cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

nuriyokan
Adept I

Hello I have some questions about the RX 580 SAPPHIRE NITRO+ special edition 8gb GDDR5 GPU.

To keep confusion at a minimum : I would like to fully explain my situation , and set up so that the readers can get a full understanding of my questions at hand. I'm an artist and a gamer who used to have a tv as a monitor. I've since learned that playing fighting games on a monitor is much better because tv's have lag and delay. So Just 3 months ago I purchased a $300 Graphics IPS Pen Display to do my digital art on. I can also use this monitor as my primary gaming monitor because it two in one . I love it and its great . Now , I have both my old flat screen Tv, and my new Graphics IPS Pen Display in the same room. My Pen Display is my primary monitor and I've made my old flat screen tv my 2nd monitor. 

I can use both monitors at the same time by using the command in windows : Win + P for the project screen that allows me to duplicate my pen display or chose one display vs another. So in conclusion, I have a two display set up with one being my Pen Display , and the other being my flat screen tv. Now that you understand my set up I can now begin to ask some questions regarding the RX 580 SAPPHIRE NITRO+ special edition 8gb GDDR5 GPU . 

1.) I have noticed that the GPU has an led that spell out the world " SAPPHIRE " . Well this led is always on and I've had no issues with it to my knowledge, however I noticed that today that when I unplugged my monitor from my wall outlet … That " SAPPHIRE " led started to flash . It would stay on for 15 seconds then go off for about 5 seconds . I have a " power " button my pen display ( primary monitor ) that shuts the screen off but its still plugged in. ONLY when I unplug my primary monitor ( pen display ) from the outlet will i see it flash . If I keep it plugged in it won't flash. I must also point out that their were times in the past ( Having my now 2nd display - flat screen tv ) where I've downloaded a game over night and can see the led light up in the dark as i turned my TV off. It would never flash , but keep in mind the HDMI cord for the tv always stayed plugged in as well as the tv even though the tv was off. 

So... is this a normal feature of this card to flash when it can't detect a display due to it being unplugged ? 

2.) I've had no other issues with my GPU LED's  at all and as I'm typing this all seems fine . I do however have one small concern regarding the led lights on the GPU itself . So … are the led lights " SAPPHIRE " supposed to last for a long time ? If for some odd reason the led lights go out on the GPU , can they be replaced ? I've noticed that led lights can give you indicators for what something means should an error occur . I'm just hoping its actually possible for me to replace the led lights on the GPU should I ever need to. 

3.) I've noticed that my motherboard bios allows me to turn off led lights( on the motherboard only ) via the GUI( Graphical User Interface ? ) So is there anyway to disable the led lights on the RX 580 SAPPHIRE NITRO+ special edition 8gb GDDR5 GPU ? 

4.) Should I be worried about saving the led lights by not having them on all the time ? or are the life expectancy of these led lights built to last for many many years to come ? 

*** Just a side note my GPU was bought brand new but I bought it 4 years ago.  

0 Likes
1 Solution
apkbgmi
Journeyman III

Hi there,

I understand your setup with the primary monitor being your Graphics IPS Pen Display and the secondary monitor being your flat screen TV. Now, let's address your questions regarding the RX 580 SAPPHIRE NITRO+ special edition 8gb GDDR5 GPU:

1. The flashing "SAPPHIRE" LED on the GPU when you unplug your primary monitor is likely a normal feature. GPUs often have LEDs that indicate their status or certain conditions. In this case, the flashing LED could be indicating that the GPU is active but can't detect a display when your primary monitor is unplugged. As long as you don't encounter any other issues with your GPU, it's probably nothing to be concerned about.

2. Generally, LED lights on GPUs are designed to last for a long time. They are durable and shouldn't be a cause for concern. However, in the rare event that an LED light does go out, they are usually not user-replaceable. If you face any issues with the LEDs, it's best to contact the manufacturer or seek professional assistance for possible solutions.

3. As for disabling the LED lights on the RX 580 SAPPHIRE NITRO+ GPU, it depends on the specific model and the GPU's software. Some GPUs come with software that allows you to control the LED settings, including turning them off. You can check the manufacturer's official website or the GPU's manual to see if there's any software available for controlling the LEDs.

4. LED lights, when used normally, have a long life expectancy and are built to last for many years. You don't need to worry about saving them by turning them off, as they are designed to withstand prolonged use.

In summary, the flashing LED when unplugging your monitor is likely normal. LED lights on GPUs are generally long-lasting, and although they may not be user-replaceable, they are designed to endure regular use. If you want to disable the GPU's LED lights, check if there's any dedicated software available for your specific model. Otherwise, there's no need to be concerned about leaving the LEDs on for extended periods.

If you encounter any other issues or have further questions, feel free to ask. Best of luck with your art and gaming endeavors!

Best Regards

CEO apkbgmi

View solution in original post

10 Replies
nuriyokan
Adept I

Sorry one more important detail I need to add in to clear up any possible confusion. So my 2nd monitor ( tv ) is currently being used by my ps3. Sorry i was trying not to add in that part because I figured it'd be rambling but this may be useful to know. So basically when i was having this problem , the tv wasn't connected to the pc at all its being used elsewhere . so the only display my PC has as of now is the Pen Display. I'm wondering if that flash is due to it not being able to detect a Display at all once the Pen Display ( primary monitor ) is unplugged from the wall. 

