Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Sandhir
Adept I

Help please! My new PC is very unstable

I recently built a PC for general home use with these specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 4-Core 3.7 GHz (4.2 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 65W YD3400C5FHBOX

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16

Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC Mini ITX AM4

Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe 1.3 V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7E500BW

My problem is that even though the PC works nice and quick, it's very unstable. I get multiple BSOD for different causes each time, and the occasional green screen. It doesn't matter what I'm doing - sometimes it'll even restart when I've left it unattended with no applications running.

I've updated all the drivers, and updated the BIOS to the latest version, and even resinstalled Windows, but it's still unstable. I don't know what else to do. Anybody also have this problem and is there any way to fix it?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Did you check some setting in BIOS? If yes, reset bios to defaults. If not or it didn't help remove RAM, put it again (2nd and 4th bank). Check if PC is stable. No matter what (so if it stable or not) turn on XMP. Check if it stable. If yes, good, if not turn off XMP, remove RAM and put one stick of ram in (in case you have 4 banks put it in the 2nd). Test your PC, If it still sucks remove stick of RAM you have installed and put 2nd one and test your PC. If it runs ok you have one RAM module to RMA. In case 1st one worked put 2nd stick in 4th bank. If it runs ok turn on XMP.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
korinogaro
Adept III

Do you have OC on anything? RAM, CPU? DO you have XMP profile on in Bios? Try to set RAM speed to 3500. Do you have GPU in your system?

0 Likes

Hi. I’m not over clocking. The RAM is running at 2133 MHz and XMP is off in the BIOS. I’m not using a separate graphics card - using the onboard graphics on the CPU

0 Likes

Did you check some setting in BIOS? If yes, reset bios to defaults. If not or it didn't help remove RAM, put it again (2nd and 4th bank). Check if PC is stable. No matter what (so if it stable or not) turn on XMP. Check if it stable. If yes, good, if not turn off XMP, remove RAM and put one stick of ram in (in case you have 4 banks put it in the 2nd). Test your PC, If it still sucks remove stick of RAM you have installed and put 2nd one and test your PC. If it runs ok you have one RAM module to RMA. In case 1st one worked put 2nd stick in 4th bank. If it runs ok turn on XMP.

0 Likes

*change settings in BIOS.

0 Likes

Thanks for your help. I enabled XMP in my BIOS and with my RAM running at 3200 MHz, the PC has been ultra-stable.

0 Likes

Oh, and download and install something monitoring CPU temperatures like speedfan or some hardware monitor. It can be that you didn't apply thermal paste correctly and CPU is spiking in temp. and crashing.

0 Likes

Thanks I’ll try that

0 Likes