Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Sharita92
Journeyman III

HELP! I really don't know what to do - 6800xt crashing games to desktop

Hello,

I really don't know what to do anymore. My system is crashing to desktop while gaming. Everything else works fine.

I did 8 clean installs. SSD's formatted with diskpart, disk clean, etc.

And i even got this, after a clean install?!: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

I also post this on a reddit forum: https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/njbcci/6800xt_crashing_games_to_desktop/ 

Hi, since I installed my new gpu I have nothing but problems with games crashing to desktop. There is no error as far as I can see, the game just closes. I've tried running prime95 and heaven at the same time to stress test and that works fine. I'm at a loss and don't know anymore where to start looking. Since I installed the GPU I got gamecrashes in different kind of games:

• Runescape.

• The Division 2.

• Assasins Creed Oddysey.

• Valheim.

The games crash between 3 - 50 minutes of playtime. Freeze and sends me to desktop.

My system:

• AMD Ryzen 5 3600 processor.

• Gigabyte Aorus P850W 80+ GOLD.

• G. Skill DDR4 Ripjaws-V 4x8GB 3200Mhz F4 3200C16D-16GVKB.

• NZXT Kraken X73 RGB

• Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO.

• AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT Midnight black.

Software:

• Windows 10 Home - 21H1.

• 64 bits.

• Up-to-date windows.

• Build of operating system: 19043.985. Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0.

• AMD Software 21.4.1. From AMD website.

• BIOS 2021/03/20 3401. From Asus website.

• AMD Chipset Software 2021/02/02 2.11.26.106 (from asus Website).

The things I tried and didn't work:

• Clean windows install.

• DDU all the drivers in safe mode. Reinstall all drivers.

• Deinstall and reinstall all chipset drivers.

• Resetted the mobo settings for the RAM to auto.

• Pulled out two new RAM, tried with only 2 sticks. Mobo settings for the ram to auto.

• Changed the gamesettings for the specific games (compatability, etc).

And some extra: 

- RAM frequency in Bios on 2133hz. Same error. Tried it also with one stick.

- MEM tests all pass.

- Switched graphics cards: nvidia 3070. 

Please help... I'm getting sad and frustrated. In particular cause the system has to be a beast!

0 Likes
3 Replies
Frezzad
Adept I

Seems you have tried must of the troubleshooting things to do.

I dont have the 6800 xt but I have had a similar experiance when trying to give the card less voltage then needed.

So that might be a thing for you to try if you havent already done that.  

Try set the maximum MHZ to a lower value (maybe -200 MHZ) but keep the voltage. and then maybe go from there till you found a sweetspot for your system.  

0 Likes

So, brought my stysm to the pc dokter. They say all the hardware works, so it has to work, but if isnt.

Googled specific on problems after a biosupdate with newer gpu's on gigabyte and Asus x570 mobos. Well, more people are having Trouble with it.

My problems started after bios update, chipset update and latest gpu drivers. Tried two gpu cards. The AMD Radeon rx 6800xt and the Nvidia GeForce rtx 3070.

Same problems. The rtx 3070 works fine on my boyfriends Asus b550 mobo.

So.... People on internet tried to downgrade their bios and drivers. And it worked. Gave the pc dokter a tip. Hopefully that is the problem.

0 Likes

After trying almost everything, the CPU was left.

Bought a new AMD Ryzen 7 5600X. And it works. Meaning my AM Ryzen 5 3600 is defect. I will RMA it.

0 Likes