Reason I unplugged it was just to not have it running while not using it as I gamed for a few hours on my ps3 playing kingdom hearts . I would only keep it running if I needed to check an email or something. Sorry once again . I wanted to try to omit these details but turns out it may actually help with the understanding overall. 

0 Likes
shadow118
Adept I

Don't know about the flashing, but as for 3. and 4. - there should be some software from Sapphire, that controls the GPU LEDs. At least that's how it was with my Gigabyte RX580, I just turned the LEDs off.

You probably shouldn't worry about longevity, LEDs last a long time

Also, why not just keep the other monitor plugged in?

Ryzen 5 3600 | Gigabyte B450M DS3H | MSI Mech 2x RX 6750 XT | G.Skill Aegis 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz | Viper M.2 VP4100 1TB | Toshiba P300 2TB | WD Blue 1TB | Kingston SV300 120GB

Yea i figured I could just try out Trixxx software for the led but not sure if it will let me turn the led's all the way off. The reason i don't keep the other monitor plugged in ? I do but i was currently using monitor 2 on my ps3. I think you mean why didn't i just leave my pen display on . The reason for that is because Kingdom hearts is an RPG but its not just one game... its 6 games in a set . I'll be gaming for days at a time so I really only had my pc plugged in to check an email , or write some notes down about which enemies drop certain items. I never just leave my devices on if i won't really be using them.  I found out that i could just hit the power button on my pen display and don't have to worry about the flashing . My guess is that when no display is present my gpu just flashes but other than that it will not flash. I just want to be 100% sure that my theory is correct about it being some built in feature . 

0 Likes

What was the name of the exact software you used for your GPU ? I mean we both have an Rx580 but yours is by Gigabyte while mine is by SAPPHIRE . 

0 Likes

I think it was called Gigabyte RGB Fusion 2.0. 

But I don't use it anymore since I upgraded my GPU. My current MSI GPU doesn't have any LED lights 

Ryzen 5 3600 | Gigabyte B450M DS3H | MSI Mech 2x RX 6750 XT | G.Skill Aegis 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz | Viper M.2 VP4100 1TB | Toshiba P300 2TB | WD Blue 1TB | Kingston SV300 120GB

Yes you were correct as this guy explains it here( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF10IA0WjOA&ab_channel=SapphireTechnology ) so this is the solution to 2, 3 and 4. 

I'll have to find my manual and see if 1.) is indeed a feature of the sapphire rx580 . Thanks for your help with 2, 3, and 4 though . 

0 Likes
apkbgmi
Journeyman III

Hi there,

I understand your setup with the primary monitor being your Graphics IPS Pen Display and the secondary monitor being your flat screen TV. Now, let's address your questions regarding the RX 580 SAPPHIRE NITRO+ special edition 8gb GDDR5 GPU:

1. The flashing "SAPPHIRE" LED on the GPU when you unplug your primary monitor is likely a normal feature. GPUs often have LEDs that indicate their status or certain conditions. In this case, the flashing LED could be indicating that the GPU is active but can't detect a display when your primary monitor is unplugged. As long as you don't encounter any other issues with your GPU, it's probably nothing to be concerned about.

2. Generally, LED lights on GPUs are designed to last for a long time. They are durable and shouldn't be a cause for concern. However, in the rare event that an LED light does go out, they are usually not user-replaceable. If you face any issues with the LEDs, it's best to contact the manufacturer or seek professional assistance for possible solutions.

3. As for disabling the LED lights on the RX 580 SAPPHIRE NITRO+ GPU, it depends on the specific model and the GPU's software. Some GPUs come with software that allows you to control the LED settings, including turning them off. You can check the manufacturer's official website or the GPU's manual to see if there's any software available for controlling the LEDs.

4. LED lights, when used normally, have a long life expectancy and are built to last for many years. You don't need to worry about saving them by turning them off, as they are designed to withstand prolonged use.

In summary, the flashing LED when unplugging your monitor is likely normal. LED lights on GPUs are generally long-lasting, and although they may not be user-replaceable, they are designed to endure regular use. If you want to disable the GPU's LED lights, check if there's any dedicated software available for your specific model. Otherwise, there's no need to be concerned about leaving the LEDs on for extended periods.

If you encounter any other issues or have further questions, feel free to ask. Best of luck with your art and gaming endeavors!

Best Regards

CEO apkbgmi

Thanks for your replies ! I went a head and ran a few test via cinebench for my cpu , BurninTest + Benchmark heaven/DMC 5 for my gpu , Memtest86 for my ram, and ryzen master for temps. All seems normal with zero errors and i also fixed my windows install with SFC/Scannow and the DISM Image Restore Health command. Good thing is no issues are present. Thanks once again ! 

0 Likes
GavinBrody
Journeyman III

I want to answer of question no 3:

Check if Sapphire provides any software specifically designed for their graphics cards. Some GPU manufacturers offer software that allows Airtel network Not Working users to control the RGB lighting on their cards. Look for software like "Sapphire TriXX" or similar.

AdonisDuncan
Adept I

Certainly! It's common for GPUs to have LEDs that indicate activity or power status. The flashing "SAPPHIRE" LED when your primary monitor is unplugged is likely a normal response to a change in the display setup. LED lights on GPUs are generally durable and designed to last for the GPU's lifespan, but if they malfunction, they might be replaceable with technical expertise.

Disabling LED lights on a graphics card depends on the manufacturer's design; you can check official software from SAPPHIRE for control options. LEDs are built to last and don't need to be constantly turned off. Since your GPU is four years old, monitor any changes in behavior

0 Likes