptop.

This is just an EXAMPLE: HP Pavilion g6-1156ee Notebook PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support 

I found one g6 model at C/NET that showed it had no AMD GPU installed just Intel. So don't go by the above example. just input your laptop's Serial Number in the link that I posted.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Go to HP Support and input your Laptop Serial Number. It will take you to your laptop's download page where you can download HP Intel & AMD Graphic driver for your laptop.

leyvin
Miniboss

Unfortunately that is a VERY old Laptop., meaning assuming it does have a Dedicated AMD Graphics Card... it will be the HD Mobile 6K/7K/8K-Series.

These are all Terascale 3 (DirectX 10.1) Hardware., and you will need to get a Vendor Driver as the AMD Legacy Driver is unlikely to work as the OEM HD (Mobile) Graphics from AMD tend to be Semi-Custom that aren't compatible with the Desktop Drivers.

This has changed today... any Laptop with Vega Graphics or Mobile RX 400/500/5000-Series will work with the AMD Drivers, and most A-Series APU with R7 or R9 Graphics should as well now.

But Pre-GCN Architecture you HAVE to get from the Hardware Manufacturer Website.

If I'm being honest here., neither Intel Iris HD 3000 or Radeon HD 6000/7000 Mobile Graphics are going to be overly compatible with a particularly wide array of Modern Titles; and their performance probably wont be great at 720p with Lowest Graphics Settings.

This is of course assuming it does have AMD Graphics., it actually might not. 

HP Pavilion G-Series Laptops (which are more-or-less discontinued in favour of Elite/Envy/Spectre, the later of which replaced them) had a wide array of Specifications. 

And very few of them had Dual Graphics., especially ATI/AMD Graphics. 

You might want to look into reselling and getting something a bit more modern. 

At least that'd be my advice. 

Enter your HP Laptop Serial number here: Official HP® Laptop Drivers and Software Download 

Found this one HP Pavilion g6-1156ee with AMD GPU but as mentioned before there probably are many models of g6. But once you enter your Laptop Serial Number at the above link and click on the correct Windows you have installed it will show you all the driver you can download for your laptop.

This is just an EXAMPLE: HP Pavilion g6-1156ee Notebook PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support 

I found one g6 model at C/NET that showed it had no AMD GPU installed just Intel. So don't go by the above example. just input your laptop's Serial Number in the link that I posted.

albertjohnsmith
Journeyman III

I have no idea about these but I will try my best. Please tell me more about this part.

0 Likes

OEM driver trumps all other drivers.  Even a new laptop will tell you to use their drivers instead of the manufacturers drivers.  I have a 1 year old HP Omen laptop with a 5800h & rtx 3060 discrete gpu and HP allows it to use the current Intel, Nvidia and AMD drivers for the onboard devices.

All manufacturers have support cutoff dates for hardware and if its too old you will have to use the manufacturers last driver for it.  If you want to use a current driver buy a new laptop.

0 Likes