cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

cpu999
Adept I

HAVE A RADEON 580 8GB GPU WITH A 525 WATT POWER SUPPLY IT HAS A 6PIN THE CARD CALLS FOR 8PIN DO I REALY NEED THE 2PIN ALSO ?

MY RIG IS A DELL PRECISION T 3500 ,INTEL XEON X5677 @ 3.47 GHZ,16.0 GB RAM,500GB SSD

6 Replies
Ray_AMD
Community Manager

Yes, you need an 8 Pin connector.

dacq
Adept III

Search ebay for "8-pin molex adapter". They're cheap to get.

leyvin
Miniboss

It depends on how the PCB was Designed.

Typically speaking., no... you'll be fine with a 6-Pin PCI-E Power Connector., just keep in mind you'll be limited to the Default Reference Power Limits of Polaris (10),. i.e. it'll behave like a Reference RX 480; instead of an RX 580; which does need an extra 15w for Reference that the PCI-E Slot and 6-Pin PCI-E Power doesn't quite provide. 

I mean they technically can, but not within the PCI-E Specifications; and so few Boards are designed to go beyond said Limits. 

Still there is a simple way to find out... connect the 6-Pin., if the Card and System Boots; then... yeah it'll be fine., if it doesn't, then no; you'll need the 8-Pin Connector. Chances are it'll be fine, as most AMD Card Designs don't physically limit Voltage Draw between 60-80% like NVIDIA Card Designs do; which eh, it is arguably better; but is also what leads to the High-Performance NVIDIA Cards having like 3x 8-Pin on them., which is just silly; as such can draw up to 450w on their own., plus 75w from the PCI-Slot. 

A key difference between using a 6-Pin and 8-Pin is well... 150w Vs. 225w (Total) Draw. 

Typically speaking the Reference RX 580 requires 165w., but as noted; if that's not available then either it will (or you can Manually set the Power Target to -10% … and it'll effectively run like a Reference RX 480. 

0 Likes

I went to the pc shop they sold me adapter to plug into my p/s  was female plug 6 pin from the p/s and a male 8 pin to gpu

On Monday, February 25, 2019, 8:01:07 PM PST, leyvin <amd-external@jiveon.com> wrote:

|

Community

Re: HAVE A RADEON 580 8GB GPU WITH A 525 WATT POWER SUPPLY IT HAS A 6PIN  THE CARD CALLS FOR 8PIN DO I REALY NEED THE 2PIN ALSO ?

in General Discussion

It depends on how the PCB was Designed.

Typically speaking., no... you'll be fine with a 6-Pin PCI-E Power Connector., just keep in mind you'll be limited to the Default Reference Power Limits of Polaris (10),. i.e. it'll behave like a Reference RX 480; instead of an RX 580; which does need an extra 15w for Reference that the PCI-E Slot and 6-Pin PCI-E Power doesn't quite provide. 

I mean they technically can, but not within the PCI-E Specifications; and so few Boards are designed to go beyond said Limits. 

Still there is a simple way to find out... connect the 6-Pin., if the Card and System Boots; then... yeah it'll be fine., if it doesn't, then no; you'll need the 8-Pin Connector. Chances are it'll be fine, as most AMD Card Designs don't physically limit Voltage Draw between 60-80% like NVIDIA Card Designs do; which eh, it is arguably better; but is also what leads to the High-Performance NVIDIA Cards having like 3x 8-Pin on them., which is just silly; as such can draw up to 450w on their own., plus 75w from the PCI-Slot. 

A key difference between using a 6-Pin and 8-Pin is well... 150w Vs. 225w (Total) Draw. 

Typically speaking the Reference RX 580 requires 165w., but as noted; if that's not available then either it will (or you can Manually set the Power Target to -10% … and it'll effectively run like a Reference RX 480. 

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Community

SHARE THE LOVE! Help other developers by marking replies to your questions as Helpful or Correct. If you are the original question asker, you can mark replies as Helpful or Correct by:

- Go to the message on Community (you’ll need to log in).

- Click on either the Helpful Answer button or the Correct Answer button.

- Pat yourself on the back! You’ve helped others who have the same question as you by telling them which replies are helpful and correct.

This email was sent by Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

|

0 Likes

the extra pins are ground lines

I would go for a new PSU in the 650W range to have some room for efficiency 

yes i think thats better

On Monday, February 25, 2019, 9:04:09 PM PST, hardcoregames™ <amd-external@jiveon.com> wrote:

|

Community

Re: HAVE A RADEON 580 8GB GPU WITH A 525 WATT POWER SUPPLY IT HAS A 6PIN  THE CARD CALLS FOR 8PIN DO I REALY NEED THE 2PIN ALSO ?

in General Discussion

the extra pins are ground lines

I would go for a new PSU in the 650W range to have some room for efficiency 

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Community

SHARE THE LOVE! Help other developers by marking replies to your questions as Helpful or Correct. If you are the original question asker, you can mark replies as Helpful or Correct by:

- Go to the message on Community (you’ll need to log in).

- Click on either the Helpful Answer button or the Correct Answer button.

- Pat yourself on the back! You’ve helped others who have the same question as you by telling them which replies are helpful and correct.

This email was sent by Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

|